FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asiana | Asiana Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club-614/)
-   -   Asiana service decline (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club/1783269-asiana-service-decline.html)

theasianguy Aug 7, 2016 1:22 pm

Asiana service decline

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that there has been a sharp decline in Asiana's service in the past 6 months. It's gotten so embarrassing that even US carriers are offering a more pleasant experience.

I had fond memories taking OZ transpacific in 2013. It seems like after the crash in SFO and recent restructuring plans, they have plummeted.

1. Flights are often 3+ hours late due to maintenance, A380 shortage, or other reasons, causing many passengers to miss connections. Also, their IRROPS handling is miserable.

2. Their website is still broken.

3. While NH, JL, and KE have all introduced new cabins for long haul flights, OZ still flies outdated cabins (minus the A380) with tiny screens, sometimes without AVOD or lie flat seats.

4. Declining service. Hot towels and menus no longer offered in Y, and meals downgraded from tenderloin steak to some inedible mess. FA's are not as proactive, seems like they just want to get the job done. I basically concur with all the observations made in a previous thread.

These are just my personal observations. They are definitely the worst of the 4 major Japanese and Korean carriers today. Consistent schedule failures and plummeting service can't be helping their image. Just look at their Yelp page being flooded with 1 star reviews this past year.

agjil Aug 7, 2016 4:04 pm

What you've experienced is pretty much the accurate current state of OZ.
There's no reason to fly OZ at all.
Stay away from OZ.

Daawgon Aug 10, 2016 10:02 am

I thoroughly enjoyed my 4-leg, economy OZ trip to Vietnam, recently, and I still believe Asiana to be an excellent economy class and deserving of the recent Best in Class award from Skytrax. Most other carriers are going the 10-abreast route in economy, but Asiana is still the roomy economy class with excellent on-board service! (They're website needs a great deal of work!)

nme7 Aug 10, 2016 1:27 pm

1. Flights are often 3+ hours late? I think that is a bit of exaggeration. I would say most flights are often on time, except for a few occasions due to aircraft maintenance or weather, which all airlines experience. Also carriers that fly to/from China often experience delays when leaving China, due to military control of the airspace. A delay in China has a knock on effect for all other flights using that aircraft. This gets worse during summer monsoon season resulting in massive delays for all airlines.

2. Website. While it is not up to par with other airline's sites, the website works. I have been able to select seats, make reservations, pay for tickets, etc. I am using a Mac also, a platform that is not widely supported by Korean companies. I recall that a few years ago the website was redone into its current form. While a redo was appreciated, I feel they need to do more to their site.

3. OZ was one of the first to install the staggered seating in biz that gave aisle access to every passenger back in 2011. This is installed on almost all of their 777s, all of their A380s and most likely on the 30 A350s they ordered. Even today, KE uses an old layout for biz class which means window seat passengers have to climb over the aisle passenger to get in/out. It is only on their 747-8 does KE offer something slightly similar to OZ. NH has the exact same biz class seat layout as OZ. As for Y, OZ's seats will be very similar to KE in terms of features. There are a few older planes that have dated IFE. These would be the 747s, 767s, and just a few of the 777s. I expect these to be replaced as the A350s are delivered starting 2017.

4. In general I believe Y service has seen the most changes. The hot towels and menu were a nice touch, but not necessary. Service attitudes from the FAs seems to be the same as before.

TennisNoob Aug 11, 2016 7:35 pm

Yup, only reason I see flying OZ nowadays is to save money.

fly747first Aug 12, 2016 1:04 pm

OZ really needs to improve its J hard product.

rxziebel Aug 30, 2016 7:25 am

I just completed ICN-LAX on OZ and have to agree. This was a very disappointing experience in business. While the food was not very good, the worst was the seat. Smartium (or however it is spelled) is not a comfortable flat seat. There is a "hump" where the seat meets the foot rest and that was painful after a little while of sleeping. Also the cabin was way too warm and I was sweating numerous times during the night.

