Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Business/economy mixed itinerary - questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business/economy mixed itinerary - questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Question Business/economy mixed itinerary - questions

Hi All

I've never flown Asiana before, but wanted to ask a couple of questions regarding a forthcoming trip.

I'm flying for work (booked via their travel agent) in business class JFK-ICN and back. At some point after booking, I realized I'd need to visit Tokyo too, so my itinerary became (all on one PNR):

JFK-ICN business class

(stop)

ICN-NRT economy class

(stop)

HND-ICN economy class
ICN-JFK business class

Questions:

1) I assume that on one PNR my luggage allowance = the business class luggage allowance throughout. Is this correct?

2) I assume that I will get lounge access at JFK, HND (if it's open that early) and also at ICN (on the return journey) but not at ICN when flying to NRT. Is this corrrect?

3) Does anyone know the process for upgrading the economy legs? My employer won't pay for this, so I am left with doing this with my own funds (depending on price), or I could get Asiana miles (if it's possible to upgrade that way - by transferring from AMEX Membership Rewards). I called Asiana and they said they couldn't touch the itinerary until I'd flown the first leg, so I'll have to call again when in Seoul - but it would be helpful if there's anything special I need to know about the process in advance.

Thanks in advance for any advice.^
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by User Name
2) I assume that I will get lounge access at JFK, HND (if it's open that early) and also at ICN (on the return journey) but not at ICN when flying to NRT. Is this corrrect?

3) Does anyone know the process for upgrading the economy legs? My employer won't pay for this, so I am left with doing this with my own funds (depending on price), or I could get Asiana miles (if it's possible to upgrade that way - by transferring from AMEX Membership Rewards). I called Asiana and they said they couldn't touch the itinerary until I'd flown the first leg, so I'll have to call again when in Seoul - but it would be helpful if there's anything special I need to know about the process in advance.

Thanks in advance for any advice.^
Are you *G ? If not you only get lounge access outbound at JFK, and inbound at ICN only

ICN-NRT and HND-ICN are barely 2 hours flights, not worth to upgrade at all.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 3:06 am

Programs: OZ D+, BA Silver, IC Royal Plat. Ambassador
Upgrading depends on what booking class your Y ticket is booked in.
If paying for the upgrade, you would have to pay the full fare difference. I presume this would require a cancellation and reissue of your ticket and whatever charges come with it. Paid station upgrades at check-in are not offered by OZ in Korea (at least I have never heard of it).
Any fare discounted more than 50% on published Y fare is not upgradeable using mileage.
Your best bet is to go straight to the ticket counter at ICN 3rd floor when you arrive and see what the options are.

However, as previous poster said, this flight is hardly worth upgrading unless you absolutely need the baggage allowance or lounge access at HND.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Thanks.

Will the baggage allowance be lower on the economy segments even though the business segments are on the same PNR?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:41 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
If the segments are all on the same ticket, you will get the higher allowance. Being on the same PNR means nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.