Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

S.Korea Govt orders 45 days ICN-SFO suspension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G

News according to press in Korea.

Ministry of Land and Transportation ordered OZ to suspend ICN-SFO route for 45 days but the effective date is yet to be determined as OZ is able to file for administration petition for reconsideration.

The ministry is in negotiation with KE to use 744 instead of 772 during those 45 days or put another temporary daily flight.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond
Trust this penalty will teach them a lesson about safety issues and take them seriously, not just a lip service.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Wow, back in the 80s and 90s when KE were crashing aircraft on a regular basis did the Korean government take similar actions against them ?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:06 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Well on the other hand, perhaps there is an argument that the government should be tougher to avoid another KE.

Not good for OZ though, it must hit the bottom line significantly.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:10 am

Got a flight out next Friday, what are the chances I will fly?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G
Korean Air says this punishment is not enough. It is understandable as KE couldn't fly to Guam for an year or two when KE 747-300 crashed back then.

I am pretty sure flights next week will continue as normal. Durely the government will give prior notice regarding suspension period.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by vinx
Trust this penalty will teach them a lesson about safety issues and take them seriously, not just a lip service.
About time the South Korean government starts taking safety issues seriously. But it is going to take >45 days to change the cockpit culture.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
About time the South Korean government starts taking safety issues seriously. But it is going to take >45 days to change the cockpit culture.
The way I see of your reply.
1. You are being sarcastic
OR
2. You just don't get what 45 days refering to

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Nov 14, 2014 at 12:58 pm Reason: Reported post
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:33 pm

I'd assume that OZ would re-route any passengers booked for ICN-SFO-XXX to connections at SEA and LAX.

For those destined to SFO, I'd assume that a number of OZ passengers (but, admittedly not all) would not want to fly KE unless OZ awards FF miles for those flights. ICN-SFO flights by UA and SQ will be quite full during this period. Likewise, a number might opt for ICN-SEA/LAX on OZ with connecting flights to SFO on UA.

Wonder if the order would prohibit OZ from offering ICN-SEA-SFO, ICN-LAX-SFO services (of course with no local traffic within the US). For that matter, is the Korean government swift enough to prohibit OZ from simply moving their ICN-SFO service to OAK or SJC?

If UA was smart - and certainly they aren't - they'd add capacity on ICN-SFO.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:23 pm

The Korean government is under pressure as a result of the sinking of the Sewol ferry. So IMO this was a no-brainer for them to sanction Asiana. The President, Park Geun-Hye, is unpopular with a sizable segment of the population, and she has found it difficult to shed an image of being soft on official corruption. If they had waived all sanctions against the airline, it wouldn't have played well.

I'm just glad I got all of our family's travel booked (out of LAX) before this news came out.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
When does the 45 day window start? Is the appeals process like in the us where it can drag on FOREVER?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:30 pm

Who will get their gates while the ban happens for 45 days?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by isaifan
Got a flight out next Friday, what are the chances I will fly?
Originally Posted by Indelaware
ICN-SFO flights by UA and SQ will be quite full during this period.
Originally Posted by dparkinson
When does the 45 day window start? Is the appeals process like in the us where it can drag on FOREVER?
If you guys actually read the article, rather than just the title of the thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/story/south...013-crash.html

If the suspension is upheld, it would go into effect within the next 6 months, during a time period of Asiana’s choosing.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Nov 15, 2014 at 1:06 am
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Indelaware
I'd assume that OZ would re-route any passengers booked for ICN-SFO-XXX to connections at SEA and LAX.

For those destined to SFO, I'd assume that a number of OZ passengers (but, admittedly not all) would not want to fly KE unless OZ awards FF miles for those flights. ICN-SFO flights by UA and SQ will be quite full during this period. Likewise, a number might opt for ICN-SEA/LAX on OZ with connecting flights to SFO on UA.

Wonder if the order would prohibit OZ from offering ICN-SEA-SFO, ICN-LAX-SFO services (of course with no local traffic within the US). For that matter, is the Korean government swift enough to prohibit OZ from simply moving their ICN-SFO service to OAK or SJC?

If UA was smart - and certainly they aren't - they'd add capacity on ICN-SFO.
ICN-SFO isn't a prime route for OZ, and neither are UA or SQ.

UA had already upgauged from 772 to 744, SQ had already upgauged from 772 to 77W. Neither carriers upgauged their planes were because of the increase amount of pax for this route. UA on one hand is about for the standardize 744 flying int'l out of SFO, as SFO is their prime maintenance facility for 744. SQ is about their 772 are aging. (SQ's prime route out of SFO is always SQ 1 but not SQ 15 ! You can even judge the amount of pax in the SQ lounge in the noon hours for SQ 15 compare to the amount of pax for SQ 1 around midnight where they are forcing out non-SQ pax due to capacity issue.)

Endorsing the tickets the UA and SQ make most sense, if not reroute the pax for SFO-LAX-ICN, since LAX-ICN has two flights and one of them is 380, not to mention there are hourly flights for SFO-LAX on UA.

SFO-SEA-ICN doesn't work as SEA-ICN is just a 330, not to mention UA SFO-SEA flights are limited.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Nov 15, 2014 at 1:26 am
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
OZ may choose to do the suspension in the middle of the winter, late January to early March. During that period, they could route their passengers through SEA or LAX or via KE (if there is an agreement between the two during the temporary period).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.