FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/804256-prior-2022-visa-voa-info-vietnam.html)

8dimsum Oct 4, 2011 3:43 am

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo (Post 17190824)
Best to check with your cruise line for visa details.

Last year (Oct,2010) we visited Halong Bay via RCCL, on a short trip from Hong Kong: the cruiseship held our passports and got the Vietnam stamp per passenger and our on-board account was charged $30/visa. No extra picture was needed. just a ":chop- stamp" in the passport. --A few years earlier when we visited Vietnam on another cruiseline, we had to go to the consulate for our visas.

Do check with the cruiseline re their recommendations. Each year can bring changes.

schoflyer Oct 24, 2011 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by jimbo99 (Post 16181651)
Most nationalities (including most EU) need the authorisation letter in advance. A few don't for 15 day stays - principally some Scandinavian countries, Japan, South Korea, perhaps a few others - BUT CHECK.

If you need the authorisation in advance, I have used these people and came to me recommended.

http://hotels-in-vietnam.com/hotels/...tnam_visa.html

Perhaps search for this link/my name - I think there was quite a lengthy thread on this before.

Ahh the visa conga! Ordered Sat in SFO. Landed in TYO to an email saying they couldn't process my Amex and please use the Verified by Visa link to a different payment engine.

Completed from Friendly Limo bus on iPad late Monday PM. Immediate response to my follow-up email requesting payment confirmation.

I should have the invite email by this evening.

Do they make change for the stamp? I'm just carrying $20s

Thanks, Scho

jimbo99 Oct 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Used to be US$25 for single entry, US$50 for multiple entry.

They will give you change for your US$.

schoflyer Oct 25, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks jimbo99

Hotels in Vietman turned my letter in 24 hours after payment confirmation on Monday. (first business day after Sat application)
I did pay the extra $ for ther urgent service. Total $19.
Does the whole thing seem a bit fly-by-night? yes
Let's see if I can get on the plane and or in country with the fancy PDF attachment.
Cheers,

Scho

schoflyer Oct 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Oh... And I'm the only traveller listed on my letter in case that matters to you.

SaigonCyclo Oct 25, 2011 9:22 pm

You'll have no trouble. I was the only traveler on my letter last time I used this service. Enjoy Vietnam.

schoflyer Oct 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo (Post 17336357)
You'll have no trouble. I was the only traveler on my letter last time I used this service. Enjoy Vietnam.

Hope not, but I wasn't concerned per say.

I had read posts about these approvals being processed in Bulk from one agent and approvals were coming with multiple unrelated traveller info along with yours.

Just thought that someone put off by this may like to know that Hotels in Vietnam seemed a bit less "bulky".

As always YMMV^

-Scho

jimbo99 Oct 27, 2011 9:39 am

Kinda depends what's happening that day. Most places they just seem to get batched up.

When I arranged them for clients, the agent didn't batch them so they were always listed one at a time.

VN doesn't have the same privacy thing that westerners have. What might be an issue for visitors probably doesn't register at all for most Vietnamese.

Braindrain Oct 30, 2011 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by jimbo99 (Post 16181651)
Most nationalities (including most EU) need the authorisation letter in advance. A few don't for 15 day stays - principally some Scandinavian countries, Japan, South Korea, perhaps a few others - BUT CHECK.

If you need the authorisation in advance, I have used these people and came to me recommended.

http://hotels-in-vietnam.com/hotels/...tnam_visa.html

Perhaps search for this link/my name - I think there was quite a lengthy thread on this before.

Just filled out a VOA due to the seeming success of others on this thread. The "summary" page really f'd-up my info but, by clicking on the Back button, all the info was correct.

Hoping it goes through ok. I understand the comment about seeming like a fly-by-night operation.

phat-dave Oct 31, 2011 3:09 am

i just did VOA app via myvietnamvisa but im having a bit of grief tracking down somewhere that'll do 4cm x 6cm photos....

epassportphotos does a 5cm x 4cm or 2" x 2" - wonder if i could get away with those???

any seasoned viet travellers able to comment please?

jimbo99 Oct 31, 2011 12:03 pm

I've seen people use different sizes. Mine are usually 3.5cm x 4.5cm and I don't have a problem.

6cm x 4cm is crazy large and on one version of the form I have if you glued it where they asked you to it would obscure part of the writing.

I wouldn't worry.

schoflyer Nov 1, 2011 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Braindrain (Post 17361866)
Just filled out a VOA due to the seeming success of others on this thread. The "summary" page really f'd-up my info but, by clicking on the Back button, all the info was correct.

Hoping it goes through ok. I understand the comment about seeming like a fly-by-night operation.

Yup. I recall that summary info messed up some dates etc.
It was all good in the end.

Prompt service with that fly-by-night feel.
I printed my letter in color but i some some black and white, my 4x6 size didn't seem to be scrutinized. There were 100 peeps waiting. My wait was about 30 min.
Loved my stay.
-Scho

Braindrain Nov 1, 2011 10:15 pm

Just got my response back from them. Only the names I submitted were on the form. All in all, there was good communication and the experience was positive!

I'm even thinking of booking airport/hotel transfers through them. I don't have to worry about getting into the "wrong" taxi and it's still way cheaper than a hotel transfer.

dsquared37 Nov 3, 2011 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by phat-dave (Post 17364069)
i just did VOA app via myvietnamvisa but im having a bit of grief tracking down somewhere that'll do 4cm x 6cm photos....

epassportphotos does a 5cm x 4cm or 2" x 2" - wonder if i could get away with those???

My experience of traveling in Asia is nobody really cares what size the photo is so long as its visible who you are. The only embassy that's ever given me a hassle over photo size is my very own: The US Embassy.

portlandexpos04 Nov 4, 2011 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by phat-dave (Post 17364069)

US passport photos worked fine for me. Also they only took one of the photos and gave me back the second photo. This was in HCMC.