Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Bookings Online

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:13 pm

Did something change with the US site in the past few days? I don't see the link for redeeming mileage for Star Alliance flights anymore.
Last week I could click on "using mileage" and it would enable a button on the right to search on SA flights. That option is gone?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by zeer0
Ahh, well you can now search Star Alliance awards online, through the Korea website. It's a hassle though.

I took a look at MIA-ZRH on a random date and taxes/fees come out to $578 one way in J and $199 one way in Y.

I highly recommend only booking UA, AC, and SAS for Asiana rewards from US-Europe, especially if booking in J. They are the only ones that don't have fuel surcharges. The fees on these range from $50-150 one way in J vs $400-600.
finally got through on the phone, USA to middle east one way on Swiss Air using OZ taxes were over $600

From what I see there's basically a very low tax using AC to fly on swiss air, but 22k miles more
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bernyx
finally got through on the phone, USA to middle east one way on Swiss Air using OZ taxes were over $600

From what I see there's basically a very low tax using AC to fly on swiss air, but 22k miles more
There's a chance AC will have avilability YYZ-ZRH in which case you'd pay very low fees.
Also SAS flies to Copenhagen and Oslo, both of which have connections to Zurich. I see them open up J space once in a while.
And TK flies to Istanbul.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by bizum
Did something change with the US site in the past few days? I don't see the link for redeeming mileage for Star Alliance flights anymore.
Last week I could click on "using mileage" and it would enable a button on the right to search on SA flights. That option is gone?
The option is back now.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by bizum
The option is back now.
Is it there now? It seems to be only Asiana awards can be booked. Even on the English language KR site I can search for Star Alliance awards but I just end up in a loop where there is never a place to buy it or even something saying what the cost is. has anybody booked a *A award online recently?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by ddutil
Is it there now? It seems to be only Asiana awards can be booked. Even on the English language KR site I can search for Star Alliance awards but I just end up in a loop where there is never a place to buy it or even something saying what the cost is. has anybody booked a *A award online recently?
Did you manage to login to your Asiana FFP account? I was able to book and ticket NH ticket two days ago.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by hclee01
Did you manage to login to your Asiana FFP account? I was able to book and ticket NH ticket two days ago.

on the English language Korea site I can pick flights but then I can never find a way to get beyond the screen that looks like this. Trued Chrome and Firefox. Any suggestion?
Attached Images
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
on the English language Korea site I can pick flights but then I can never find a way to get beyond the screen that looks like this. Trued Chrome and Firefox. Any suggestion?
I tried to replicate your booking and have gotten this error message after selecting the flight. I think there is an error message indicating that it must be made 60 days in advance. You can refer to the attached screenshot below. I checked through the website for this restriction and it is showing as follows:
https://flyasiana.com/C/KR/EN/conten...ileage-tickets

When boarding domestic flights in Japan using ANA, the below restrictions are applied
  • Maximum Number of Sections of Boarding: 4 Sections of Domestic Flights in Japan
  • Reservations Available by: 60 Days before the Date of Departure
  • Tickets Valid by: 90 Days after the Date of Ticket Issuance (Tickets Including International Flights: 1 Year after the Date of Ticket Issuance)
I suspect that there is a programming bug here given that the reservation is more than 60 days away. Will suggest that you reach out to OZ to issue this manually instead. Hope this helps.

Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:58 am

thanks
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
thanks
Classic Korean programming. The Korean language "in Korea" page works no problem and actually allows me to select flights from that entire day the other person tried.... Nov 19....
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:45 am

I'm pretty sure that must be a Japanese law because I had the same problem using Avios; I couldn't book Japanese domestic flights more than 2 months in advance.

Originally Posted by hclee01
I tried to replicate your booking and have gotten this error message after selecting the flight. I think there is an error message indicating that it must be made 60 days in advance. You can refer to the attached screenshot below. I checked through the website for this restriction and it is showing as follows:
https://flyasiana.com/C/KR/EN/conten...ileage-tickets

When boarding domestic flights in Japan using ANA, the below restrictions are applied
  • Maximum Number of Sections of Boarding: 4 Sections of Domestic Flights in Japan
  • Reservations Available by: 60 Days before the Date of Departure
  • Tickets Valid by: 90 Days after the Date of Ticket Issuance (Tickets Including International Flights: 1 Year after the Date of Ticket Issuance)
I suspect that there is a programming bug here given that the reservation is more than 60 days away. Will suggest that you reach out to OZ to issue this manually instead. Hope this helps.

Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:10 pm

I'm trying to find a way to check *A awards online. Does OZ not allow this. I can't find any possibility to search for anything other than flights to ICN.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
I booked *A J class awards last week using OZ miles, process was simple for me: switch to Korea as location, english as language, book flight option choose redeem and then a star alliance tab pops up.

Worked pretty good for me, booked MEL-SIN on SQ and KUL-IST on TK both in J.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by PHL_Intl.
I'm trying to find a way to check *A awards online. Does OZ not allow this. I can't find any possibility to search for anything other than flights to ICN.
Use the following link. Enter your credential to access your account and it should take you straight to the Star Alliance award tickets search.
https://flyasiana.com/I/KR/EN/Redemp...egistTravel.do
flyvirgin and zeer0 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
This is kinda ridiculous. Why can't they just have this as an option on the US version?

That said, thanks very much for the link, I was getting ready to make a pretty painful (probably) phone call tomorrow, but instead I can use their search engine. Not only that, but LOW AND BEHOLD the EXACT itinerary I wanna book is there. Absolutely incredible. That's so rare outside of my usual United/Aeroplan searchings. Copa, literally every non-Copa search just says "no results". Singapore 9/10 regardless of how much availability there is, shows no availability. Not OZ! Well done!

I do have one question though. Is there any reason NOT to book online? I'm based in Canada, paying a little exchange rate on Korean Won isn't the end of the world, but I'm wondering why they don't allow this as an option on the US site. Will I have an issues changing/cancelling the ticket if plans change? I mean anything outside the norm. Fees are understandable, but it seems like they're actively TRYING to make non-Korea based members not book online, and I don't wanna cross them if that is the case.

EDIT: Welp, I spoke too soon...the itinerary I wanted ONE WAY was there, unfortunately the other trajectory is not. Should I call? Or is their search engine pretty reliable? FWIW I'm looking at...

BOG (preferably MDE, but never found availability)-IST-SHJ on Nov 1/2 in Y
AUH-IST-BOG-MDE Nov 9 in Y (this is available via the search)

The problem is, my friend, who will be the passenger doesn't have rights to enter the USA even for transit purposes as a visa is required, so I'm doing everything I can to avoid that because the visas aren't cheap and can be a pain to get sometimes as well. The options presented both Nov 1/2 are via JFK/EWR.

Online on both aeroplan and united the itinerary BOG-IST-SHJ is available. Based on a couple searches it also appears that OZ doesn't have any issues finding TK availability. Perhaps the booking engine is having trouble with a +2 flight? It's BOG-IST (overnight +1) then IST-SHJ is at 0120am so +2, maybe tricking the engine into thinking it's not a connecting flight?

EDIT 2:....asked the question, then answered it myself. Tried booking BOG-IST stop IST-SHJ as a multi city or "add trip" as OZ calls it, same mileage and it worked, so that's a great result.
zeer0 likes this.

Last edited by drvannostren; Jan 4, 2020 at 6:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.