FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/804256-prior-2022-visa-voa-info-vietnam.html)

GB Dec 4, 2010 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 15376011)
FTers on this site have used the service so the issuing of pre-approved visas on arrival are legitimate.

A check of the lonely planet website says they have been discussing it for years and people continually come back and say 'oh, it might not be legal.'

Of course they are.

It is not a matter of 'saving $30' - it is a time and effort saving. The letter of invitation, which is exchanged for the visa at the airport, is simple and easy to complete on-line. Letter sent to you on-line. So is the arrival form (so you can complete that at home and not queue at the airport on arrival).

It's the convenience rather than saving $.

Perhaps the embassies are getting confused with people who think they can just turn up at the airport in Vietnam and get a visa... you can't... you do need to apply for the letter of invitation before you arrive.

How do you obtain the arrival form ahead of time? I find this is frustrating to wait to get this at the window as it makes the process longer than necessary.

HKtraveller Dec 4, 2010 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by GB (Post 15382554)
How do you obtain the arrival form ahead of time? I find this is frustrating to wait to get this at the window as it makes the process longer than necessary.

try this link

a little help

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Dec 5, 2010 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by GB (Post 15382554)

we got the link when we had our letter of authorisation sent. I think you can also get it from the myvietnam visa site where they show examples of the letter of authorisation etc.

MrHalliday Dec 5, 2010 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by bluebird09 (Post 15321789)
Imagine:
What do you do after a 15 hours flight (and after costs over 3000$) when refused to enter just because you wanted to save some 30$?

I doubt you will get on a plane to HCMC without the letter.
JetStar in SIN scrutinized mine carefully.

WanderingGent Dec 5, 2010 10:06 pm

Just returned from Vietnam and used myvietnamvisa.com to get a visa on arrival. It was quick, easy, and I had no problems when entering at SGN. It's legit; the New York Times even had an article on it.

Travelomania Apr 7, 2011 12:51 pm

Vietnam Visa

Assume I need one as a EU passport holder for a (short) visit ?
If yes, is it possible and what would be the fastest and easiest way to obtain the visa before the end of April - either in the US or over in Singapore, where I'll be next ?

TIA !

Yaatri Apr 7, 2011 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Travelomania (Post 16177964)
Assume I need one as a EU passport holder for a (short) visit ?
If yes, is it possible and what would be the fastest and easiest way to obtain the visa before the end of April - either in the US or over in Singapore, where I'll be next ?

TIA !

This is what I found and am plaaning to use.

Vietnam visa
I to plan to go to Vietnam this month.

hencjo Apr 7, 2011 2:21 pm

It varies depending on nationality for EU citizens. We (Swedes) are granted a VISA on arrival, if staying less than 15 days, arriving and leaving by air and have a return ticket (any ticket leaving Vietnam is good).

So, it varies by passport nationality. Look it up!

Daawgon Apr 7, 2011 3:25 pm

If you're arriving in Vietnam by air, the cheapest and quickest way is to buy a VOA Approval Letter online (hundreds of travel agents sell them by email from Vietnam). Hanoi airport does seem to process these VOA's a little faster than at HCMC.

You show your airline the Approval Letter, fly into the country, and get your hard copy visa at the airport - works well. I've used it for all 4 of my trips.

Travelomania Apr 7, 2011 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by hencjo (Post 16178566)
It varies depending on nationality for EU citizens. We (Swedes) are granted a VISA on arrival, if staying less than 15 days, arriving and leaving by air and have a return ticket (any ticket leaving Vietnam is good).

So, it varies by passport nationality. Look it up!

Yes, I guess most nationalities qualify for a Visa on Arrival.
However - and someone please correct me if I've understood it wrong - one needs a pre-authorization to have the Visa issued upon arrival at a select validating airport.
I'm trying to find out the fastest way to have the pre-authorization issued.

Travelomania Apr 7, 2011 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri (Post 16178390)
This is what I found and am plaaning to use.

Vietnam visa
I to plan to go to Vietnam this month.

Thanks - seems to be legit and the easiest, fastest way to go ^ ...

jimbo99 Apr 8, 2011 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Travelomania (Post 16179154)
Yes, I guess most nationalities qualify for a Visa on Arrival.
However - and someone please correct me if I've understood it wrong - one needs a pre-authorization to have the Visa issued upon arrival at a select validating airport.
I'm trying to find out the fastest way to have the pre-authorization issued.

Most nationalities (including most EU) need the authorisation letter in advance. A few don't for 15 day stays - principally some Scandinavian countries, Japan, South Korea, perhaps a few others - BUT CHECK.

If you need the authorisation in advance, I have used these people and came to me recommended.

http://hotels-in-vietnam.com/hotels/...tnam_visa.html

Perhaps search for this link/my name - I think there was quite a lengthy thread on this before.

karenkay Apr 15, 2011 9:35 am

Originally Posted by jimbo99 (Post 16181651)
Most nationalities (including most EU) need the authorisation letter in advance. A few don't for 15 day stays - principally some Scandinavian countries, Japan, South Korea, perhaps a few others - BUT CHECK.

If you need the authorisation in advance, I have used these people and came to me recommended.

http://hotels-in-vietnam.com/hotels/...tnam_visa.html

Perhaps search for this link/my name - I think there was quite a lengthy thread on this before.

thanks, jimbo99, i used this link as well due to your posts in the earlier thread. got my pre-approval letter in hand in just a few days, and we're ready to go.

btw, do i actually need two copies of the application and pictures once i arrive, or just one? it says 'two forms' on the bottom of the application, but the letter i received from the pre-approval folks didn't mention two copies...

jimbo99 Apr 15, 2011 10:29 am

I've only ever seen one form/photo needed and that's all I've needed. In fact they don't even need you to fill in the landing card anymore (unless you've got stuff to declare).

Having said that, I always carry a few spare photos wherever I go. Never know when I might need some kind of permit/permission requiring one.

Normal passport photo size is OK. One version of the form asks for 4cm x 6cm, which is rather large!

karenkay Apr 15, 2011 11:25 am

Originally Posted by jimbo99 (Post 16224120)
I've only ever seen one form/photo needed and that's all I've needed. In fact they don't even need you to fill in the landing card anymore (unless you've got stuff to declare).

Having said that, I always carry a few spare photos wherever I go. Never know when I might need some kind of permit/permission requiring one.

Normal passport photo size is OK. One version of the form asks for 4cm x 6cm, which is rather large!

thanks for the speedy response! yes, am bringing extra photos just in case...you never know. ;)