Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Does KUL have a hop on hop off city tour?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does KUL have a hop on hop off city tour?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:49 pm

KL Monorail

WRT KLIA Ekpres Train vs. Taxi, unless you are traveling late at night when there is no traffic, or you are going to a hotel that isn't near a RapidKL stop, you are always better off taking the train into KL Sentral and transferring there to RapidKL train service. If you're going to take the train to KL Sentral and then go wait in the taxi queue there, then yeah... it's a bit more of a toss-up. Still, the train is ALWAYS 28 minutes, and travels a heck of alot faster than any vehicle on the roads. Hard to beat that reliability.

WRT Seeing center city: As for seeing the sites in the center city of KL, I agree completely with just hopping on and off the monorail. It was built specifically to connect alot of the areas of interest to tourists, with the exception of the parks and gardens east of the old downtown (Merdeka Square, bird park, Islamic Museum, etc.)
Old Jul 11, 2010, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by clintonbench
Still, the train is ALWAYS 28 minutes
As long as they dont merge it with the transit/commuter service, which prolongs the journey by ten minutes and the train can be very crowded. And no they dont give you a rebate when they decide to do some cost cutting, and sometimes they dont even made any announcement leaving many passengers thinking they boarded the wrong/slower train (so its your fault not theirs) ...
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:25 pm

Hmm, I vaguely remember KUL as having a centralized taxi service akin to Newark and many others were you get a fixed rate at the airport right away for any destination inside Kuala Lumpur. Anyone that can verify this?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Yes, taxi voucher bought at the airport

Both KUL and the LCCT have a booth selling vouchers for the trip into the city. This is similar to most Malaysian airports so as to preclude the situation found in many S.E. Asian locations (taxi mafia extorting fares). Be careful, however, in Jakarta because the booth is the actual rip-off, but that is Indonesia.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:44 am

taxis at KUL

Yes... Pay in advance at desk. 3 types of cars available... They will automaticaly quote you the mercedes price. Take note that if you have alot of luggage, you really do have to choose the middle option of the three as the economy ars can probably fit only 2 medium sized bags.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler

Got up the next morning and took the train from the hotel station Taman Jaya to the end of the line and then hired a taxi for meter rate from there to the Batu Caves at 7MYR. The caves are covered in Monkeys that are NOT friendly so DON'T try to pet them. Keep your distance, take photos and don't feed them. at night.
You're lucky. I had pay the tourist rate of $15MYR.. both ways!

KL used to have a hop on hop off bus a couple of years ago when i was there, but I'm not sure it still exists. I googled it and all the links seem to be dead
Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Ichinensei
You're lucky. I had pay the tourist rate of $15MYR.. both ways!

KL used to have a hop on hop off bus a couple of years ago when i was there, but I'm not sure it still exists. I googled it and all the links seem to be dead
Here's the link for the bus: http://www.myhoponhopoff.com/ - It definitely exists; I almost got hit by one half an hour ago.

I have lived in KL for many years, fly several times per month, and I've long ago abandoned everything but the express train to get to the airport.

Taxis are too subject to unexpected traffic delays (which can occur any time day or night; in my neighborhood the worst jams are around 11pm) and the drivers can be very erratic. I have had one too many half-drunk idiots for my liking.

With the train I know I can leave my house exactly two hours before my flight's scheduled departure and always be guaranteed to get on the plane.

The price will always be RM42 (RM7 for in-town taxi to the train station plus RM35 for the train) and I will always have enough space to sit comfortably (unlike the taxis which are extremely cramped for tall foreigners).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.