Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may edit this Wikipost.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO (reg no HL-7742), a 2006 Boeing 777-200ER with P&W PW4090 engines; flew ICN - KIX - ICN immediately prior (not as OZ 214). 291 passengers and 16 crew on board. 3 people dead, 48 seriously injured, 132 less so.

Aircraft landed short on approach (VFR weather, ILS out of service, PAPI working) impacting the seawall delimiting runway 28L with main landing gear and then the tail 11:28 PDT, careering down the runway to a stop and ensuing fire. The empennage and both engines separated from the fuselage, and fire from an oil drip in engine no. 2 burnt a significant part of the upper forward fuselage.

Runway 28L / 10R was closed until 1700 PDT 12 July; all SFO runways are open.

Here is a Link to the Flightaware track. (6 Jul 2013).

Link to original BBC article; Link to BBC photo show

Update: 08 July 2013
Summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 09 July 2013
SF Gate summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 10 July 2013
NBC video and summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 11 July 2013
San Jose Mercury summary of final NTSB press conference

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the sensitive nature of an aircraft crash, Senior Moderators ask that posts be made keeping the surviving passengers, crewmembers and their families in mind. Posts that do not comply with TOS (off-topic and dilatory posts, OMNI, conspiracies, inflammatory, etc.) will be summarily deleted.
Print Wikipost

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by ShadowCaptain
Some do, but it's not a legal requirement and it usually done for maintenance purposes and won't include all the same information. For example Rolls Royce offer managed service contracts for their engines where they monitor them constantly in order to pro-actively detect and respond to any issues.
Thank you. One wonders, then, since the capability exists, why all the info that the FDR gets isn't transmitted in real time, before, right up until, a potential event that destroys or sends the FDR to a deep place in the ocean. I do realize that FDRs are made to be indestructible, and the data storage demands would possibly be unsustainable.

(And I realize this has been hashed ad nauseum after other crashes, so I apologize for going here.)
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:18 pm

passenger potentially hit by vehicle

The article up-thread about the one teenage girl possibly being hit by a vehicle says she was found near the west side wing of the aircraft. I believe that's the side clearly seen in this video also linked already up thread. Prior to the 1:18 mark there are no vehicles.

The video cuts at the 1:18 mark; when it does there is one rescue vehicle already in frame (call it truck 1), and second that comes barreling in (behind the plane) almost immediately (call it truck 2 -- it has been the subject of some discussion already, for heading off frame). A third then follows right behind it (in the foreground) (call it truck 3). Trucks 2 and 3 seem to initially be well clear of any passengers. You can see spraying already happening on the other side of the aircraft, so a truck 4 would presumably have arrived during the cut in the video.

Truck 1 first drives right through the middle of a group of passengers. The video resolution is not good enough to get an exact headcount, but after it passes nobody is acting like someone in the group just got run over. Truck 3 then doubles back towards the wing, again splitting a group of passengers. Now, however, a guy starts running back down the slide just in front of the door (which he'd just started to climb) back towards truck 3. Unfortunately the video then ends.

Has anyone seen an unedited version of this tape, to see what happens next? If that poor young lady was in fact hit by a vehicle by that wing, the full version of this video would likely have captured it.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
(content removed)

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 9, 2013 at 12:18 am
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by Diogenes1789
If anyone commented on this, I missed it. According to Cabin manager Lee Yoon-hye, two evacuation slides on the doors inflated inside the cabin instead of outside, pinning two flight attendants to the floor. She reported that FA's had to attack the slides with an axe to release a trapped FA who was being choked by the slide. The performance of the slides in this case would hardly inspire confidence in the safety of Boeing equipment (undoubtedly some sub-contractor manufactures them, but according to Boeing standards and with Boeing's installation.) It appears that the FA's at least, if not the pilots, were well trained and functioning at a high level.
http://www.sfgate.com/news/world/art...on-4651634.php
This could have happened because the floor and/or roof was compromised, but I hope the NTSB draws a bead on the slide performance in this event. In the safety system, they are integral, along with a lot of other design and material components, in the specification of objectives (ignitability, burn rate, smoke and heat production etc., as well as time to full evacuation).
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:30 pm
Suspended

I guess we learned a lot from this incident happening in the first place as of now, will get the rest soon enough.

But the integrity and safety of the Boeing 777 for Commercial and long haul using existing procedures and training has been outstanding and will definitely continue to be and will hold up and even Asiana will be back in the game without issue after learning from this experience.

There are not any modifications needed to the 777s to resolve this issue whatsoever and no problems in the existing Asiana fleets.

Asiana also unfortunately did have a higher accident rate although small than other carriers with better safety standards and actually a better standard than Korea Airlines which also had some crashes.

This one crash just proves again that the skies are the safest it has ever been.

The media seems to chime in with a lot of folks like Sullenberger and others but one has to realize they are just a few folks with commercial aviation experience with lots of outstanding pilots with little name recognition.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Life Plat, HHonors DM
Smile

I love reading the NTSB twitter feed.

Twitter from House Transportation ‏@Transport: Kudos on using social media for the public good --> @NTSB Utilizes Social Media During Asiana 214 Investigation http://www.nycaviation.com/2013/07/t.../#.Udsd6j7XT31

And an answer from NTSB ‏@NTSB @Transport - Thanks for the kudos Chairman.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:36 pm
Suspended

True but it won't take a year to finish to understand what really did happen. Only a matter of a few days in actuality if they do release all relevant information quickly.

The bright folks were indeed the engineers and employees who manufactured the aircraft and related components and also credit to the well trained professionals in the industry.

Boeing 777 has truly exceeded expectations and the Dreamliner should have a solid record as well going forward.

Last edited by adamj023; Jul 8, 2013 at 5:43 pm
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
(content removed)

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 9, 2013 at 12:18 am
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Is 28R open again? Am watching NBC News & Tom Costello's stand up w/OZ214 over his shoulder. Another heavy (couldn't make out the livery) was clearly taxiing behind the crashed plane, apparently on 28R
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Firewind
This could have happened because the floor and/or roof was compromised, but I hope the NTSB draws a bead on the slide performance in this event.
I had similar thought -if these were rear exits the doors/frames could have been warped by the impact. If you then pull the handle and the door doesn't open the slide has nowhere else to go but inwards.

(Not cabin crew - don't know how these things work)
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by adamj023
There are not any modifications needed to the 777s to resolve this issue whatsoever and no problems in the existing Asiana fleets.
I don't know if we can say that yet. Perhaps no mods to the airframe, but I can imagine pilot feedback systems could be changed based on the NTSB report. Plus there are questions around the slide deployment that will need careful examination.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:44 pm

Yes 28R is open
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by txrus
Is 28R open again? Am watching NBC News & Tom Costello's stand up w/OZ214 over his shoulder. Another heavy (couldn't make out the livery) was clearly taxiing behind the crashed plane, apparently on 28R
Yes opened yesterday. We had a 747 coming in to land as we were taking off on the cross runways in a United 757 at 4pm Pacific.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alex_b
I don't know if we can say that yet. Perhaps no mods to the airframe, but I can imagine pilot feedback systems could be changed based on the NTSB report. Plus there are questions around the slide deployment that will need careful examination.
If you make the wrong changes, they will deteriorate the existing success rate of what we have right now. When something has been working for years with outstanding success day in and day out and is working right now even after the crash of this jet you have to be extremely careful.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:48 pm
Suspended

To see if a runway is open and you aren't in the cockpit, you can just go to flightradar24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.