FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Diamond Plus worth anything these days?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:53 pm
SightseeMC

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by prelude
I am curious how much the Economy Smartium Op-Up has to do with status, or just pure luck. Recently, I was op-uped to Smartium on both directions of ICN-LHR, the first one I had no status at all (technically my connecting flight from the previous day would have bumped me up to Asiana Gold, but I don't think it would be processed that quickly), and on the return I only had Asiana Gold. Was pleasantly surprised but had absolutely no idea why it happened. Maybe the American routes are a bit different.
Recent DPs as a plain Diamond. Each time I went to the desk/gate and simply asked if my seat section was "still empty", as I booked into empty rows of 3 or 4 each time.

PEK-ICN: someone moved into my 3-seat section, so I was given the "Do Not Occupy" row. Asked the FA and she said they usually save that for other customers who have seat/IFE issues, etc.
ICN-LAX: check-in desk stated section of 4 was still empty; may or may not have blocked it but it was empty when I boarded.
LAX-ICN: someone booked into my row of 4 on the bottom of the A380. Gate offered to give me a free extra legroom section (the whole section) on second floor, but as the armrests don't raise to create "poor man's business class", I declined.

I haven't asked for blocked seats at all or pulled any DYKWIA, just checked that seats remained empty. Gate/desk agents seem unfazed at the conversation, and proactively offered the better options.