Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Credit card chargeback for canceled Avianca fligt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit card chargeback for canceled Avianca fligt

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by puchong
Unfortunately this was a US to South America journey, so EC261 does not apply. Also, this was something that AV canceled - not I

Have filed DOT complaint but that does not get my money back. The question is how to escalate this dispute with Citi to make them return my money?
Next time use AMEX. Bank of America, Barclays, Chase, and Citi are horrible when it comes to backcharges but AMEX is excellent and really tries hard to help the customer.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA,US,AR,Hyatt, Hilton, holidayinn/AR Plus, DiscoPlus& JumboMas
Originally Posted by dgravina
I also had my flight (originating in MIA) cancelled by Avianca on Mar 17 and they continue to say my refund is "in process", but do not pay me. Barclays would not honor a charge back even with all the documentation listed above. They denied my appeal too ! I will file the DOT complaint but it does not look good. Think twice before handing over your hard earned cash to a foreign corporation domiciled in a country where consumer protection is effectively nonexistent.

If you bought in the USA I might be able to help you.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
Sorry to hear that some of you are having problems with chargebacks/disputes.

I had a cancellation from Avianca in April - after about 5 weeks of “your refund is being processed” I filed the dispute with my card - Discover.

They immediately posted a temporary credit to my account and - about 3 weeks later - said that Avianca had not contested the credit and closed the dispute in my favor.

I have another dispute in process — Iberia/Priceline and a Chase card — that is not going as smoothly. I’d suggest finding a phone number for the “disputes office” and trying to explain the issue to a real person (with some authority for disputes, not just customer service).

The previous poster is correct - make sure to have lots of documentation available.

Good luck!

Bill
AMEX and Discover manage their disputes much better than all the other credit cards. I had to fight with Tmobile and Chase for almost 8 months after Tmobile double charged me for a mistake made on their end and Chase was nearly useless.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 7:20 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by fly747first
Next time use AMEX. Bank of America, Barclays, Chase, and Citi are horrible when it comes to backcharges but AMEX is excellent and really tries hard to help the customer.
I have the exact opposite experience. Amex USA is in bed with airline partners and if an airline refuses a refund, Amex will side with them and make no attempt to help. Even on cancelled flights, flexible & refundable ticket, Amex refused to help me. Twice even, when I reopened the dispute and repeated that there was no reason whatsoever I should not get my money back. They closed the case, period, and refused to give an explanation or address the arguments that I raised.

Conversely, smooth sailing with Chase, although not with the same airlines.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 7:21 pm

Back on the subject of Avianca, is there someone that received money back on a cancelled flight yet?
Old Oct 15, 2020, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4
I have the exact opposite experience. Amex USA is in bed with airline partners and if an airline refuses a refund, Amex will side with them and make no attempt to help. Even on cancelled flights, flexible & refundable ticket, Amex refused to help me. Twice even, when I reopened the dispute and repeated that there was no reason whatsoever I should not get my money back. They closed the case, period, and refused to give an explanation or address the arguments that I raised.

Conversely, smooth sailing with Chase, although not with the same airlines.
AMEX sided with me on my dispute against Lifemiles and even when LF fought it, AMEX still ruled on my favor.
escape4 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The key to all of these is to do everything in writing (which includes webforms & screenshots) and to submit chargebacks with the necessary (but not irrelevant) documentation. The low level clericals who process these things need a road map and when you provide it, you win. It also helps if the merchant vendor (carrier) pushes back. Make certain to include:
1. E-ticket receipt
2. Notice of cancellation or significant change.
3. Your request for a refund to the original form of payment.
4. Any response from the carrier
5. Copy of the relevant part of either or both EC 261/2040 or US 14 CFR (best is the DOT Enforcement Notice of April 2020).

Your cover note should be short and to the point and describe what you are attaching. The extra 5-10 minutes work can help a great deal.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
The key to all of these is to do everything in writing (which includes webforms & screenshots) and to submit chargebacks with the necessary (but not irrelevant) documentation. The low level clericals who process these things need a road map and when you provide it, you win. It also helps if the merchant vendor (carrier) pushes back. Make certain to include:
1. E-ticket receipt
2. Notice of cancellation or significant change.
3. Your request for a refund to the original form of payment.
4. Any response from the carrier
5. Copy of the relevant part of either or both EC 261/2040 or US 14 CFR (best is the DOT Enforcement Notice of April 2020).

Your cover note should be short and to the point and describe what you are attaching. The extra 5-10 minutes work can help a great deal.
Yes, great advise, and if possible take screenshots showing dates. I showed AMEX proof that LF had cancelled my flights without even warning me at a time that their partner TK was still operating the flights.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 3:04 pm

Our group has 3 bookings for the same flights (RT LAX-UIO in December 2020) that were all cancelled. We only received a cancellation email for one leg of the return flight from UIO to LAX and only found out that all flights were cancelled when I went to check my reservation on the website a few weeks later and received a message about a using a voucher. Two were on an M fare and one was an XL fare. I was finally able to reach Avianca via WhatsApp and they confirmed that they had automatically issued vouchers, but that we could apply for refunds instead. They would not, however, confirm whether we would receive full refunds and said that it would be determined "upon review." The fare rules for M and XL state that refunds are at an "extra cost," but I'm assuming if the flights were cancelled by the carrier, we should be entitled to a full refund? Am I correct in my understanding?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:19 am

I finally got my money back. I had to file a complaint with the DOT though. 9 months !
Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:39 pm

I received an email from Avianca telling me that my cash refund was approved. Then one month later they e-mailed me again saying they are not paying because I initiated a charge back from Amex. They failed to mention that they themselves denied the charge back and I was rebilled months ago
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I received an email from Avianca telling me that my cash refund was approved.
Then please forward that email to your card issuer and request them to finalize the chargeback. With that email the merchant (Avianca) has given your a written assurance of a cash refund.

I was rebilled months ago
Technically speaking, your card was hit with a representment charge.
What you can do now is to request a so-called representment chargeback from your card-issueing bank, because the merchant has assured you refund in written form.
Often1 and escape4 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Originally Posted by escape4
Back on the subject of Avianca, is there someone that received money back on a cancelled flight yet?
I didn t and it seems Avianca/Lifemiles is doing their best to avoid refunding customers.

After 7 month I received two very complicated forms i should send them, with copies of my id, bank account, certificate from my bank etc... when they should just credit back my Visa Card, as every honest airline does.

I don t know what dishonest game Lifemiles is playing, but I for sure am done with them !
ewoo likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 7:34 pm

I registered just to chime in here.

I could bore you with the details of my refund saga, but suffice it to say to Avianca owes me about $250 that they have not yet paid. I have spent HOURS and HOURS and HOURS trying to claw back my $250. Honestly, if it was $50, I probably would have given up by now. Which is why they do what they do.

It took me a while to realize that what was happening was not merely incompetence or confusion or delay, it was an active strategy to defraud people. And I don't say that lightly. Avianca at this point is more a criminal syndicate than an airline.

I live in Colombia six months out of the year and let me tell you, it's very hard not to use Avianca. But I don't and never will. And I tell everyone I come into contact with that you entrust money with Avianca at your own risk.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 6:22 am

Update: I got my refund, literally days before I was going to contest the charge with the bank. It took a lot of cajoling, good-cop, bad-cop, dealing with about 8 different people, hours of work, but I got it.

I'm now going to end my Avianca boycott, but only under limited circumstances. I won't give them any money that I don't want to lose.
So a $30 flight from Bogotá to Santa Marta, yes, I'll do that if it's the best option.
A $300 flight from Bogotáto Lima...I'll search for other options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.