Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana American Express Card by BofA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2008, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Anybody else sign up for the Asiana Amex Card by Bank of America?

I had the Asiana Visa by Bank of America for a couple of years but switched to the Starwood AMEX since you get the starwood bonus so it was 1.25 miles per $1. The new Asiana Amex give 2 miles per $1. It does have a $99 annual fee which is annoying but they do give an yearly $100 rebate on a plane ticket which evens it out if you fly Asiana once a year. Also, the 10,000 mile certificate once a year is a nice feature, too bad, you can't keep the miles, the cert can only be used to redeem miles and you lose it, if you don't use it. I got a 50K limit on the card and plan to make it my main card.

The only concern I have which nobody could answer is the Warranty Manager. For regular Amex cards, if you cancel the card, as long as you have another AMEX with the extended warranty, whatever you bought on the card keeps the extended warranty. Since this Amex is through BofA, both BofA and Amex didn't know what happens if I cancel the Asiana Amex. Not sure yet if I'm going to keep a card for a long time especially one with a $99 annual fee unless I really use it a lot. What can I say, I'm a frugal-cheap guy.

Alex
Old May 9, 2008, 9:25 am

Frankly speaking, I don't think this is that huge deal. Starting bonus is only 5000 (while KE gives 15000) and high annual fee... Well, I like $100 rebate part, since I can use it even through travel agency (while KE allows only website purchase, which is bookable from only gate cities, not Austin). That 10000 certificate is kind of headache to use it, if not living in Korea. Double milege is good thing if use a lot, maybe if spend $20000 per year or more. It depends.. but I would make UA/AA/NW's first year free card. And then cancel after one year. I'm also a cheap guy.

Sorry I can't help about warranty stuff.
Old May 10, 2008, 12:20 am
Original Poster

The 10K cert can be used anywhere, it's just a 10K reduction whenever you redeem miles. Makes a biz class seat from the US to Korea, only 95K. Ever since they raised all the redemption levels, I thought it was impossible to get a flight anytime soon. I spend every single cent on my CC and average about 30K, I made the free upgrade to Starwood gold for spending 30K last year on the Starwood AMEX.

I'm thinking, using the 10k cert, it brings down an economy ticket to 58K miles, so spending $30k gets you a free economy ticket. Ticket is worth $1100 before taxes. So with my fuzzy math, it's at least 3 cents you get back with every dollar spent, almost 4 cents. If you prefer biz class it jacks up the value even more.

I already got the NW card and cancelled it last year before the fee. I just stick with Asiana because keeping Diamond/Star Gold is decently doable.
Old May 10, 2008, 8:24 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
This is for customers based where? USA, Korea, elsewhere? I've never seen any BofA's in Korea.
Old May 11, 2008, 12:44 am
Original Poster

It's for US customers, yeah there are no BofA's in Korea, I usually use HSBC or Citibank when need ATM cash in Korea.
Old May 20, 2008, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
So, it appears they offer the Visa and this new Amex.

2 miles per dollar on all purchases is a pretty good deal. I can't think of any other card in the US that offers 2 miles per dollar on all purchases.

Last edited by TWAforever; May 21, 2008 at 12:01 am Reason: it appears one can still apply for the Visa as well
Old May 22, 2008, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Well, I had this card for about a week now, it's run by BofA through FIA card services. But you access the account on the BofA website, not FIA.

This card is the saving grace of the Asiana program as long as they keep it at 2 miles per dollar because if they reduce it, I'm back to starwood AMEX. Asiana redemption values for Star Alliance flights are crazy high compared to other airlines, along with their standard redemption rate. With this card, it helps take out some of the sting. I've been sticking with Asiana so far because I don't travel much lately and keeping Star Gold is a bit easier.

What I miss about the Starwood is the RFID chip, separate charges for each card. The Asiana card gives everyone the same number just like a Visa or MC. Also, the Asiana Amex is missing the return protection feature.

Mileage should be credited after every billing cycle just like the Visa. I also save an extra $100 since I just bought tickets so my annual fee for this year is a wash.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 7:58 pm

'Three miles for every dollar spent at select grocery store locations'

Has anyone been able to find an actual list??? Would appreciate any information/links.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:54 am

Programs: UA, DL, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by moolman
It's for US customers, yeah there are no BofA's in Korea, I usually use HSBC or Citibank when need ATM cash in Korea.
Not to mention very few places here in Korea seem to take AmEx. Not very useful when visiting "home"
Old Jun 3, 2008, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by gwbutton
Has anyone been able to find an actual list??? Would appreciate any information/links.
Since I found it before, I was going to search it again and bring the link here, but I couldn't.
However, I can say "Do not expect too much!"
since those are for limited areas like New York, Seattle, Washington D.C where big Korean supermarckets are, and yes! 3miles/dollars are good from those Korean supermarckets (H mart, and I do not remember the others..)
Old Jun 4, 2008, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Here's the link the list of grocery stores. All are Korean grocery stores. It worked out for me perfectly because my wife shops at Galleria Market in Koreatown or HK market in Glendale.

http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...rchWrd=&page=1
Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:42 am

can someone post the first six digits of the card so that we can check out whats avail thru entre?

thanks

Last edited by jamesdoe; Jun 5, 2008 at 8:50 am
Old Jun 6, 2008, 2:51 am
Original Poster

You enter the first 6 and then it asks for the next 3, I would give my number out but I don't know if that's giving out too much info publically if those numbers aren't the same for everyone.

Besides that all the entre things are very lame and not useful. 25% off Asiana First class and 20% biz but all are full fare discounts, which means you can get a better deal at any travel agent. They had 10% off virgin atlantic, some other stuff but most of it useless and definitely more expensive than getting it on your own somewhere else.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:21 am

$100 rebate

Does anyone here have any experience of getting $100 OZ ticket purchase rebate?

I have a couple of questions.

1. If I purchase OZ ticket through a travel agency (or expedia.com), does the charge have to be made under "Asiana" name or can it be just "expedia.com"?

2. Is this rebate applicable for Korea domestic flights?

Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:42 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jamesdoe
can someone post the first six digits of the card so that we can check out whats avail thru entre?

thanks
Congrats on your first post. Would be nice to get the full details of the entre program posted here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.