Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:33 pm

Made a change of my next year itinerary, just moved both flights 10 days later than the original booking, they charged me $30 reissue fee.
Then the ticket number changed from 134 -xxxxxxxxxx to 202-xxxxxxxxxx.
Very interesting.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by jjjohn
Made a change of my next year itinerary, just moved both flights 10 days later than the original booking, they charged me $30 reissue fee.
Then the ticket number changed from 134 -xxxxxxxxxx to 202-xxxxxxxxxx.
Very interesting.
You sure it wasn't the other way around? IIRC the speculation was that the 202-xxxxxxxxxx tickets were issued by the website and the the 134-xxxxxxxxxx tickets were from the call center. One is Avianca the other is Taca. They merged years ago but they kept both tickets.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You sure it wasn't the other way around? IIRC the speculation was that the 202-xxxxxxxxxx tickets were issued by the website and the the 134-xxxxxxxxxx tickets were from the call center. One is Avianca the other is Taca. They merged years ago but they kept both tickets.
Not the other way,. The original booking was also made via call center. Error when processed to payment page, so they called me to finalize the booking. Then I rescheduled the trip yesterday, also via phone.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Not the other way,. The original booking was also made via call center. Error when processed to payment page, so they called me to finalize the booking. Then I rescheduled the trip yesterday, also via phone.
Thanks for the info. I guess they use both 134 and 202 interchangeably then? I wonder why?
Old Oct 26, 2020, 2:40 pm

How does that work, when they call you back? I had a similar issue, tried to make redemption on SK/LX, got the seats, but it didn't even lead me to the payment page to enter CC info for the taxes and fees (Why? I never had this issue before, previous redemptions have been smooth, all online)
(Background, I had made duplicate booking through UA earlier but decided straight after I was better off liquidating my LifeMiles given the current bankruptcy situation with AV. What I wanted to do was ticket through AV and once I had a ticket number, immediately cancel the booking through UA to avoid SK/LX system cancelling both)
Called the LifeMiles center with the PNR showing on my error screen, she first told me itinerary couldn't be completed because connection time more than 24h, which wasn't true, she had missed the fact that first flight arrives the next day and connects in 1h10. Then she said her system wouldn't go through with the booking, she asked a colleague in another department to complete it for me and that they would call me back.
The idea of waiting for a callback was beyond my comfort zone, as I didn't want to jeopardize losing the original booking through UA in case AV messed something up.

1) did my attempt fail because system already spotted duplicate for the same flights? or is this technical glitch common, that we have to call in to process payment?
2) is it just me or is the sound quality of the phone call with the call center really rubbish? I could hardly hear the agent, and I was using my home wifi calling through Skype. Never have problem with other airlines.
3) now that I am still sitting on a pile of AV miles, I guess just have to pray that they don't go under before LH brings back F to the US next spring...
Old Oct 26, 2020, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
1) did my attempt fail because system already spotted duplicate for the same flights? or is this technical glitch common, that we have to call in to process payment?
2) is it just me or is the sound quality of the phone call with the call center really rubbish? I could hardly hear the agent, and I was using my home wifi calling through Skype. Never have problem with other airlines.
3) now that I am still sitting on a pile of AV miles, I guess just have to pray that they don't go under before LH brings back F to the US next spring...
1) Would not happen because of a duplicate. LM doesn't always have the same availability as other star members, so it's possible they had access to fewer seats than UA... in that case you snagged the seats via UA and LM's system hasn't caught up yet (phantom seats). It's not uncommon for the payment page to fail on LM. You then need to call. But there are also plenty of bookings that go through normally. It's one of the quirks of LM.
2) the phone quality is bad. Probably some sort of internet call. For a free call on skype I usually overlook the call quality.
3) it's a risk. LM has some pretty good deals from time to time. And generous without fuel surcharges. But the downside are the booking problems and lack of availability. The 'special department' to process email requests is usually pretty good. They can be slow to respond (4 days or more in some cases), but they are competent and do their job well.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 3:42 pm

How does that work, when they call you back? I had a similar issue, tried to make redemption on SK/LX, got the seats, but it didn't even lead me to the payment page to enter CC info for the taxes and fees (Why? I never had this issue before, previous redemptions have been smooth, all online)
(Background, I had made duplicate booking through UA earlier but decided straight after I was better off liquidating my LifeMiles given the current bankruptcy situation with AV. What I wanted to do was ticket through AV and once I had a ticket number, immediately cancel the booking through UA to avoid SK/LX system cancelling both)
Called the LifeMiles center with the PNR showing on my error screen, she first told me itinerary couldn't be completed because connection time more than 24h, which wasn't true, she had missed the fact that first flight arrives the next day and connects in 1h10. Then she said her system wouldn't go through with the booking, she asked a colleague in another department to complete it for me and that they would call me back.
The idea of waiting for a callback was beyond my comfort zone, as I didn't want to jeopardize losing the original booking through UA in case AV messed something up.

