Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

S.Korea Govt orders 45 days ICN-SFO suspension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

S.Korea Govt orders 45 days ICN-SFO suspension

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by hyho61
OZ may choose to do the suspension in the middle of the winter, late January to early March. During that period, they could route their passengers through SEA or LAX or via KE (if there is an agreement between the two during the temporary period).
I hope so, Im coming home on oz212 on 12/31.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:07 pm

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Big wup
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:43 pm
RJ1

To me, this seems to punish the passengers as much, if not more, than the airline itself. Just levy a big fine against OZ.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Indelaware
ICN-SFO flights by UA and SQ will be quite full during this period.
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
If you guys actually read the article, rather than just the title of the thread
And perhaps it would be smart to read what one posts before commenting on it. One can rightly say, as I did, "during this period" without the specific date range of the period being known. That there will be a period, and that it will be 45 days in length. Thus read my comment as "ICN-SFO flights by UA and SQ will be quite full during this [45 day] period."

Also, not sure why you assume that posters are male - viz. "guys".
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:08 am

According to this, Asiana is pleased the suspension wasn't longer.

Originally Posted by Unnamed Asiana source
Asiana Airlines is still to decide if it will appeal a suspension of its flights to San Francisco following a fatal 2013 crash, a company source saying Saturday that executives feel they got of lightly - despite statements to the contrary.

Just one day after the company announced it would challenge the South Korean government's ruling, the insider has told The Anadolu Agency that there is an in-house consensus that it had escaped far more serious punishment.

“We have two weeks to appeal and nothing is set in stone, but we are still considering what to do because to be honest we have got off light,” said the man, who did not wish to be named given the sensitivity of the case.

[...]

South Korea's transport ministry imposed a 45-day suspension Friday, however the source said that the airline had feared that it could have been as long as 180-days – 45 days was the minimum punishment it could have faced under Korean law.

“We can choose when to start the suspension, and if we do it during our off-peak season the damages will be greatly reduced,” he added.

The source said that he expected Korean Air - Asiana’s main rival - to be furious with the decision.

As evidence, he highlighted that its services to Guam were stopped for more than four years after a 1997 crash claimed 228 lives, and that it was one of only two airlines that fly into South Korea’s Incheon International Airport that had refused to petition for leniency for Asiana - the other being its budget division Jin Air.

[...]

Kwon Yong-bok of South Korea’s transport ministry aviation security division told reporters Friday that the committee had decided to reduce the duration of the suspension in consideration of the flight crew's efforts to minimize casualties in the aftermath of the crash.

[...]

The company’s stocks rallied on the local KOSPI bourse on Friday, rising 4.58 percent as the lighter-than-expected suspension was announced.
I'm not sure the source is mainstream, so I'll let you conclude how much to take and how much to leave. Personally I'm inclined to accept the quote as legit.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm +, AA, WN, OZ, EK
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
Wow, back in the 80s and 90s when KE were crashing aircraft on a regular basis did the Korean government take similar actions against them ?
The Korean government in the 80s and the 90s vs the government now?

lol. Please put some thought into your comment before posting.
Not only that, like someone said, after KE crash in Guam they were banned for like 3 years so... 45 days vs 3 years..
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL, CX
KE 801 crash in Guam in 1997 was much worse than OZ crash in SFO last year.
Deaths: 228 (22 of 23 crew, 206 of 231 passengers) vs 3

Also KE 801 crash was followed by KE 8702 accident in 1998, KE 1533 accident in 1999 , KE 6316 crash in Shanghai in 1999 , and KE 8509 crash near London in 1999.

So, you can't really compare OZ accident with the KE's accidents at the same level.

No wonder, the ban lasted longer.

Originally Posted by ek3728
The Korean government in the 80s and the 90s vs the government now?

lol. Please put some thought into your comment before posting.
Not only that, like someone said, after KE crash in Guam they were banned for like 3 years so... 45 days vs 3 years..
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Originally Posted by deltaflyinglawyer
KE 801 crash in Guam in 1997 was much worse than OZ crash in SFO last year.
Deaths: 228 (22 of 23 crew, 206 of 231 passengers) vs 3

Also KE 801 crash was followed by KE 8702 accident in 1998, KE 1533 accident in 1999 , KE 6316 crash in Shanghai in 1999 , and KE 8509 crash near London in 1999.

So, you can't really compare OZ accident with the KE's accidents at the same level.

No wonder, the ban lasted longer.
Thank you! ^
And I agree with the poster above who stated that it will really just inconvenience the passengers.....
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by RJ1
To me, this seems to punish the passengers as much, if not more, than the airline itself. Just levy a big fine against OZ.
Exactly! This is the most ridiculous form of "punishment" imaginable. Big thumbs down to all involved in dreaming this up
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:09 am

I'm not a lawyer, but I read the form of the sanction is a matter of Korean law. In other words, the law prescribes a suspension, not a fine.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Drat's... When I read this possible suspension, I didn't think it would affect me in the least bit since my travels tend to be to EU and SA when departing from SFO. But yesterday, I was informed I'm going to Seoul either early Dec or early Jan! Yikes!!

Will have to closely monitor things and options now!!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G
According to local news in S.Korea:

S.Korean Ministry of Land Infrastructure Transportation (MOLIT) upholds 45 days ICN-SFO suspension after reviewing OZ's petition for reconsideration.

MOLIT's reasons for upholding:
1) Pilot Error
2) Lack of Proper Training
3) KE also received temporary route suspension before
4) If a fine is issued, it is only USD 1.5 million. As a punishment, it is not enough.

However, OZ says it is willing to go all the way to administrative court.

I can understand OZ's desperateness on this one. KUMHO Asiana Group acquired and merged too many unprofitable business in the past. Now coughing up all the money for its minus balance sheet.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by lee_apromise
According to local news in S.Korea:

I can understand OZ's desperateness on this one. KUMHO Asiana Group acquired and merged too many unprofitable business in the past. Now coughing up all the money for its minus balance sheet.
From a financial perspective, I can understand it as well, but I don't really think they're doing themselves any favors by fighting this. They got the minimum penalty in terms of suspension length, and as MOLIT stated, the maximum fine would have been absurdly low (why the law provides for an absolute number cap is strange to me, btw. It seems like a % of revenue would be better). So yeah, I don't see them getting off any easier than they already have and just being contrite and accepting the suspension would seem like a better publicity move.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Also, not sure why you assume that posters are male - viz. "guys".
Why do you assume "guys" means "males"? I think it is pretty neutral nowadays.

Plus, what do you suggest instead of "you guys"? "You all?"
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why do you assume "guys" means "males"? I think it is pretty neutral nowadays.

Plus, what do you suggest instead of "you guys"? "You all?"
I had a friend in high school who hated when I said "guy/s" when referring to her or a group she was in. I also called her dude.
She hated that, too.
I stopped being friends with her.

Jessica..... is that you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.