Search

Myanmar Prepaid SIM

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 8:09 pm
rjh
Original Poster

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Myanmar Prepaid SIM

Report that prepaid GSM SIMs are now available in Myanmar.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rjh
Report that prepaid GSM SIMs are now available in Myanmar.
Here is a more in-depth article. The big caveat is that the new cards will only be available at the upmarket hotels in country run by Tay Za, a close ally of General Than Shwe.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:41 am
rjh
Original Poster

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
What are the requirements for a local to buy a SIM? I asked when I was there, but got the usual smile with a non-answer.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:05 pm

Like anything else there, money! Current cost is about $2500 for the phone itself. A friend of our guide/driver had one. And even with, the actual cell service wasn't always reliable -- even in cities.

As the article indicates, the cost will be dropped, but the per minute charges will balloon.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
yikes... I had no idea the cost for the phone was so high. I dont remember seeing anyone with phones for my entire 2 weeks there. Then again, I stayed at small guesthouses not major hotels and did not travel on a package tour to try to put as little money as possible to the government.

I would assume that anyone with a cell phone then would somehow be connected to the government goons.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 2:55 pm

it might seem that way, but...

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I would assume that anyone with a cell phone then would somehow be connected to the government goons.
not necessarily true. The gentleman whom I met who had one was a pretty well-to-do businessman in a major city, with several shops to call his own. No doubt being successful in business requires some (ahem) government interaction, like anywhere in the world...but, also like anywhere else, there are those who have the disposable income and/or business needs that would allow or warrant their spending the money on something that may seem "outlandish" -- kind of how I see luxury car owners here in the west.

And I'm pretty sure he's not in cohoots with the generals based on private conversations we had.

Interesting tidbit: the cost of a mobile phone was actually cut ~50% around a year ago -- so $2500 ain't that bad!

Last edited by TheBeerHunter; Dec 10, 2008 at 2:55 pm Reason: more info
Old Dec 18, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
Interesting tidbit: the cost of a mobile phone was actually cut ~50% around a year ago -- so $2500 ain't that bad!
Erm, US$2500???
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by abraxis
Erm, US$2500???
Yes, US$2500. The country of Myanmar is ruled by a paranoid junta that doesn't want its people to know about life in the outside world. God forbid the people should easily be able to communicate with friends, family, and others in the outside world (or that during such crises as the so-called saffron revolution that happened last year, they should be able to get news out to the world of what is going on).

By keeping the cost of things like cell phones way out of reach of the average person, the government keeps its fist tightly clenched around the knowledge of its people.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 1:09 am

Post About prepaid GSM phone cards in Myanmar

There are some interesting articles on this blog about prepaid phone cards in Myanmar. They are cheap and easily available to general public but also has their own shortcomings. Call rate is expensive and no way of refill, so after a month, the phone card expires. To buy one, you need to show your ID card or your passport. The price is US$ 10 and US$20 per card and each customer can buy up to 3 SIM cards (two US$ 10 cards and one US$ 20 card).

Here are the articles:

Prepaid SIM cards available in City Mart Supermarket

New GSM prepaid SIM cards from Myanmar

Hope these articles would help you in finding a SIM card to use while you are in Burma.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Call rates for these are (in US$):
Outgoing International 1.5
Outgoing local 0.30
Incoming call 0.05
Outgoing SMS 0.05 (couldn't get this to work).
Card has a validity of 30 days once activated, no top-ups possible - just buy a new one.

It seems City Mart is usually out of stock, I bought one in a phone shop on Anawrahta Road, near Sule (US$20+2000kyat) - no need for ID/Passport.

It's not the most reliable network but functions mostly ok.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:51 pm

2013 updates?

Visiting for first time next month and wanted to purchase prepaid sim card, ideally with both voice and data. Suggestions re which provider, where to buy [at airport, hotel or retail store], passport or other ID required, etc./..
Old May 21, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
I would recommend getting one at the airport. This will be USD 20 I believe and once used you throw away you can not top it up.

you can try to buy a SIM from one of the retail stores in Yangon that can be topped up. However they are in very short supply at the moment. There are new USD2 SIM cards but they are virtually impossible to get hold of. therefore you are likely to only be able to get the old ones that cost USD250 (and even these are difficult to find).
Old May 22, 2013, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Lobster
I would recommend getting one at the airport. This will be USD 20 I believe and once used you throw away you can not top it up.
What services is included: voice, text, and data? How many minutes, how much data, etc.?
Old May 22, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by dtsm
What services is included: voice, text, and data? How many minutes, how much data, etc.?
I'm not sure of the details as I have a top upable pre pay SIM. But assuming it is similar to mine then you get voice (both national and international), text (just national) and data (charged per minute not by quantity of data - speed is very slow so not suitable for large quantities of data)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.