Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:54 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Should be quicker then But booking LH F at the 14 day window can still result in a 3-4 day window before they get back. So it can be cutting it fine.
Got a response telling me to wait:

We apologize for the encountered experience while trying to redeem your booking. We've escalated your manual booking request to the respective department. We recommend you to be aware of your emails, if your request is approved, the itinerary will be sent to your email address and they'll contact you to the provided number.
Let's see how long until the next response.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:45 am

Ok, so after about 12 days I get this response:
Our specialized department has canceled your request since the lack of availability is not considered an error since the redemption agreements between each airline and each loyalty program are different. We recommend you to look on alternate routes or dates under our Fly section (LifeMiles number and password needed).
So it appears that the "screenshot" method does not work.

Add to that that Lifemiles availability has been terrible recently. Any route I try - nothing at all, all the way till the end of the year.

Time to use up my miles and bail on them, I guess (if I can find a way to use them). Glad I didn't buy any during their recent "promotions".
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by tr3k
Ok, so after about 12 days I get this response:

So it appears that the "screenshot" method does not work.

Add to that that Lifemiles availability has been terrible recently. Any route I try - nothing at all, all the way till the end of the year.

Time to use up my miles and bail on them, I guess (if I can find a way to use them). Glad I didn't buy any during their recent "promotions".
Can you let us know what you were asking for? You sent the screenshots showing availability on each leg?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Matthew_DC
Got it. Thank you very much!

I find the screenshot approach more difficult with the new interface. At least on my laptop, I can't get the date and the segment to appear on the same screen, so it involves stitching a picture together. It's done so let's see if LM will come through or not.
Hey Matt any updates here. Did they get back to you yet?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:41 pm

Can you let us know what you were asking for? You sent the screenshots showing availability on each leg?
Yes, I sent screenshots showing availability on each leg (still available as of now), as well as the desired itinerary (asking to combine both legs into a single trip). The answer was - "no"
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Hmm, award space disappeared… still no follow up from LM after their first response… this is frustrating
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:55 pm

Hi, anyone know what's happened to the Star Alliance award chart? Seems none of the links are working. I.e.
https://www.lifemiles.com/blocked?_e...nsid=773806249
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I sent screenshots showing availability on each leg (still available as of now), as well as the desired itinerary (asking to combine both legs into a single trip). The answer was - "no"
I wonder if they consider your requested itinerary breaches some sort of routing rules? (there were also no other flights that could have got you from your origin to destination that were showing on line?)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:02 am

I wonder if they consider your requested itinerary breaches some sort of routing rules? (there were also no other flights that could have got you from your origin to destination that were showing on line?)
I am sure they could come up with an explanation. However, my requested itinerary shows up (on a very few dates) as a valid bookable itinerary, so it's not against the rules. There were other flights for the route, but that is not the reason for denial they quoted.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sure they could come up with an explanation. However, my requested itinerary shows up (on a very few dates) as a valid bookable itinerary, so it's not against the rules. There were other flights for the route, but that is not the reason for denial they quoted.
For the screenshot method you also need to send a screenshot showing NO availability for the route you wish to book. So you send A-B and B-C, but there needs to be a third one that shows A-C is not available online.

From what you've said, it sounds like A-C is actually available but maybe not on the airlines you wanted?

In that case, LM was correct. Lack of availability for a specific airline on A-C for the day you want is not a reason for them to manually book it (and as you say, it is available on other days, just not the day you want).
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:48 pm

For the screenshot method you also need to send a screenshot showing NO availability for the route you wish to book. So you send A-B and B-C, but there needs to be a third one that shows A-C is not available online.
I've never sent A-C before and booked a few screenshot itins
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:27 pm

From what you've said, it sounds like A-C is actually available but maybe not on the airlines you wanted?

In that case, LM was correct. Lack of availability for a specific airline on A-C for the day you want is not a reason for them to manually book it (and as you say, it is available on other days, just not the day you want).

Interesting. What about A-C available in economy only (i'm looking for J)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by mlqsko
I've never sent A-C before and booked a few screenshot itins
Interesting. I've booked all my screenshot itins using an A-C submission.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess if you don’t sent the A-C maybe LM does the check anyway? In the case of tr3k, if LM checked and found an alternate set of airlines operating A-C they had grounds to deny the manual booking request.

Same would apply for helvetic... LM would say that lack of availability isn’t reason to do a manual booking process.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:55 pm

I am sure you can come up with an explanation, but the fact remains - the screen shot booking method is at the mercy of Lifemiles, as there are no official rules. They can do whatever they want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.