Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana service decline

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
I flew OZ once in long haul J in 2011. It was when they first introduced Quadra Smartium biz class. The hard product was OK for me, but the cabin crew were not pleasant at all. And the J class food for a 12 hour flight was not even close to SQ Y food. I couldn't sleep well on that flight, so I noticed that after the first meal after takeoff, they dim the cabin lights and the cabin crew disappeared until shortly before landing. It seems that OZ cabin crew sleep during most of the flight, hoping that the pax are asleep as well. If you push the cabin crew call button, eventually they'll show up but you can tell that they're upset because you disturbed their rest. This was in J class!And I was a Star Alliance gold member. Although OZ is an Asian airline, they are neither polite nor professional. That was the first, and last time I flew on OZ. MH, SQ, NH, and JL are all much better than OZ.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by Nippon_Koukuu
I flew OZ once in long haul J in 2011. It was when they first introduced Quadra Smartium biz class. The hard product was OK for me, but the cabin crew were not pleasant at all. And the J class food for a 12 hour flight was not even close to SQ Y food. I couldn't sleep well on that flight, so I noticed that after the first meal after takeoff, they dim the cabin lights and the cabin crew disappeared until shortly before landing. It seems that OZ cabin crew sleep during most of the flight, hoping that the pax are asleep as well. If you push the cabin crew call button, eventually they'll show up but you can tell that they're upset because you disturbed their rest. This was in J class!And I was a Star Alliance gold member. Although OZ is an Asian airline, they are neither polite nor professional. That was the first, and last time I flew on OZ. MH, SQ, NH, and JL are all much better than OZ.
That sounds like a very disappointing experience, but I wouldn't base my opinion of an airline on one flight in 2011. For instance you mention JL, which is very hit an miss in my experience, especially from GMP-HND.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Originally Posted by jon503
That sounds like a very disappointing experience, but I wouldn't base my opinion of an airline on one flight in 2011. For instance you mention JL, which is very hit an miss in my experience, especially from GMP-HND.
Were your flights on JL in Y or J class? Was the cabin crew visibly unpleasant? My flight on OZ was a 12 hour flight in business class. If you paid that much money for a flight, then I think you have the right to expect common courtesy and pleasantness. (^-^)
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:56 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by Nippon_Koukuu
Were your flights on JL in Y or J class? Was the cabin crew visibly unpleasant? My flight on OZ was a 12 hour flight in business class. If you paid that much money for a flight, then I think you have the right to expect common courtesy and pleasantness. (^-^)
It was in Y and the cabin crew was quite dismissive even of minor, politely worded requests on several flights. But I've also had several quite decent flights on JL. Anyway, I would have been very annoyed at a a bad flight in paid business class too, my point was rather that you seem to have had bad luck. Every time I've flown OZ in J service has been excellent.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
I have flown on OZ on a number of flights, in all classes. I have yet to see OZ service not be polite nor professional. But this is just my experience after flying with them for years. Perhaps you hit the lottery on that flight and the prize was bad service.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: Qatar Gold, Asiana Club Diamond, THAI silver
Oh wow, so much OZ bashers. So many of one or few flights experience and bam, no more OZ or OZ has poor service.

Though OZ is not my first airlines option, I still remember all the good flights with them.
My last flight with OZ was business class on ICN-NRT A330-300 business class, late 2014.

I was one of only 2 pax onboard so the service was out of this world but again, I wouldn't praise OZ just because of that particular flight.

Knew that OZ is cost-cutting in all areas, maybe frequent fliers notice the 'oh-you-used-to-give-me-this-and-that-but-now-no-more'.

Time will tell.

Last edited by flyvirgin; Oct 27, 2016 at 2:41 am Reason: grammar
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Time will tell but flying planes with Duct-Tape Repairs is unacceptable.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
What happened?

Personally I just did a OZ J JFK / ICN and it was ok. Emirates is often very good but it doesn't pay much for its own oil so it's unfair to compare them to other carriers...

So far, it I were to go to Korea from the US, I would still consider OZ J.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Gasolin
What happened?

Personally I just did a OZ J JFK / ICN and it was ok. Emirates is often very good but it doesn't pay much for its own oil so it's unfair to compare them to other carriers...

So far, it I were to go to Korea from the US, I would still consider OZ J.
Look up the article about the A380 flying out of JFK with duct tape repair.
OZ just kept lying to PAX and said an replacement plane would show up. Instead they duct tape the plane and than it caught fire (fortunately on the ground arriving at ICN).

Curious why so many OZ fans instead of KE?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:54 pm

Why not just link the article you are referring to? From all that I have read, the repair was done after consulting with Airbus. I did not read anything of using duct tape. Perhaps you can enlighten me.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
LOL

anyone who knows anything about aeroplanes knows that it's not duct tape. it's a special aluminium tape that is approved for short term repairs by regulative authorities. it's actually not uncommon, and if you're a frequent flyer, you've probably flown on airplanes with these temporary repairs more often than you've realised.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by nme7
Why not just link the article you are referring to? From all that I have read, the repair was done after consulting with Airbus. I did not read anything of using duct tape. Perhaps you can enlighten me.
Here's the link.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asian...fire-a380.html

Originally Posted by sol95
LOL

anyone who knows anything about aeroplanes knows that it's not duct tape. it's a special aluminium tape that is approved for short term repairs by regulative authorities. it's actually not uncommon, and if you're a frequent flyer, you've probably flown on airplanes with these temporary repairs more often than you've realised.
You can't avoid quiet repairs and bad service but you can avoid flying an financially broken airline.

Why fly OZ when KE is superior in every category for an flyer?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:29 pm

Why fly OZ when KE is superior in every category for an flyer?
For me, I fly only paid economy (plus flights upgraded with miles). *A Gold benefits at 40,000 miles over a 2 year period kind of seals the deal for me vs. the KE threshold.

I notice some differences such as only receiving socks for amenity (in Y), no menus (not a big deal to me), etc. With that said, 34" pitch in economy is great and service is still better than the U.S. airlines, IMO. As I Diamond, I get lounge access, priority check in and sometimes get op upped.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:20 pm

So you linked back to my original post about the engine fire huh? I'm glad I could be an original source of information to you.

What I want to know is what you mentioned "Instead they duct tape the plane". What is your source for that? If you read the link you referred to me (which I had posted originally), there is no mention of the use of duct tape. If duct tape is an Airbus approved procedure, I sure would like to know.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:05 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
HKG-ICN in C on B747. I have not seen any changes to service in C. Hard product on B747 is outdated, but it is a 3 hour flight, so who cares...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.