Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by tr3k
I am sure you can come up with an explanation, but the fact remains - the screen shot booking method is at the mercy of Lifemiles, as there are no official rules. They can do whatever they want.
True, but they cooperate in most cases if one follows up the "unofficial" guidelines.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I am sure you can come up with an explanation, but the fact remains - the screen shot booking method is at the mercy of Lifemiles, as there are no official rules. They can do whatever they want.
The benefit of this and other threads is to work out the rules. What LM has advised you is consistent with prior data points.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Appologoes if this has been discussed upstream, but has anyone been able to book TAP award flights in business class on USA to LIS & v v routes? I'm specifically looking at ORD-LIS for this fall. Both AC and UA show the space but Lifemiles has nothing. I'm just wondering if anyone has been successful recently or if it's one of the many awards LM can't access.

Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:10 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Well here's a further development.

Thu: wrote in
Fri: response saying they sent info to specialized dept
Mon: followed up, mentioned routing I originally wanted was gone, but I found a new routing that worked, shared details
Tue response saying they followed up with specialized dept but it'd have to wait for an answer
Wed: I get 4 e-ticket emails for my new routing in the middle of the night but no other communication (not paid for)

I haven't heard back from the specialized department. Should I give them a call unprompted to try to pay for the ticket? (I booked a backup routing on AA miles in case AV didn't come through, but the Star routing gets me in earlier and I much prefer to ticket what they've gotten me.)

Does anyone know the number to call to get this ticketed? I take it it'll be different than the regular support line?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by helvetic
Well here's a further development.

Thu: wrote in
Fri: response saying they sent info to specialized dept
Mon: followed up, mentioned routing I originally wanted was gone, but I found a new routing that worked, shared details
Tue response saying they followed up with specialized dept but it'd have to wait for an answer
Wed: I get 4 e-ticket emails for my new routing in the middle of the night but no other communication (not paid for)

I haven't heard back from the specialized department. Should I give them a call unprompted to try to pay for the ticket? (I booked a backup routing on AA miles in case AV didn't come through, but the Star routing gets me in earlier and I much prefer to ticket what they've gotten me.)

Does anyone know the number to call to get this ticketed? I take it it'll be different than the regular support line?
Just call the regular Avianca call centre. I think option 3 is for Lifemiles. And then option 3 again for assistance (or whatever, but the menu is pretty easy, just follow the promots). That will take you through to a person, explain you wish to pay for an award booking. They will try and contact the payment fscility for you and connect you once they have someone.

They will then read back your itinerary and take payment.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:13 pm

Just spent 1.5 hrs on hold with phone CS to try to pay for the booking using miles. It is anything but easy. Did not work yet - waiting for a call back within 72 hrs.

Times like these make one appreciate UA MP.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just spent 1.5 hrs on hold with phone CS to try to pay for the booking using miles. It is anything but easy. Did not work yet - waiting for a call back within 72 hrs.

Times like these make one appreciate UA MP.
What was the problem (difficulties with credit card?)

I’ve done five of these since September and the payment is pretty quick... the main hold is for them to reach the payment department (can be five minutes or so), and then once they hit ‘process’ for the credit card that can take another 3-5 minutes.

Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

What was the problem (difficulties with credit card?)

I’ve done five of these since September and the payment is pretty quick... the main hold is for them to reach the payment department (can be five minutes or so), and then once they hit ‘process’ for the credit card that can take another 3-5 minutes.

First, the actual booking process took over 30 minutes (mostly me being placed on repeated hold).

Then, PIN code did not work. I know what my PIN code is, it's been set since I opened the Lifemiles account. No-go. On request of CS rep. I reset the PIN on the web site, but still - not accepted over the phone. Finally rep. promised someone should call me to complete the transaction "in 24 to 72 hours". Took her over 30 minutes to get through on the phone to the people that are supposed to handle that (so I was on hold with her and she - with those guys, I guess).