I once tried to make a double booking with TK. I used Aeroplan for the original booking. I decided that I wanted to secure the same flight with Lifemiles instead. Lifemiles was able to piece together the itinerary for me (through the email method). I had missed Lifemile's phone call to process payment, but managed to reach out to them ~2hrs later. They said that TK had already cancelled my ticket by then, which I assume is because of duplicate booking. I sent another email to Lifemiles email support to secure the same exact seats after I cancelled my seats with Aeroplan, and the ticket processed just fine. This was back in ~August 2020. Their call center sounds fine to me usually.

That said, I am also sitting on a huge pile of Lifemiles... also hoping for the return of LH F.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
1) Would not happen because of a duplicate. LM doesn't always have the same availability as other star members, so it's possible they had access to fewer seats than UA... in that case you snagged the seats via UA and LM's system hasn't caught up yet (phantom seats). It's not uncommon for the payment page to fail on LM. You then need to call. But there are also plenty of bookings that go through normally. It's one of the quirks of LM.
2) the phone quality is bad. Probably some sort of internet call. For a free call on skype I usually overlook the call quality.
3) it's a risk. LM has some pretty good deals from time to time. And generous without fuel surcharges. But the downside are the booking problems and lack of availability. The 'special department' to process email requests is usually pretty good. They can be slow to respond (4 days or more in some cases), but they are competent and do their job well.
Having to call in just makes everything so tedious, but I guess that's the price to pay for cheap redemption rates and no fuel surcharges.
I think many of us are in the same boat, with a load of AV miles we want to liquidate, but having a very glitchy website/unreliable IT and email requests taking +/- 4 days to process could be a problem for those wanting to redeem last-minute LH F space when it does come back...
Old Oct 26, 2020, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by gbongc
I once tried to make a double booking with TK. I used Aeroplan for the original booking. I decided that I wanted to secure the same flight with Lifemiles instead. Lifemiles was able to piece together the itinerary for me (through the email method). I had missed Lifemile's phone call to process payment, but managed to reach out to them ~2hrs later. They said that TK had already cancelled my ticket by then, which I assume is because of duplicate booking. I sent another email to Lifemiles email support to secure the same exact seats after I cancelled my seats with Aeroplan, and the ticket processed just fine. This was back in ~August 2020. Their call center sounds fine to me usually.

That said, I am also sitting on a huge pile of Lifemiles... also hoping for the return of LH F.
you were lucky that the TK system put the cancelled AC redemption back as award inventory...! and that you were able to snag the seat eventually with AV.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 4:04 pm

Having to call in just makes everything so tedious, but I guess that's the price to pay for cheap redemption rates and no fuel surcharges.
I think many of us are in the same boat, with a load of AV miles we want to liquidate, but having a very glitchy website/unreliable IT and email requests taking +/- 4 days to process could be a problem for those wanting to redeem last-minute LH F space when it does come back...
LM is truly hit or miss. One time, my manual booking request took almost 2 weeks for them to process (luckily the award space was still there). The past few months, the 2 manual booking requests I have made took them ~12hrs to process, so truly ymmv.

Last year, I managed to get 2 LH F T-1 from departure through Lifemiles, including manual payment processing. It was amazing.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by gbongc
LM is truly hit or miss. One time, my manual booking request took almost 2 weeks for them to process (luckily the award space was still there). The past few months, the 2 manual booking requests I have made took them ~12hrs to process, so truly ymmv.

Last year, I managed to get 2 LH F T-1 from departure through Lifemiles, including manual payment processing. It was amazing.
Great for you to able able to snag 2x LH F T-1...!
Wouldn't it be easier to call in (even with a long wait) and give CC info over the phone? I would be very stressed having to wait for their phone call...considering how hit and miss their service is.
What are the data points of booking *A awards on the app? Same issue with payment like on website...?
Old Oct 27, 2020, 5:15 am

Have a few bookings didn't pass the payment page in the past 2 months, all of them received call back from Lifemiles and settled everything within 30min.
I also received email of the booking with all the detail and inform me to call in to complete the booking.

As far as I understand, you have 3 days to complete the booking.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 6:09 am

Have a few bookings didn't pass the payment page in the past 2 months, all of them received call back from Lifemiles and settled everything within 30min.
I also received email of the booking with all the detail and inform me to call in to complete the booking.

As far as I understand, you have 3 days to complete the booking.
Thanks for data point. When I got the error screen, it gave me the PNR, and then funnily said, do not close this window until a representative is available to assist you. I was expecting a chat window to open up at any moment (silly me, lol) but while waiting I called the LifeMiles line simultaneously.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I am trying to book one-way trip with one connection, but for some reason it says unavailable for the date I want.
However, if I try to book as multi-city for the same date, I can book them with more miles..
The same one-way trip is available on different dates, so why not the date I want?
I should call LifeMiles to make this happen???
Old Nov 10, 2020, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I am trying to book one-way trip with one connection, but for some reason it says unavailable for the date I want.
However, if I try to book as multi-city for the same date, I can book them with more miles..
The same one-way trip is available on different dates, so why not the date I want?
I should call LifeMiles to make this happen???
For manual piecing together of itinerary, the call center will probably direct you to their email support team. Email support has been successfully in creating all the manual itineraries that I have requested in the past. Instructions on how to email the support team is in the wiki. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.