FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/804256-prior-2022-visa-voa-info-vietnam.html)

worldtravel Aug 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Moved to a different thread.

myflight11 Aug 16, 2011 8:18 pm

Terry-

Did you have to transit overnight? Just curious for those who overnight at the airport, if a visa is needed? Can I get the visa there on arrival?

JFKSFOLAX_friend Sep 9, 2011 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by jimbo99 (Post 15118521)
I agree - not just for this thread but FT in general. It's a pity when people don't post back the outcome.

Have you considered PM'ing the poster in question and asking them to post their outcome?

portlandexpos04 Sep 27, 2011 4:28 pm

Can anyone confirm that a 2x2 passport photo is ok for a Vietnam Visa on Arrival even though the form asks for 4 cm x 6 cm? I'm having a lot of trouble finding a place that can do 4 cm x 6 cm... almost everyone I've called only does 2x2. Thanks in advance!

dsquared37 Sep 27, 2011 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by portlandexpos04 (Post 17183525)
Can anyone confirm that a 2x2 passport photo is ok for a Vietnam Visa on Arrival even though the form asks for 4 cm x 6 cm? I'm having a lot of trouble finding a place that can do 4 cm x 6 cm... almost everyone I've called only does 2x2. Thanks in advance!

I'm going to assume 2x2 refers to inches and is 5x5 cm. Basically this is valid for a US passport/visa application. My experience in Asia is visa applications need a picture and nobody really cares what size they are.

As in many other circumstances the US regs are more overbearing and followed to a T than Asian countries.

That said, I've never done a VOA for Vietnam. In the handful of regular visa applications (all issued in SE Asia) I've submitted various sized pics (basically whatever was on hand) and there's not been any issues.

BKKROP Sep 27, 2011 7:02 pm

Can anyone confirm that a 2x2 passport photo is ok for a Vietnam Visa on Arrival even though the form asks for 4 cm x 6 cm? !

Hi, the standard 2x2 is more rectangular than square, so fits the 6x4cm requirements. You will require one only for a VOA.
In Hanoi, the VOA is on the ground floor, tucked away in the RH corner.

DO NOT line up in the front where the signs are and is the most obvious place to be.

Go down the aisle to the rear of the cubicle, where there is another counter. This is where they receive the visa forms, the photos and the vietnam arrival forms.

THEN you return to the front counter of this room, to await your visa and the payment of same. If arriving in SGN, the VOA is to the left of the passport control, and everything is handled at the one counter.

mongobot Sep 27, 2011 10:35 pm

As others have noted, you should be fine with the 2x2 picture. I've used it before for VOA with no problem.
Also, given that their consulate specifies a 2x2 for Visa application you've got further indication they are accepting of the common standard.

http://tinyurl.com/43hn72f

portlandexpos04 Sep 27, 2011 10:35 pm

Thanks guys! ^

JapanFlyerT Sep 28, 2011 2:17 am

Originally Posted by jimbo99 (Post 16181651)
If you need the authorisation in advance, I have used these people and came to me recommended.

http://hotels-in-vietnam.com/hotels/...tnam_visa.html

Used your link and got a response in 45 minutes! Only $14+25 on arrival, so much better than an embassy visit.

RevJim Sep 28, 2011 2:42 am

Cruise ship arrival

Can anyone comment on how the Vietnam visas work when arriving via cruise ship?

My wife wants to go on an Asia cruise and if the VOA program is available for cruise passengers that would certainly make it easier...

SaigonCyclo Sep 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by RevJim (Post 17185621)
Can anyone comment on how the Vietnam visas work when arriving via cruise ship?

My wife wants to go on an Asia cruise and if the VOA program is available for cruise passengers that would certainly make it easier...

Best to check with your cruise line for visa details.

jiejie Sep 29, 2011 12:27 am

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo (Post 17190824)
Best to check with your cruise line for visa details.

Agree. Check with your cruise line. If you are just going on day shore excursions, they may be able to take the brunt of dealing with the visa paperwork, with a few items contributed by you. If you will actually be disembarking at a Vietnam port and then continuing the tour overland, that would be a different need.

RevJim Sep 29, 2011 9:41 am

Ah yes, hadn't thought of that. If hotels can issue VOA letters, I bet cruise ships can too. I'll look into that...

Thanks for the tip...

worldwidedreamer Oct 2, 2011 11:27 am

In the for what it is worth department, I am a US citizen who obtained a single entry Vietnam visa for ~USD80 at the Vietnamese consulate in San Francisco last week. The process took about three days and was relatively painless. I know I spent more money...but sometimes peace of mind (and making my first meeting) are worth something.

dsquared37 Oct 3, 2011 9:56 pm

For those who will be spending some time in SE Asia ahead of their entry into Vietnam take this into consideration:

You can get a single entry visa in Phnom Penh for $45. The visa is either processed that day, or, at the latest, the next.

This is equivalent to the cost of the pre-arranged VOA.