Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

OZ741 - Aircraft Swap from A330 to A380

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP 1K

I recently recieved an email notifying me that my upcoming flight from ICN to BKK will now be on an A380!

My question is does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade from J to F? Asiana does have these seats available for purchase, and all are x-ed out when I look to change my seats from the upper deck.

Any help or past experiences would be appreciated!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: Qantas FF, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Velocity
They don't sell F on this flight but rather sell the F cabin as J with Business catering. I am booked on this flight in April and my original seat allocation on the A330 which was 2A has been retained on the A380 so I'm guessing I just got lucky ��

Any way you look at it, the J class seating on the A380 beats the A330 hands down but the later departure time is not great.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:32 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I was just now looking at a prospective BKK-JFK-BKK itinerary on OZ and noticed that OZ741/OZ742 were now A380, too. I was surprised at how many seats they've blocked (X'd out in EF) in the regular J cabin. Wonder why they did that?

Example:
In addition to the 12 seats blocked in the First Class cabin, they've also blocked 20 in the Business cabins.

Last edited by wpcoe; Mar 1, 2018 at 10:42 am
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP 1K
Quite confusing indeed! Thanks for the insight @kiwifruit
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:22 am
formerly 1984SW

And, with the huge increase in J seats they haven't opened a single extra Business Saver award seat on the day I want to travel.They went from 30 J seats on the A330 to 78 J seats on the A380 (including the 12 F seats they sell as Business Class) and they can't open one single award seat? Boo.....
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
My guess is that is has something to do with the paid upgrades they sell for Y passengers to J on BKK for like 200-250$. Can't find the link or exact price, oddly, but it's something I've seen over the years being sold here in Korea.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by 1984SW
I was just now looking at a prospective BKK-JFK-BKK itinerary on OZ and noticed that OZ741/OZ742 were now A380, too. I was surprised at how many seats they've blocked (X'd out in EF) in the regular J cabin. Wonder why they did that?
See some info on this thread here. It seems that (to quote that thread), Asiana sell upgrades for ICN-BKK and HKG A380. It is a business class seat but with economy service. This can be bought any time before departure as long as seats are available. Anyone can buy it online.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Does anyone know if this plane continues from ICN-JFK? Reason I ask is that I have to get from Siem Reap to ICN to connect to the JFK flight. My choices are Vietnam Air via Saigon or Thai Smile via BKK. I was worried that if this flight was late from BKK to ICN I might blow the connection.

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:34 am
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
My guess is that is has something to do with the paid upgrades they sell for Y passengers to J on BKK for like 200-250$. Can't find the link or exact price, oddly, but it's something I've seen over the years being sold here in Korea.
If that is what they are doing, why not block the *last* rows of the J cabin, which would flow the Y service back past the curtain, versus blocking the forward -- and to me, most desireable -- seats of the J cabin for upgrades?

I finally got booked on the flights I wanted, and made seat assignments. I asked if the large number of seats which the agent said were "not available" were actually occupied, or blocked off, and the agent on the phone admitted they were blocked off for "airport control." I forgot to mention to her that I'm Star Gold (UA MP Gold) -- do you think that's enough status to ask to be put into one of the blocked-off seats?

I booked F on JFK-ICN, and the seat selection was not so great there either:

50% of the cabin is blocked off.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
They could also be following the footsteps of Korean Air. Korean Air only releases 50% of their seats (and in the case of Y, it’s always the last rows open) for advance seat selection. Only at web check in time does the entire plane become available.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: United MP Premier Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Noticed this a few weeks ago on 741 and they mad my layover longer and on 742 they shortened the layover.
Assuming the 380 that’s flying the jfk-ICN on 221 would carry over and fly 741, if that is true how would one go about transiting in ICN

when theyswapped they moved me from two window seats to the middle section which I don’t want but luckily
caught it and was able to snag two on the UD.
Hoping I can get moved up to biz(paid or for space )
even though they blocked most of the front of the cabin off right now from my research

doing this in late April and early may
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:38 pm
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
They could also be following the footsteps of Korean Air. Korean Air only releases 50% of their seats (and in the case of Y, it’s always the last rows open) for advance seat selection. Only at web check in time does the entire plane become available.
Do you think they will open some (all?) of the X'd-out seats when online check-in becomes available? That would work for me, as long as they haven't given out the good ones to their high-ranked flyers before then. What level of prestige does one need to let them do that?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
OZ will most likely open most of the blocked seats at check in. I seem to remember that they open the bulkheads only for their Diamonds and up (also F connections) at check in and only at the airport for everybody else. They might (not likely without OZ D+/Plat status) give you one if you call them and ask, worst is that you'll have to wait until check in or if they open them up earlier.

Last edited by ttuna3; Mar 7, 2018 at 7:45 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: Oneworld Sapphire (QR Gold), SkyTeam Elite Plus (ITA Volare)
Hi all. I'm also curious if I will be able to select seats in the F-cabin. I have an award booking including Thai CDG-BKK in F, then continuing on Asiana A380 BKK-ICN in C (as F was unavailable). I see the entire F-cabin is blocked... I don't have status with Asiana, but I'm Star Gold. Given that we're arriving in F (although on a different carrier) do you think there is any chance Asiana might give us F-seats if we send them a request before check-in?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Gold
Hi, I have an F reward ticket from LAX-ICN-BKK next week. I am currently in F from LAX to ICN but my seat is in J from ICN to BKK because all the F seats are blocked. Is there any chance Asiana will let me select a F seat at online check-in or at the airport in LAX? I know it will be J service but the seats are much better in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.