Can I check by bag through GMP-ICN

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Can I check by bag through GMP-ICN

Hi all,

This must be a classical question...

Will be doing CJU-GMP (OZ) then ICN-YVR (AC). I have a 5-hour connection between the two airports (on purpose with the hope of visiting Seoul). Can I check by bag through to YVR? i.e. do I need to retrieve it at GMP and carry it to ICN? I guess/hope not! I usually don't check bags but would like to use these few hours to walk around without carrying my bag...

Any other advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

R&F
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:46 pm

No, you can't check bags through. You'll need to pick them up and make the transfer yourself. The transfer alone takes about 35-45 minutes on the AREX train.

Also, you might not have taken into account how far ICN is from downtown Seoul. If you only have 5 hours, you probably only have enough time for about ~1 hour in the city. You'll need 30-45 minutes from GMP to the interesting parts of Seoul depending where you want to go, and then at least 60-90 from Seoul to get back to ICN.

Also, even if you were on the same airline, you'll need to check-in 1 hour in advance at ICN before your flight. So if you knew where you were going, you'd only have ~1 hour. Someone who doesn't know their way around + having baggage, I wouldn't try it.

There is a big mall attached to GMP (LotteMall) if you want to walk around with your bags, but I wouldn't recommend treking into the city with them. ICN also has alot to do. You can check in spend time in the Main Terminal before taking the train over to the Concourse (where your AC flight will be)

Last edited by SirJman; Jun 5, 2014 at 12:48 am
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
a 5hr connection isn't going to be nearly enough time to do anything meaningful in Seoul.

and given that you'll have your luggage, i'd suggest just going straight to ICN from GMP.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Thanks guys,

I'll keep with roller with me then...

I double checked and I actually have 6.5 hours to connect BMP-ICN, so maybe there's time to walk around in the city. Any advice?

Thanks!

R&F
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:48 pm

6.5 is a bit more manageable. You can leave you bag in a storage locker in a metro station, although you might need a bit of help translating the directions with some of the older machines. Are you thinking towards metro or taxi to get to and from airports and around the city? FYI many of the metro stations are not luggage friendly, so you'll have to carry them up and down stairs.

I'm thinking metro from GMP to the city. Since you have limited time, maybe head North of the Han, so Jeongro/Myungdong/Gyongbokgung Palace, it's kind of toursity, but it's still Korea.

When you are ready to go back, taxi to Seoul station (it would only be about 5,000W) where you can get the KTX/AREX trains to Incheon Airport. Which will take between 30-55 minutes.

When is this connection? If its winter, forget about trying to drag your bag through the wet and snowy streets, it won't be any fun at all.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Originally Posted by SirJman
6.5 is a bit more manageable. You can leave you bag in a storage locker in a metro station, although you might need a bit of help translating the directions with some of the older machines. Are you thinking towards metro or taxi to get to and from airports and around the city? FYI many of the metro stations are not luggage friendly, so you'll have to carry them up and down stairs.

I'm thinking metro from GMP to the city. Since you have limited time, maybe head North of the Han, so Jeongro/Myungdong/Gyongbokgung Palace, it's kind of toursity, but it's still Korea.

When you are ready to go back, taxi to Seoul station (it would only be about 5,000W) where you can get the KTX/AREX trains to Incheon Airport. Which will take between 30-55 minutes.

When is this connection? If its winter, forget about trying to drag your bag through the wet and snowy streets, it won't be any fun at all.
This is all subject to the timing...but...

I would get my bags from GMP and take it to ICN. Put into storage; since AC will only open 3 hours before the flight takes off.

http://www.airport.kr/airport/facili...&facilityId=84

Find out when the free tours are leaving from ICN and get to see Seoul that way.

http://www.cyberairport.kr/contents/...tour/index.jsp

Here is the website.

Last edited by muc2asia; Jun 16, 2014 at 11:32 am Reason: added the webpage for storage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.