Search

1hr 40 mins connection at PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Question 1hr 40 mins connection at PVG

Travelling LX & OZ ZRH-PVG-ICN in C.
Both on one ticket, both arrive and depart from Terminal 2.

Is this doable because I've been advised it breaches the minimum connection time, MCT, but I have it booked nonetheless?
I do not have a visa for China nor do I intend to get one.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by jbfield
Travelling LX & OZ ZRH-PVG-ICN in C.
Both on one ticket, both arrive and depart from Terminal 2.

Is this doable because I've been advised it breaches the minimum connection time, MCT, but I have it booked nonetheless?
I do not have a visa for China nor do I intend to get one.
AAR could wait till your arrival, if you can get checked in at origin.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sadd
AAR could wait till your arrival, if you can get checked in at origin.
What is AAR? Some kind of arrival immigration transfer service?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:41 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Checked Luggage..Not Likely as LX System in ZRH should flag Under Connection

Carry on only .. INT-INT OK but possible no through B/C so you have to hope OZ have Transit Check-in facilities or you can maybe do it on-line before departure from ZRH.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by UncleDude

Carry on only .. INT-INT OK but possible no through B/C so you have to hope OZ have Transit Check-in facilities or you can maybe do it on-line before departure from ZRH.
I have never seen any open transit counters at PVG *A terminal (T2?). They are always empty when I arrive.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by UncleDude

The full trip is actually CPH-ZRH-PVG-ICN-(20 hours)-NGO
LX LX OZ OZ

What does the LX System flagging my baggage connection time mean in practice? Will they let me check-in my bags in CPH?! or do you mean they will force me to collect them in PVG (which I can't do as I'm not buying a visa).

I assume the bags not connecting won't be a big deal to me personally as there are later PVG-ICN flights that day they could go on and there are 20 hours or so between arriving in ICN before I then depart on ICN-NGO. I was going to check them through from CPH to NGO.

I am assuming I'll get BP's for the journey at least as far as ICN at this stage as it is one ticket and all on *A.

Last edited by jbfield; Aug 1, 2011 at 12:29 pm
Old Aug 1, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
AFAIK transiting in PVG means you need to reclaim your bags and recheck in, however you don't need a Chinese Visa. I didn't have one, and they allowed me in to transit
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I do think Star Alliance is under special protection by the Chinese government due to the Air China involvement so "normal" transit might actually be possible. With other alliances no way but worth checking when flying with Star carriers.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jbfield
.... or do you mean they will force me to collect them in PVG (which I can't do as I'm not buying a visa).
It is my understanding that all pax go through immigration, even if in transit, and pick up their bags. They then head upstairs to re-check in.

Certain nationalities, including US passport holders, are eligible for up to 48 hours of free transit time.

Originally Posted by e-aviation
AFAIK transiting in PVG means you need to reclaim your bags and recheck in, however you don't need a Chinese Visa. I didn't have one, and they allowed me in to transit
Again, this is for a select group of nationalities and isn't available for all.

On my recent trips through PVG I found a sign which read 'Transfer to International' however, in smaller print at the bottom it also read 'Passengers transiting from NZ to VS, LX and LH, vice verse, should proceed to the international transfer counter'. All other passengers seemingly pointed toward luggage.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
It is my understanding that all pax go through immigration, even if in transit, and pick up their bags. They then head upstairs to re-check in.

Certain nationalities, including US passport holders, are eligible for up to 48 hours of free transit time.

Again, this is for a select group of nationalities and isn't available for all.

On my recent trips through PVG I found a sign which read 'Transfer to International' however, in smaller print at the bottom it also read 'Passengers transiting from NZ to VS, LX and LH, vice verse, should proceed to the international transfer counter'. All other passengers seemingly pointed toward luggage.
Unfortunately for me, I'm not eligible for a free transit visa:
1. Visas are not required of aliens who hold air tickets to the final destination and have booked seats on international airliners flying directly through China, and will stay in a transit city for less than 24 hours without leaving the airport.

2. Visas are not required of passport holders of the following countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai, provided they hold valid passports, visas for the onward countries, final destination tickets and have booked seats, and stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours : Republic of Korea, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland.
http://www.visaforchina.org/LON_EN/v...n/250022.shtml
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84242.htm
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Through check-in is only available at PVG from LX, LH, and VS flights to NZ service or vice versa, which is why the transit counter is not attended most of the time, as NZ only have 3 weekly flights (soon 4 weekly). Between other airlines you will have to clear immigration, pick up bags and re check-in on the departure floor.

I look at this as an experimental service initiated by NZ or *A which could lead to full reciprocity among all *A carriers serving PVG in the future. However FM having left *A is not helping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.