Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone book an Etihad award recently?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:08 am
THD
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC

I am trying to book an award on EY award SYD-AUH-FRA with OZ miles, but having called three times and emailed once, the replies are all not possible, but for different reasons.

- Members can only book awards on *A & Asiana
- EY awards no longer permitted after program change
- EY awards must be combined with OZ sector to be valid
- OZ computer system cannot access EY inventory since move to amadeus

The inconsistency is making me suspicious, especially since awards on EY are still advertised on the website.

Anybody have any recent experience or know any local OZ offices that can do EY awards?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Deleted as I was misinformed and not helping. Thanks for clarifying, THD.

Last edited by jon503; Sep 20, 2014 at 8:52 pm
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:02 am
THD
Original Poster

The website specifically mentions awards on QR & EY with associated redemption table. Page 33 of the membership guide also states that redemptions are possible on EY.

Partners' Flight Awards

EY offers reciprocal benefits with mileage accumulation and award bookings on OZ possible:

Asiana Airlines

Irrespective, have not been able to find an OZ office that has been able to book a ticket so looks like this is another case of OZ's consistent inconsistency.

Note - I did get one agent who said yes it was possible, found availability in award buckets for the routing and then began the ticketing process. She emailed back an hour later saying the fares loaded into the system could not be combined with EY.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:35 pm
THD
Original Poster

Just to inform everyone. Called the OZ central reservations centre in Korea, +8215888000, rather than the local sales offices. The agent was able to arrange an award ticket with EY directly, so it is possible to have an EY award with OZ miles. ^

EDIT: Just looked at the e-ticket and realised that EY do not charge fuel surcharges, SYD-AUH-FRA in F for 110 000 miles and €57 taxes!

Last edited by THD; Sep 24, 2014 at 2:40 pm
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by THD
Just to inform everyone. Called the OZ central reservations centre in Korea, +8215888000, rather than the local sales offices. The agent was able to arrange an award ticket with EY directly, so it is possible to have an EY award with OZ miles. ^

EDIT: Just looked at the e-ticket and realised that EY do not charge fuel surcharges, SYD-AUH-FRA in F for 110 000 miles and €57 taxes!
does OZ charge surcharges on award tickets?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:27 pm
THD
Original Poster

Asiana does not to my knowledge add any ticketing surcharge for award tickets but any fuel surcharges, taxes and other fees charged by the operating carrier, even if the operating carrier is OZ, will be charged as part of the award ticket. In other words, an award means only a zero cost fare, all additional fees must be paid.

For reference my outbound, on a separate award, is FRA-BKK-SYD with TG in F and cost also 110 000 miles but had €450 in fees
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:38 am

This is great info.
Thanks a lot THD.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by THD
Asiana does not to my knowledge add any ticketing surcharge for award tickets but any fuel surcharges, taxes and other fees charged by the operating carrier, even if the operating carrier is OZ, will be charged as part of the award ticket. In other words, an award means only a zero cost fare, all additional fees must be paid.
Correct, for most carriers that unfortunately means up you end up paying something around half the price of an economy class ticket in my experience. That's one of the reasons why it makes so much more sense to save up miles until you can get at least business if not first.

In the past, UA has been very generous with its award tickets and I never paid more than a nominal fee of $5-15. This was back when I used UA as my FFP though, so I'm not sure this applies to *A partner awards. Booking awards was the only thing I liked about UA...
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:26 pm

Etihad & Qatar Award Redemptions

Anyone have experience redeeming awards on Etihad and Qatar with OZ miles?

I am looking to fly from the U.S. (preferably East Coast) to HKG.

Thanks
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:16 am
THD
Original Poster

This was discussed a month ago.

Anyone book an Etihad award recently
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by THD
This was discussed a month ago.

Anyone book an Etihad award recently
1. Are you U.S.-based? From the posts in that thread, am I correct to gather that I need to call Korea instead of the OZ office in L.A.?

2. Have you made that trip yet?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:47 am
THD
Original Poster

1. I am European based but also tried the LA office, no luck. Recommend Korea.
2. Not yet. After the new year. Needed to make some special requests due to my son, EY say the itinerary is confirmed and ticketed.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:44 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Merged the two threads [/mod hat]
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond
Does the peak season penalty apply to EY (or QR, for that matter) awards? Wanting to book HRB-ICN-AUH-LAX-AUH-PEK flying OZ on the first leg and EY the rest of the way. Departing 28/9/15. Return 7/10/15
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:54 pm
THD
Original Poster

Harbin/Beijing to Los Angeles via Abu Dhabi is not a valid routing as it exceeds the maximum permitted mileage for that route by almost double. Unless your agent misses this check, you will not be allowed to ticket this itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.