Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

question on Star Alliance Upgrade rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator

Hey, all. I am thinking about using Asiana miles to upgrade a Star alliance flight this winter. My question is, are codeshare flights eligible?

Here is what the Asiana Club website says (my bolding):

Star Alliance flights that are available for seating class upgrades regular flights operated by Air Canada, Air China, Air New Zealand, All Nippon Airways, Austrian Airlines, Egyptair, Brussels Airlines, Continental Airlines, TAM Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa Air, Thai Airways, Turkish Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Swiss International Airline, TAP Portugal, United Airlines, Scandinavian Airlines, Shanghai Airlines, (Seat upgrades for Star Alliance joint flights will be provided in the future)

So are "regular" flights those operated AND marketed by the airlines listed? And are "joint" flights codeshare flights? Anyone with any info/experience would be welcome. I found a fairly decent "B" fare from Croatia to the US--the fare is sold by OU (Croatia Airlines) but it is a codeshare with SK (SAS) as the operating carrier.

I called Asiana and they promised to get back to me, but I thought I would try the experts on this board.

Another potential problem is that OU isn't on the list above from the Asiana website. The difference in a "B" fare with OU vs with SAS is close to $600. But in any event, since all the lower buckets are available through OU, I don't want to pay for "B" if there's no chance to get the upgrade.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Asiana called me back within 24 hours ^. The bad news is that codeshares are not eligible for upgrades using Asiana Club miles. Ah well. So I will probably end up buying a "Z" fare from Croatia Airlines (only $200 more expensive than a "B" fare on SAS) and saving the OZ miles for something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.