Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Share trading halted [Asiana financial troubles]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Share trading halted [Asiana financial troubles]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
Who will become Asiana's new owner.
Who Will Become Asiana Airlines' New Owner? - ??????? - BusinessKorea
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:13 pm

A week ago Asiana was a cash cow for Kumho Group, widely regarded as too big to fail, and now it is up for sale. It would not look good for the Korean government if Asiana fails to meet its debt obligations; the Moon administration already propped up Kumho Group back in 2017, can they really afford to let everything collapse now?

Originally Posted by Korea Herald
Kumho Asiana Group puts Asiana Airlines up for sale to stay afloat
[...]
"(The group) has been trying to come up with the best way to normalize Asiana Airlines," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
"It decided that selling Asiana Airlines will be the way for both the group and the airlines to regain market confidence."
The group earlier proposed selling the airline company under its self-rescue plan to be submitted to its creditors but only after three years and if it fails to turn the company around.
However, its nine creditors, led by the state-run Korea Development Bank (KDB), are said to have dismissed the proposal as insufficient to regain market trust.
The airline swung to a net loss in 2018 from a 248 billion-won ($218 million) net profit the year earlier.
The KDB, meanwhile, said in a press release that Kumho Asiana has submitted its self-rescue plan that includes the proposed sale of Asiana Airlines. (Yonhap)
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
SK would be a good thing, I hope they keep the ownership Korean, and stay in *A.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by downinit
I did not see any mention of a definite 25 April shutdown on that website, but It shouldn't be hard to find $50M by 25 April if they find a buyer, so I would say that everything is still very much undecided. Right now, it appears that the only options are complete liquidation or a new owner, which will almost certainly have a negative impact on the Asiana Club/*A arrangement they have now. If nothing else, I would imagine that the 500k lifetime status and 40k/24 month *G options will be gone if the airline does survive, even if they do stay in *A. Unfortunately for me, I just earned 18k miles on a mileage run for OZ the very same week that this thread started, after losing status on NH. I was well on pace to hit *G by the end of the summer. Now it looks like I get to start all over again from scratch, possibly on TK since I don't plan on any flights to/from Greece.
My wife will be Diamond by mid June and I am planning a Y+ trip to hit it in late June. How fast do you think they could/would change the status requirements (As I too believe the requirements will change though I am far less convinced that leaving *A is a good idea)?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by downinit
I did not see any mention of a definite 25 April shutdown on that website, but It shouldn't be hard to find $50M by 25 April if they find a buyer, so I would say that everything is still very much undecided. Right now, it appears that the only options are complete liquidation or a new owner, which will almost certainly have a negative impact on the Asiana Club/*A arrangement they have now. If nothing else, I would imagine that the 500k lifetime status and 40k/24 month *G options will be gone if the airline does survive, even if they do stay in *A. Unfortunately for me, I just earned 18k miles on a mileage run for OZ the very same week that this thread started, after losing status on NH. I was well on pace to hit *G by the end of the summer. Now it looks like I get to start all over again from scratch, possibly on TK since I don't plan on any flights to/from Greece.
Well I don't know about that, OZ is an important airline for Korea, I am not sure they would change that much the requirements. We will see, for some reason, I am not too worried right now but it's hard to explain why.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:58 am

No one can say for certain, but the bottom line is that it appears their only option for survival at this point is a new owner. Once a new company takes over, all bets are off, as they will have their own ideas and allegiances. Since they would be taking over a company that was struggling, it is fairly obvious that they will reexamine how they operate, looking to increase profits and decrease expenses. It's also not at all unreasonable that the new company may be approached by Oneworld, or they may already be invested in Oneworld, so any previous commitments to *A are out the door with new owners. Of course, this is all just speculation on what is possible, not what is certain. Regardless, I would be surprised if the new owners will be quite as generous with handing out status, especially lifetime status, regardless of whether they stay in *A or not. They could also be changing the rules about how many flights need to be on OZ metal to qualify. All we can do is wait and see for now; I just hope it is settled in time for my next travel at the end of July.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
I don't fully understand all this drama. I would be very surprised to see any disruption to the operations of Asiana.

Financial statements are public, and it doesn't look all that bad. There is no track record of massive losses - and USD/KRW rates always have an impact on the net line. Admittedly there have been question marks around book values of some of the assets and OZ need to refinance debt.

I'm not very familiar with Korea, but my assumption is that they play by local rules and this situation will be managed just fine. The government would step in if needed.

Have I missed something?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by nanyang
I don't fully understand all this drama. I would be very surprised to see any disruption to the operations of Asiana.

Financial statements are public, and it doesn't look all that bad. There is no track record of massive losses - and USD/KRW rates always have an impact on the net line. Admittedly there have been question marks around book values of some of the assets and OZ need to refinance debt.

I'm not very familiar with Korea, but my assumption is that they play by local rules and this situation will be managed just fine. The government would step in if needed.

Have I missed something?
No I agree, I was worried at the beginning but there are other players in Korea that will be asked to step in probably and I can't see them changing that much. I love going to Korea with OZ anyway.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
My wife will be Diamond by mid June and I am planning a Y+ trip to hit it in late June. How fast do you think they could/would change the status requirements (As I too believe the requirements will change though I am far less convinced that leaving *A is a good idea)?
They will change the status requirement whenever Korean Air does. KE offers ST Elite at 30k miles every 2 years (I assume OZ couldn't give *S and be competitive though since STE has all benefits of *G except lounge and *S has literally no benefits) and lifetime STE+ at 500k, OZ used to be 40k miles every 2 years to get Diamond and they actually just made it easier to get Diamond last year to be competitive with KE. Every good deal OZ has is because KE has it too; like the 40/50k US-EU redemptions, etc. Asiana doesn't have such easy status requirements out of the generosity of their heart; they have no choice because they need to stay competitive with Korean Air.
Gasolin, FlyDUS and SightseeMC like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: Alaska
No buyers outside Korea are crazy enough to throw money at a Korean company. Traditionally Korean/Japanese companies are not managed for shareholders' interest. Often the one controlling the companies control the company through a lot of cross-shareholding so that they can control the company with little money.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:49 am

Is it safe to buy OZ tickets now for summer travel?

Dont want to get into a situation like jet airways where tickets are just gone after bankruptcy.tks
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Is it safe to buy OZ tickets now for summer travel?

Dont want to get into a situation like jet airways where tickets are just gone after bankruptcy.tks
I would wait at least one more week, since there is a deadline coming up fast (April 25??). Hopefully, there will be some kind of announcement early next week about the current/future status. The consensus seems to be that someone will step in to keep them afloat, but nothing is certain yet.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:16 am

Can I assume that my award ticket will be voided when the airlines shut down on 25 April? I am thinking if I should book another ticket with a different airlines and refund the award tickets now.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LMYRMQ622003250
Can I assume that my award ticket will be voided when the airlines shut down on 25 April?............
Not gonna happen. Any possible shutdown is months away, if ever. OZ is likely to continue operate while being re-organized, perhaps with a new owner.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:03 pm

According to a post on airliners, Asiana just got a $700m load from a state owned bank. Not sure if this is good news or bad news; the airline will definitely be able to keep operating in the short term, but it just delays the inevitable sale and takeover. I would much rather hear that they found a buyer, since that would reduce they time we are stuck in limbo waiting for all the chips to fall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.