Search

Upgrade to use Asiana FC Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Upgrade to use Asiana FC Lounge?

Need some good advice...

I am traveling on UA from ICN to SFO...thinking about miles to upgrade to FC from Business.

Given the FC and J products are similar on the 747 (I think with the lay-flat beds, there is only a marginal difference), I primarily am thinking to use the FC lounge.

Is it worth using the "satellite" FC Asiana lounge?

Additionally, will I be able to take my wife and daughter (who is traveling in J class) into the FC lounge with me? I know it is one guest per customer, but it's my child, so I was thinking that they would be pretty lax on the rules.

Thanks in advance for your prompt answers.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:15 am

Personally, I would certainly not use miles to upgrade to F when the only important consideration is the lounge. OZ F lounge is not drastically different from the C lounge, and both of them are nothing special by any means.

If you want to travel in F anyway for the additional comfort, by all means do. But if you don't care about the difference between the F seat and the C seat, UA service and food difference between F and C are not enough to warrant the upgrade IMHO. Save the miles for something more useful!

As for lounge access, as always with trying to achieve something not within the rules, it really depends on the agent on the day. Since they are already in the J lounge, I suspect they might be more inclined to let all of you use the F side. But as I said, the difference is definitely not enough to make me want to upgrade - we are hardly talking about the LH First Class Terminal at FRA, for sure.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Originally Posted by stargold
Personally, I would certainly not use miles to upgrade to F when the only important consideration is the lounge. OZ F lounge is not drastically different from the C lounge, and both of them are nothing special by any means.

If you want to travel in F anyway for the additional comfort, by all means do. But if you don't care about the difference between the F seat and the C seat, UA service and food difference between F and C are not enough to warrant the upgrade IMHO. Save the miles for something more useful!

As for lounge access, as always with trying to achieve something not within the rules, it really depends on the agent on the day. Since they are already in the J lounge, I suspect they might be more inclined to let all of you use the F side. But as I said, the difference is definitely not enough to make me want to upgrade - we are hardly talking about the LH First Class Terminal at FRA, for sure.
So just to confirm the Asiana FC lounge...is comparable to the C class lounge? I have never been past the "iron" curtain, so I just want to make sure. Would 10K miles for the privilege to use FC lounge and be upgraded from C to FC worth it? The 10K is the difference between a C class saver awards and F class saver award.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:28 pm

For 10k difference, I would probably do the upgrade, but mostly for the additional seat/cabin comfort rather than the lounge.

There are no significant differences between the two lounges - the most that I can think of are better food/beverage options and possibly less crowded during peak hours. But it's certainly not a 'destination lounge' like the LH FCT...

If I was able to take a different carrier, e.g. OZ or NH, then I would definitely do the upgrade in a heartbeat. But the chances of finding enough seats for the whole family on those airlines are more or less zero.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this has been cross-posted in the UA Mileage Plus Forum and this is about flying UA, please continue the discussion there. Thanks!

JDiver, Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by muc2asia
Need some good advice from UA people, since the Asiana board is not active.

--------

I am traveling on UA from ICN to SFO...thinking about miles to upgrade to FC from Business.

Given the FC and J products are similar on the 747 (I think with the lay-flat beds, there is only a marginal difference), I primarily am thinking to use the FC lounge. Or should I not think this way.

Is it worth using the "satellite" FC Asiana lounge?

Additionally and more importantly, will I be able to take my wife and daughter (who is traveling in J class) into the FC lounge with me? I know it is one guest per customer, but it's my child, so I was thinking that they would be pretty lax on the rules.

Thanks in advance for your prompt answers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.