Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Does Avianca often switch out planes last-minute?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time creating a thread, so sorry if this is explained amateurishly.

I have a stash of LifeMiles and so for an upcoming trip (honeymoon, actually) I've been looking at award flights SCL-BOG-JFK. For many itineraries, they're flying the A320 or A319 on the SCL-BOG segment (with a recliner seat), but there are several saver-level flights that show a 787 with a lie-flat seat, which work with my dates. Flying a recliner seat certainly isn't the worst thing, but I did really like the idea of ending the trip with the comfort of a lie-flat seat. I'm really tempted to book this, but I've read on various sites about experiences where Avianca has last-minute changed planes and so that has made me nervous. I assume this is always a risk with any airline, but in everyone's experience, is Avianca particularly known for this and should I have hesitation about banking on a specific plane type with them?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
From my experience no. I have done about 20 flights with them but they never changed the type of the plane. But many people have complained for the JFK-BOG route that switches many times from 787 to A330. Also if the load is quite low i believe the chances are quite high. I have done the BOG-SCL once and the flight was on a A320 half empty.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ermis177
From my experience no. I have done about 20 flights with them but they never changed the type of the plane. But many people have complained for the JFK-BOG route that switches many times from 787 to A330. Also if the load is quite low i believe the chances are quite high. I have done the BOG-SCL once and the flight was on a A320 half empty.
Great, that’s very helpful to know - thanks for the info!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:37 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by ermis177
But many people have complained for the JFK-BOG route that switches many times from 787 to A330.
This happened to me recently on a LAX-BOG segment... the 787 was swapped for A330 about three weeks prior to the flight.

Also flew SCL-BOG and the scheduled equipment (787) was indeed what was flown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.