Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m
I just sent email and miles are back within a few hours after email confirmation.

$25 per person per ticket will not be refunded, though. The rest of tax, seems no one has received it.
That sounds like a very swift respond from them. When I called, I was essentially offered 2 options: pay $200 to get miles back in 48 hours or submit a cancellation fee waive request and get miles back in 15 days. I haven’t received any email confirmations yet.

I also learned this week that one of the flight leg has been cancelled by the airlines and was never informed by Lifemiles.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by lkar
I have a flight booked on AC in June that I booked using LifeMiles from PHX-YVR-LON. I just checked it on Avianca’s website and it shows the leg from YVR-LON as “cancelled.” When I check on AC.com it shows the flight as “changed.” It looks as though AC changed the flight number on the YVR-LON leg but everything else is the same — schedule, equipment, etc.

I wonder if flight number changes are showing as weird on LifeMiles’ end?

There does not appear to be any open partner availability for the flight at this time so if my ticket is no good I don’t think a rebook is currently possible. No idea if I still have a good ticket or not but I guess I need to call AC. Truth is given these reports my confidence is pretty low with lifemiles right now and I would probably take the free redeposit at this point. Taxes and charges were only $62 on two tickets so waiting 5 months is not a huge deal.
Just an update here -- LM rebooked me on the new flight.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 3:28 pm

I am still not clear with that current cancellation policy is for partner award flights. When is the change waiver until, and is this written on the website somewhere? I have a flight on NH in November that I know I certainly will not make. I've seen that the free cancellation must be within 60 days of the flight. On the Avianca site, its also written:

You can change it without a penalty fee, if you have a ticket scheduled to fly after October 31st, 2020, and you've booked:
International flights between March 4th and October 31st, 2020.
Domestic flights between March 14th and October 31st, 2020.
  • The non-penalty fee applies for all fares and also for flights booked with miles. It applies only for (1) once, if the flight date is after October 31st, 2020 and before June 30th, 2021.
  • For flights before October 31st, 2020, no fare difference or mileage charges will apply and multiple changes can be made if they are in the same cabin, to common points, and if your new flight is before October 31, 2020, (for tickets purchased at travel agencies only a maximum of 3 changes can be made), if your flight is after October 31st, 2020 you can only make 1 change. without paying a penalty.
  • It applies for domestic flights in Colombia, Ecuador and Peru and international flights operated by Avianca.
  • For tickets to/from Italy, the penalty fee exemption also applies for purchases prior to February 26th, 2020, and for tickets to/from China, the penalty exemption also applies for purchases prior to January 31st, 2020.
  • These measures don't apply to travelers who lose connections because of their responsibility.
  • For partially used LifeMiles tickets, only the flight date change will be allowed.
  • If you already know when you want to travel you can change the itinerary of your flight before June 30th, 2021.
So the change waiver ONLY applies to flights on Avianca metal? Still not sure where the 60 day fee free cancel is written.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by gbongc
I am still not clear with that current cancellation policy is for partner award flights. When is the change waiver until, and is this written on the website somewhere? I have a flight on NH in November that I know I certainly will not make. I've seen that the free cancellation must be within 60 days of the flight. On the Avianca site, its also written:

So the change waiver ONLY applies to flights on Avianca metal? Still not sure where the 60 day fee free cancel is written.
The poorly trained and highly incompetent Lifemiles staff will tell you that Avianca is a separate company and that the waiver only applies to flights on Avianca, even though the way that the published policy has been worded indicates that the waiver isn't exclusively for award tickets on Avianca.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 1:31 pm

Same here. I canceled 3 reservations (from other airlines canceled the flight) and received the miles.

also I got emails which show their system number (basically they are in the process of refund) and still nothing happened since (2 months ago)
Old Aug 18, 2020, 1:38 pm

I had two Lifemiles itineraries, one in March to JNB and another at the end of September to ICN.

For JNB, they refunded the miles, and after an e-mail exchange, agreed to waive the cancellation fee. I don't think I've received the refund for the award fees (~$150), but I'm not in a rush to call back to ask for that.

For ICN, I tried cancelling the tickets, but it was outside of their free COVID cancellation period. Then the airline cancelled the flight, and Lifemiles cancelled the ticket. I received no notification, just noticed it when I logged in to check on my ticket.

