Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LifeMiles availability finder

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: most of them
is there any way to limit searches to business/first only? I select business/first option but then the results show me lots of economy only itineraries in addition to the odd business class option once in a while. I presume there is no way to limit to business only?
Old Jan 21, 2023, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by glennaa11
is there any way to limit searches to business/first only? I select business/first option but then the results show me lots of economy only itineraries in addition to the odd business class option once in a while. I presume there is no way to limit to business only?
On the homepage, you can sort by the business or first columns; I'm not sure where you'd see economy only itineraries. The search tool also has this as a Pro feature (can filter for 1 seat in first, 2 direct seats in business, etc).
view-with-a-room likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:51 pm

Thank you for creating such an amazing award space search engine.

P
Old Jan 30, 2023, 1:10 am

great job.
So important and time-saving.
Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2023, 11:49 am

Is there a reason that LifeMiles was removed from the tool?
Old Nov 18, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: Lifemiles, Marriott Titanium,
Originally Posted by Ruber74
Is there a reason that LifeMiles was removed from the tool?
yes, Lifemiles is more down than operating so they took it down. Use United
Old Nov 19, 2023, 11:41 am

Is the website now being redirected to seats. aero? When I click on the link provided, I am redirected to seats.aero.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by golive
Is the website now being redirected to seats. aero? When I click on the link provided, I am redirected to seats.aero.
Yes. It was never intended to be a "fun little tool to help the community" It was developed to become a business, and now it is.

Regards
Old Nov 21, 2023, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Yes. It was never intended to be a "fun little tool to help the community" It was developed to become a business, and now it is.

Regards
thanks for clarifying, and it's not a problem at all. I have the PRO version Now I have to figure out why I don't find any availability on TP flights from LIS to Brazil (FOR, GRU, GIG, CNF).
Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Per https://seats.aero/lifemiles

"Due to LifeMiles system issues, we are currently unable to update LifeMiles availability reliably. You can find Star Alliance availability via our support for United MileagePlus and Air Canada Aeroplan. "

The tool isn't useless for Lifemiles, but availability on United and Aeroplan isn't the same as availability on LifeMiles. Not clear how valuable the tool is for United or Aeroplan. The United award search tool is easy to use. The Aeroplan award search tool is different...
Old Nov 24, 2023, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by golive
thanks for clarifying, and it's not a problem at all. I have the PRO version Now I have to figure out why I don't find any availability on TP flights from LIS to Brazil (FOR, GRU, GIG, CNF).
No problem at all and I was just being a bit sarcastic as it seems increasingly common for tool developers to join FT and imply they are creating a tool for their own usage that they just want to share with "the community." But what they are really doing is market research to create business.

And now, the developer of the "Lifemiles availability finder" is getting a painful lesson in exactly what it means to be a "business."

Regards
Old Nov 24, 2023, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
It did indeed become a business, but I built this site while I was happily employed, and ran it for a while without any sort of option to pay at all. However, around 6 months or so after I started it, it became quite expensive to run on its own, so I added an optional paid tier to ensure it could keep running.

I am fortunate that it’s now my full-time job to work on Seats.aero, but we still have no employees aside from my wife, who does customer support.

There’s a lot of reasons we had to remove LifeMiles, including instability of their system and hostility towards us. We might eventually convert other *A availability into LM availability based on what we know about their award chart and routing rules, but it’s a bit weird to do it. We could eventually bring LM support back, but I just don’t see the value given the lack of unique availability.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
It did indeed become a business, but I built this site while I was happily employed, and ran it for a while without any sort of option to pay at all. However, around 6 months or so after I started it, it became quite expensive to run on its own, so I added an optional paid tier to ensure it could keep running.

I am fortunate that it’s now my full-time job to work on Seats.aero, but we still have no employees aside from my wife, who does customer support.

There’s a lot of reasons we had to remove LifeMiles, including instability of their system and hostility towards us. We might eventually convert other *A availability into LM availability based on what we know about their award chart and routing rules, but it’s a bit weird to do it. We could eventually bring LM support back, but I just don’t see the value given the lack of unique availability.
dlflyer, appreciate your explanation and contribution to the community and the need to commercialize your efforts at some stage rather than keep on running it as a free community support. Couple of quick questions
1. I guess legal challenges will by airlines will also mean you incurring legal fees which you will have to find. Where do you stand on that front? Which airlines have sent you legal notices to stop scrapping their databases, and are you trying to negotiate a compromise with them?
2. Other than life Miles issues, are all the other airline award search tools working and providing "correct" answers?

Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
dlflyer, appreciate your explanation and contribution to the community and the need to commercialize your efforts at some stage rather than keep on running it as a free community support. Couple of quick questions
1. I guess legal challenges will by airlines will also mean you incurring legal fees which you will have to find. Where do you stand on that front? Which airlines have sent you legal notices to stop scrapping their databases, and are you trying to negotiate a compromise with them?
2. Other than life Miles issues, are all the other airline award search tools working and providing "correct" answers?

Thanks
Air Canada is the only airline or mileage program sending lawyers after us. Lawyers are certainly expensive but we have the resources to defend ourselves and will definitely continue to do so. We’ve always offered to work with any airline or mileage program on any problems, but Air Canada ignored this offer and sued us.

No other issues that I am aware of! We have a transparent status page at https://seats.aero/status which updates in real-time for any outages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.