Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Train service ICN-Seoul now operating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest

See this at FT Asia
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:27 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Have I missed something ? I read through the thread you linked to but couldn't see any mention of the airport train running to downtown Seoul (apart from the thread title).

As far as I know the airport train only goes as far as Gimpo until they finish the line the to downtown area.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:34 am

They opened the train line to Seoul train station (very downtown in Seoul) from 12/29/2010. Passengers can transfer to many other subway lines (1,2,4,5,6,9 or more) without any additional charge. So from any place in Seoul, it costs only 3000-5000 won ($3-5) to ICN airport. Good luck carrying all heavy luggages down to the subway, though.

At Seoul train station, KE, OZ, and Jeju air passengers can check in luggages before boarding on the train to ICN. It is now of no charge, but from March, only express train passengers ($10 or so) are waived for the luggage check-in.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
Does anyone know how long it now takes to reach downtown Seoul via this new train service? Is it practical to get there and back on a long layover of 8 hours or more?

EDIT: Found this link in another thread (not the one references by the OP) to an article about the new train service: World's best airport gets better

The answer to my question = 43 minutes

Last edited by PittDoc; Jan 13, 2011 at 10:16 am
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:20 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
They opened the train line to Seoul train station (very downtown in Seoul) from 12/29/2010. Passengers can transfer to many other subway lines (1,2,4,5,6,9 or more) without any additional charge.
This is great news. Is it ahead of schedule ? I thought that it wasn't due to be opened until July.

As you say though - only useful for people with minimal luggage.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Doug_1970
This is great news. Is it ahead of schedule ? I thought that it wasn't due to be opened until July.
I'm not sure.. but what surprises me was that they actually lowered the ticket price by USD 2 or so (permanently) several days before the opening.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:56 am

How does this service compare to the HK Airport Express?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
How often does the airport train run? I am considering an OZ flight with about 10 hrs of layover in ICN. A trip to downtown Seoul might make the layover less painful.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Last I heard, regular trains run every 6 minutes. Express trains every 30 minutes.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:23 pm

The express trains depart ICN and Seoul Station at :00 and :30. The regular trains run more often. The express train takes 43 minutes. Not sure about the regular ones.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Blue; HHonors Gold; Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by vprp
The express trains depart ICN and Seoul Station at :00 and :30. The regular trains run more often. The express train takes 43 minutes. Not sure about the regular ones.
timetable:
http://www.arex.or.kr/jsp/eng/time/time_table.jsp

Commuter train: 53 mins. The additional cost doesn't seem justified. but there are other benefis to the express. (Check in at Seoul station, for example)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.