I called in to get a refund. The Lifemiles were refunded within a few days, and the award fees they said would take 5-7 months. But also a relatively small amount, so maybe I'll call back in February of next year if I haven't received refunds on both tickets by then..

Overall, the agents I spoke to on the phone and via e-mail were very friendly, polite, and fluent in English. I'd rate all of my customer service interactions with Lifemiles as positive so far!
Old Aug 18, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by voteforhe
I had two Lifemiles itineraries, one in March to JNB and another at the end of September to ICN.

For JNB, they refunded the miles, and after an e-mail exchange, agreed to waive the cancellation fee. I don't think I've received the refund for the award fees (~$150), but I'm not in a rush to call back to ask for that.

For ICN, I tried cancelling the tickets, but it was outside of their free COVID cancellation period. Then the airline cancelled the flight, and Lifemiles cancelled the ticket. I received no notification, just noticed it when I logged in to check on my ticket.

I called in to get a refund. The Lifemiles were refunded within a few days, and the award fees they said would take 5-7 months. But also a relatively small amount, so maybe I'll call back in February of next year if I haven't received refunds on both tickets by then..

Overall, the agents I spoke to on the phone and via e-mail were very friendly, polite, and fluent in English. I'd rate all of my customer service interactions with Lifemiles as positive so far!
The agent I spoke with was very friendly and competent and I wasn't charged a cancellation fee.

How long did it take for you to get your miles back?

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2020, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by voteforhe

I very much doubt you will get refunded the $150 given the critical condition that the company is in which is why they haven't issued any refunds since April
Old Aug 22, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I just cancelled a ticket on Wednesday and got the miles back today.
I'm pretty much resigned to losing them.
I don't care about the $10 in taxes.
Anyone have any thoughts on preserving them?
Old Aug 23, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
I just cancelled a ticket on Wednesday and got the miles back today.
I'm pretty much resigned to losing them.
I don't care about the $10 in taxes.
Anyone have any thoughts on preserving them?
Assuming Lifemiles survives (which at this point seems doubtful), then once the Covid situation is more stable, use your miles for an award ticket within a short time period and make sure to put the taxes on a credit card that offers decent travel delay benefits in case that your ticket isn't honored.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 7:43 am

Just got back from calling them using the pinned steps above.
Tried to change the date of my ticket (VIE-CDG-TPE in December) to something within August 2021.
After redirecting me for a couple of times, I was told to pay around 220$ due to the planned change - and that a change of route would not be possible (VIE-TPE would still be same).
Informing the agent that Avianca´s Corona rules, at least according to my understanding, offer a one-time change for free (travel date after 12/1) and also some flexibility regarding the route, he bascially hung up on me.
Was bit suprised he just pretended to not be able to hear me suddenly.

Anyone had a similiar experience or can help sharing another telephone number to get a hold for a change of travel date instead of complete cancellation (seems there are different parties involved)?

Thank you very much.

Nik
Old Aug 30, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phnxz
Just got back from calling them using the pinned steps above.
Tried to change the date of my ticket (VIE-CDG-TPE in December) to something within August 2021.
After redirecting me for a couple of times, I was told to pay around 220$ due to the planned change - and that a change of route would not be possible (VIE-TPE would still be same).
Informing the agent that Avianca´s Corona rules, at least according to my understanding, offer a one-time change for free (travel date after 12/1) and also some flexibility regarding the route, he bascially hung up on me.
Was bit suprised he just pretended to not be able to hear me suddenly.

Anyone had a similiar experience or can help sharing another telephone number to get a hold for a change of travel date instead of complete cancellation (seems there are different parties involved)?

Thank you very much.

Nik
There is no other phone number and unfortunately, Lifemiles' agents are consistently unhelpful. The last agent you got even quoted the wrong change amount which is $150 not $220 USD. Is Austrian operating your VIE-CDG-TPE itinerary? If you can wait a bit closer, maybe there will be a schedule change which will allow you to get your miles redeposited for free; just don't expect Lifemiles to refund taxes since they haven't issued any refunds since April.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
VIE or CDG to TPE will be operated by BR (and not OS).
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK AAR
VIE or CDG to TPE will be operated by BR (and not OS).
BR doesn't fly VIE-CDG and in the past both OS and BR flew VIE-TPE; OS stopped flying the latter due to increased competition with CI
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:09 am

As far as I can tell, flights booked after 9//30/20 are subject to the old change and cancellation fees. Is that correct? So best to book by tomorrow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.