Now I need to sleep, eat and go potty with my phone, in case I miss the magic call.

Sent an email to Lifemiles support with my account and booking info just in case - I sure hope this works and they ticket it before the reservation expires.

Very frustrating.

Last edited by tr3k; Mar 27, 2019 at 8:56 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA, AS
First, the actual booking process took over 30 minutes (mostly me being placed on repeated hold).

Then, PIN code did not work. I know what my PIN code is, it's been set since I opened the Lifemiles account. No-go. On request of CS rep. I reset the PIN on the web site, but still - not accepted over the phone. Finally rep. promised someone should call me to complete the transaction "in 24 to 72 hours". Took her over 30 minutes to get through on the phone to the people that are supposed to handle that (so I was on hold with her and she - with those guys, I guess).

Now I need to sleep, eat and go potty with my phone, in case I miss the magic call.

Sent an email to Lifemiles support with my account and booking info just in case - I sure hope this works and they ticket it before the reservation expires.

Very frustrating.
It's a been a long time since I did it but entering a CC number or PIN to LifeMiles there was always a somewhat bad connection which caused the DTMF tones to have corruption. I had to make sure to press each key for 1-2 seconds with 1/2-1 second in between key presses. When I got the timing right it worked. The tones have to be long enough to be recognized even with distortion on the line and there needs to be enough time between the tones but not too much time or it would error out. Quite frustrating but once I got the rhythm down I could usually do it within a couple of tries. The biggest issue was if I hit the keys too fast it would never work.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How odd! I haven’t been asked for a PIN for any bookings. Only for cancellations. I wonder what’s up.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:02 am

I do not own a landline. On a cell phone length of key press is not an applicable concept (nor is it on most modern landlines, but Lifemiles call center is in Salvador, I believe, so may be still applies there)

Will try to call again today - our summer plans hinge on this ticket working out.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not own a landline. On a cell phone length of key press is not an applicable concept (nor is it on most modern landlines, but Lifemiles call center is in Salvador, I believe, so may be still applies there)

Will try to call again today - our summer plans hinge on this ticket working out.
You seem to be having an extraordinary number of issues (between this and other threads). The main issue with LM is online availability for connecting flights to make up an itinerary. But the screenshot method usually resolves that (can take up to 10 days), and ticketing is pretty painless all things considered (bad lines and having to wait for the right department to find someone who speaks English). I call the 1800 (free call) number in the USA and it connects to the LM call centre but at cheap rates (because the call is routed via the USA).

Even with CC I am never asked for a PIN. I don't know if that's because they have my CC on file and I've been using it frequently?

LM is very professional, almost always coming through. One time I sent off screenshots and completely forgot to send any other details (passport scan, name and everything else). They used my email address, went into my account, created the booking and emailed me the itinerary (and asked for the passport at that stage).

Pretty good.
IAH2MEL likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:51 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Managed to get my booking ticketed after a full week-long process.

My original routing A-B-C-D routing disappeared by the time they made the reservation, but got an decent A-X-C-D routing.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize until after completing the booking that it downgraded my all-aisle-access TG 359 for a crappy 2-2-2 TG 788. I guess I'll have to live with that.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
You seem to be having an extraordinary number of issues (between this and other threads).
That's what my experience is. Guess they just don't like me.

- Sent an email to support to ask about the ticketing yesterday night. No reply.
- Called again this morning. "The payment department did not yet (do something unintelligible, I asked both in English and in Spanish - still don't get it)", so all I can do is wait until they call me. If they do not call me today - I should call back tomorrow, and "they will try to help me".
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA, AS

Dialing the original phone number the length of the keypress is not relevant, but I believe once the call is connected and you press a key the tone plays for as long as you hold down the key, at least this is the way I recall it to work on iPhone. I also have a (non modern) landline and may have used it for LifeMiles key entry since cell phones are more prone to signal issues on the connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.