Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Is Diamond Plus worth anything these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Diamond Plus worth anything these days?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
I'm considering shooting for D+ and your experience interests me. Specifically:
  1. Economy Smartium Op-Up
  2. Blocked seat in main cabin if no Op-Up.
I'd probably take the blocked seat over the Smartium. I prefer to fly the A380 to the US and the pitch works great at 33/34"; I can "social engineer" an empty seat pretty well but a guaranteed one would be excellent. That said, can I request that at Diamond already? I've never tried it. The J upgrade would be fabulous, but I have no expectations that I'd ever book a full A350 flight just for the hope of one.

For waitlist, if I did book a full flight and wasn't going to get the upgrade, could OZ put me on the next non-full flight out instead of bumping a non-elite and having me fly a cramped plane? Anyone ever try that?

It would take getting the OZ BoA card and 1 more US r/t, so it's not a major cost. The extra trip would be a business expense anyway, just a potential inconvenience..
I am curious how much the Economy Smartium Op-Up has to do with status, or just pure luck. Recently, I was op-uped to Smartium on both directions of ICN-LHR, the first one I had no status at all (technically my connecting flight from the previous day would have bumped me up to Asiana Gold, but I don't think it would be processed that quickly), and on the return I only had Asiana Gold. Was pleasantly surprised but had absolutely no idea why it happened. Maybe the American routes are a bit different.
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Looking to jump ship to OZ from UA. I know the credit card spend counts for status, does it also count for lifetime? Even if I’m not chasing 1K I’ll still probably fly ~40-50k a year, so would get D+, but also thinking about getting the BoA card.
IMHO, the BoA card would work for you (status-wise) pretty well. At 50% partner earn you'd get Diamond/*G pretty solidly. At 100% UA earn you'd get D+ early, and have it indefinitely until requirements change.

(No I have no insight into any upcoming changes, nor do I expect any until well after an OZ sale and/or Korean Air changes. But it's always good to think about.)
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Jaenks
That 30k miles and 10k miles from spending is for South Korea and US credit card(Asiana) holders. For the rest of the world, it is 40k and 30k
What is the requirement for qualifying and re-qualifying OZ Diamond Plus with an OZ credit card?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
What is the requirement for qualifying and re-qualifying OZ Diamond Plus with an OZ credit card?
https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/conten...de-requirement
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Since I’m not D+ yet, I’m assuming that means I can do 25k OZ miles from credit card and 75k from flying?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Since I’m not D+ yet, I’m assuming that means I can do 25k OZ miles from credit card and 75k from flying?
Yes, the card spend miles count. The *G thread has statements that the 10K miles from the card bonus are good for Diamond, so I'm under the working assumption that 25K from the bonus will work too (getting the card as soon as I go back to the US). Wish I had a stronger answer for you, and maybe someone can confirm.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the card spend miles count. The *G thread has statements that the 10K miles from the card bonus are good for Diamond, so I'm under the working assumption that 25K from the bonus will work too (getting the card as soon as I go back to the US). Wish I had a stronger answer for you, and maybe someone can confirm.
Yea, I think I’m going to apply for the card as soon as I get back to the US. Seems like a no-brainer to have for OZ elites.
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by prelude
I am curious how much the Economy Smartium Op-Up has to do with status, or just pure luck. Recently, I was op-uped to Smartium on both directions of ICN-LHR, the first one I had no status at all (technically my connecting flight from the previous day would have bumped me up to Asiana Gold, but I don't think it would be processed that quickly), and on the return I only had Asiana Gold. Was pleasantly surprised but had absolutely no idea why it happened. Maybe the American routes are a bit different.
Recent DPs as a plain Diamond. Each time I went to the desk/gate and simply asked if my seat section was "still empty", as I booked into empty rows of 3 or 4 each time.

PEK-ICN: someone moved into my 3-seat section, so I was given the "Do Not Occupy" row. Asked the FA and she said they usually save that for other customers who have seat/IFE issues, etc.
ICN-LAX: check-in desk stated section of 4 was still empty; may or may not have blocked it but it was empty when I boarded.
LAX-ICN: someone booked into my row of 4 on the bottom of the A380. Gate offered to give me a free extra legroom section (the whole section) on second floor, but as the armrests don't raise to create "poor man's business class", I declined.

I haven't asked for blocked seats at all or pulled any DYKWIA, just checked that seats remained empty. Gate/desk agents seem unfazed at the conversation, and proactively offered the better options.
prelude and ithacxa like this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 7:43 am

Minor update: I made Diamond Plus with my last flight out of the US before COVID lockdowns, and haven't gone back/flown since. My wife flew back last week, and said that Asiana sent a "nice" blanket and a luggage tag for reaching D+. I didn't ask for pictures; I want to be surprised.

Could just be a standard OZ blanket, which is fine by me. If it's some sort of branded D+ blanket, how hilariously DYKWIA would it be to use that on flights instead of the one that comes with the seat? Especially in cattle class. Extremely tempted to do it just for the laughs.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thirsty for the luggage tag though.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 1:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Minor update: I made Diamond Plus with my last flight out of the US before COVID lockdowns, and haven't gone back/flown since. My wife flew back last week, and said that Asiana sent a "nice" blanket and a luggage tag for reaching D+. I didn't ask for pictures; I want to be surprised.

Could just be a standard OZ blanket, which is fine by me. If it's some sort of branded D+ blanket, how hilariously DYKWIA would it be to use that on flights instead of the one that comes with the seat? Especially in cattle class. Extremely tempted to do it just for the laughs.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thirsty for the luggage tag though.
You definitely have a wild imagination !!! But now I wonder what that would look like...
Old Oct 8, 2020, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Gasolin
You definitely have a wild imagination !!! But now I wonder what that would look like...
Well, my curiosity got to me so I asked my wife. It's a checkered fleece of some sort; she thinks it may be the biz class blanket (I haven't flown J on OZ yet, so no idea). When she returns I'll post a pic, since I've never heard of this perk before.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:31 am

Here's the Diamond Plus pack I received. The pack included the blanket and the luggage tag as well as an explanatory pamphlet which contains the same information as the website. The luggage tag is nice thick plastic, with a leather strap. The blanket is slightly thin (though thicker than the economy OZ blanket), and is "airplane sized": too small for covering your entire body, too big for a shawl. It has no branding except for a small tag with "Asiana Airlines" in a corner. Is this the J blanket?

Honestly, the highest quality thing might be the nice pack. It's a velveteen exterior and a soft interior, and we both plan to use it somehow for traveling. Not downplaying it at all, as I am happy with all 3 pieces. I do wish I could have had a silly "Diamond Plus" emblazoned blanket for sleeping in cattle class over the next few years.

Old Oct 26, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Are you based in Korea? Er rather, is your wife based in Korea? I didn't get anything when I hit D+.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by nme7
Are you based in Korea? Er rather, is your wife based in Korea? I didn't get anything when I hit D+.
While we're based in Korea these days, my OZ membership is based in the US, and I think as far as OZ knows, I am still based in the US. The pack was shipped to our USA address, so my wife picked it up when she went back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.