Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Share trading halted [Asiana financial troubles]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Share trading halted [Asiana financial troubles]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by WhiteStar
Hi,
I was planning to fly FRA - ICN with Asiana end of September 2019. However hearing about financial difficulties makes me wonder whether it is still advisable/safe to book tickets with Asiana. I haven't booked yet and Korean Air would be another option, but they are SkyTeam not Star Alliance.
Any advice would be appreciated!
No uncertainly now, they have received a mega loan. You can book safely.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:15 pm

Where did you hear about the loan? Do you have a link?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
The current government might as well just resign en mass if Asiana goes under, letting them go bankrupt under the current political climate would be shooting oneself in the foot and then in the head with a large caliber automatic weapon.

So yes, there's nothing to worry about at least until we know who the new owners are going to be.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by bevan7
Where did you hear about the loan? Do you have a link?
Plenty of information on this...

Asiana Airlines gets W1.6 trillion capital injection
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: Skypass, IHG
Originally Posted by nanyang
That capital injection effectively allows the creditors took control of the airlines with the intention to sell it within a year, while keeping it afloat. KE is still the only one in the news buying Asiana. It would be better if another buyer would take over Asiana instead of KE. Maybe Lotte, Samsung, LG, etc?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by t_cliff
That capital injection effectively allows the creditors took control of the airlines with the intention to sell it within a year, while keeping it afloat. KE is still the only one in the news buying Asiana. It would be better if another buyer would take over Asiana instead of KE. Maybe Lotte, Samsung, LG, etc?
KE? I am not sure about that, but maybe you are following Korean news more closely. SK would be my best choice. Can't see Lotte doing much (their Japanese roots are not helping them lately) and Samsung is probably not interested. No idea about LG.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
AK, the owners of Jeju Air, are the only ones that have publicly shown an interest in buying OZ. Other than that SK and Hanhwa are routinely mentioned as being potential buyers.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by Gasolin
KE? I am not sure about that, but maybe you are following Korean news more closely. SK would be my best choice. Can't see Lotte doing much (their Japanese roots are not helping them lately) and Samsung is probably not interested. No idea about LG.
Korean Air looking at Asiana Airlines deal
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
Would a sale potentially affect OZ's membership in *A?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by chronicrelief
Yes.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by chronicrelief
I remember that but I am not convinced by it. I wouldn't want one carrier to have the monopoly over there. Well, we will see.

To further add a note, on this Korean site below:
https://www.sedaily.com/NewsVIew/1VKHPLR5Y1

They say all SK, Hanwha, Lotte officially said they were not looking to buy. KE mentioned they were observing but did not really comment on whether they intend to get into the race. Only one group has expressed interest, Aekyung group, and all the private equity firms and financial institutions are courting them. They seem to own Jeju Air. But they don't have enough cash so it could be highly leveraged.

They say that but this other link says Aekyung denied interest, though not as strongly as the other companies. July will be interesting.

http://ilyo.co.kr/?ac=article_view&entry_id=337935
SightseeMC likes this.

Last edited by Gasolin; Jun 22, 2019 at 9:05 am
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
So yeah, there hasn't really been anyone stepping up with real interest. I think most companies are keeping their cards close and will probably wait for numbers to come out post route cuts.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:15 am

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20190627005851320
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
Bidding for Asiana Airlines to begin this week
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gasolin
I remember that but I am not convinced by it. I wouldn't want one carrier to have the monopoly over there. Well, we will see.

To further add a note, on this Korean site below:
https://www.sedaily.com/NewsVIew/1VKHPLR5Y1

They say all SK, Hanwha, Lotte officially said they were not looking to buy. KE mentioned they were observing but did not really comment on whether they intend to get into the race. Only one group has expressed interest, Aekyung group, and all the private equity firms and financial institutions are courting them. They seem to own Jeju Air. But they don't have enough cash so it could be highly leveraged.

They say that but this other link says Aekyung denied interest, though not as strongly as the other companies. July will be interesting.

???? ?? ???? ???? ????? ???? ????? ??? ?? | ????
I do want to see how the bidding starts showing hands. I too can't believe Korea would want a single monopoly monster carrier. I'd think more push back would come from private businesses/conglomerates, as having a single conglomerate control all meaningful air travel in that large economy would probably tilt the playing field pretty heavily. But I am by no means a Korean business expert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.