Give me United Business any day. Say what you will, the UA Business seat is just awesome for a good nights rest and the cabin is kept cool.

nme7 Aug 30, 2016 7:38 pm

Where did you sit on this flight? The middle or the sides? I have noticed that the middle seems a bit warmer than the sides. This is much more apparent on the 777. On the A380 it is not so noticeable. The hump you mentioned, what part of your body touches it? I am thinking it may be your lower leg? Can you also tell us your height? It seems that the seats are ok for some but not others. I am just trying to get an idea of where the sweet spot is. I am 5'6" and I never had an issue with the seats.

As for United Biz seats, it is interesting that their new Polaris biz class being rolled out for intl flights are arranged the same way as Asiana's smartium seats.

sol95 Aug 31, 2016 12:45 am

Originally Posted by rxziebel (Post 27139674)
I just completed ICN-LAX on OZ and have to agree. This was a very disappointing experience in business. While the food was not very good, the worst was the seat. Smartium (or however it is spelled) is not a comfortable flat seat. There is a "hump" where the seat meets the foot rest and that was painful after a little while of sleeping. Also the cabin was way too warm and I was sweating numerous times during the night.

Give me United Business any day. Say what you will, the UA Business seat is just awesome for a good nights rest and the cabin is kept cool.

really?

cabin temp has been brought up many times before. and i do think it's a cultural thing...i wish it was cooler, my wife thinks it's perfect.

but you must be one of the very few who prefer UA J to OZ J!!!

rxziebel Aug 31, 2016 7:42 am

Originally Posted by nme7 (Post 27143165)
Where did you sit on this flight? The middle or the sides? I have noticed that the middle seems a bit warmer than the sides. This is much more apparent on the 777. On the A380 it is not so noticeable. The hump you mentioned, what part of your body touches it? I am thinking it may be your lower leg? Can you also tell us your height? It seems that the seats are ok for some but not others. I am just trying to get an idea of where the sweet spot is. I am 5'6" and I never had an issue with the seats.

As for United Biz seats, it is interesting that their new Polaris biz class being rolled out for intl flights are arranged the same way as Asiana's smartium seats.

Hi. Yes, I was in the middle seats and I am 5' 10''. The hump touches the lower leg and for me caused pain and cramps in my lower leg.

Very good questions and thanks! :)

bobbybrown Aug 31, 2016 9:30 am

Originally Posted by sol95 (Post 27144036)
really?

cabin temp has been brought up many times before. and i do think it's a cultural thing...i wish it was cooler, my wife thinks it's perfect.

but you must be one of the very few who prefer UA J to OZ J!!!

Cabin temp vs sex is an interesting observation. Those who complains hot temp in this board could be all male.

UA J bed has been praised by many folks for being literally flat and comfy, even the 2-4-2 one. Some finds OZ F class slightly dipped in the middle (therefore not flat and uncomfortable), and rxziebel reports on a hump at the end of foot rest on OZ J. Somehow OZ is not utilizing the space wisely.

rxziebel Aug 31, 2016 11:48 am

2 Attachment(s)
See the pics below. The dark tan padded area between where the seat ends and the footrest begins is the area that is slightly higher than the rest and (for me) caused pain.

nme7 Sep 3, 2016 9:49 pm

Makes me wonder if it the lower cushion was originally flat with the dark tan padded area. But then over time, perhaps the inside foam has taken a set over time? I am just speculating. It would be nice if the dark tan padded area could also be raised or lower for comfort.

nme7 Sep 10, 2016 4:33 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I believe this is what you are talking about. Here it shows a significant drop between the seat bottom cushion and the leg rest. It is about an inch difference. This was taken on Asiana's A380, specifically HL7625.

bobbybrown Sep 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by nme7 (Post 27193677)
I believe this is what you are talking about. Here it shows a significant drop between the seat bottom cushion and the leg rest. It is about an inch difference. This was taken on Asiana's A380, specifically HL7625.

There's no way to call it a 'full-flat', with all those bumps and dips.