Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taipei Airport to Chiayi

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2007, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Taipei Airport to Chiayi

I'm heading over to Alishan with a friend a few months down the road. Our flight arrives at TPE around 5 PM, and we're planning to spend the night in Chiayi (250km south) and catching the morning train up the mountain.

So far, I've identified the following options:
1) TPE to THSR Taoyuan by bus, to THSR Chiayi by bullet train, then to TRA Chiayi station by bus
2) TPE to Taipei main station by bus, then to TRA Chiayi station by ordinary train

Option 1 would avoid the loop back into Taipei, but would require an extra transit at the Chiayi end. Option 2 would involve backtracking to Taipei and out, and the train would be slower (~3 hrs vs 1), but it would deposit us right at the center of the city. Which one is better? Can we board southbound ordinary trains at a station closer to the airport?

And oh yes, any hot Alishan tips would be more than welcome. We're currently planning to spend a night at Shermuh ("Godtree") Hotel, but Fengcihu/Ruili also sound interesting.
Old May 23, 2007, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it's been a while since I was an "expert" on Taiwan--it's been 20 years since I lived there. But I go back every couple years. I'm fairly sure you can catch a bus directly from the airport to Chiayi. I know I've taken buses from the Airport to Tainan before. These are generally privately run bus companies, and it may involve a transfer to another bus enroute. It helps if you speak Chinese. Do you?
Old May 23, 2007, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, those private bus companies are quite a kick to ride. Many of them have these huge over-stuffed Lazy-Boy type recliner chairs, one on each side of the aisle, complete with built-in massage and personal TV with VOD. And they're usually cheaper than the train.
Old May 23, 2007, 5:16 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
If you have a lot of luggage then the bus is easier and cheaper. There is a bus pick up at the airport and it will take you to Chiayi.

Both the high speed train and the regular train is a pain if you have lots of luggage.

The fastest way will be by high speed train. About an hour to Chiayi from Taoyuan but is the most expensive. About 1500 TWD one way per person.

The regular train system will take approx 3-4 hours depending on which train you pick. Some stop at every stop and others are express trains.

The bus will take about 4-5 hours. Most convienent and cheapest. If you do not understand Chinese a tad boring. Bus will stop at Taichung for a bathroom break and you can buy snacks if you want.

Personally if I am on a short vacation, I would take the high speed only because time is valuable.

PS- Taiwan is not part of China
Old May 23, 2007, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
PS- Taiwan is not part of China

Depends on who you ask.

I agree with you, btw.
Old May 23, 2007, 11:10 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by jpatokal
I'm heading over to Alishan with a friend a few months down the road. Our flight arrives at TPE around 5 PM, and we're planning to spend the night in Chiayi (250km south) and catching the morning train up the mountain.

So far, I've identified the following options:
1) TPE to THSR Taoyuan by bus, to THSR Chiayi by bullet train, then to TRA Chiayi station by bus
2) TPE to Taipei main station by bus, then to TRA Chiayi station by ordinary train

Option 1 would avoid the loop back into Taipei, but would require an extra transit at the Chiayi end. Option 2 would involve backtracking to Taipei and out, and the train would be slower (~3 hrs vs 1), but it would deposit us right at the center of the city. Which one is better? Can we board southbound ordinary trains at a station closer to the airport?

And oh yes, any hot Alishan tips would be more than welcome. We're currently planning to spend a night at Shermuh ("Godtree") Hotel, but Fengcihu/Ruili also sound interesting.

The fastest way to take shuttle bus from airport to HSR ChungLi station near the airport, then to Jiayi station and from there take a taxi to Alisan station
(ask Station help desk to write destination in Chinese if you do not speak Chinese).

The is also local bus (maybe same company the goes to HSR station) that goes to ChungLi (also spelled Jhongli)(city near the airport)TRA station near the airport, saves some time if you do not need go to Taipei city.
link: http://www.taoyuanairport.gov.tw/CKS.../jhongli_e.jsp

Bus is cheapest, but there maybe no direct bus (they may say so, but sometimes depending on company you transfer somewhere). Again Chinese is helpful as bus will make more than one stop, so it is helpful to explain to the bus driver which bus stop you want.
Old May 24, 2007, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Ta. We won't have much luggage and I don't like any buses, no matter how fancy, so we'll stick with the trains, I think.

After spending way too much time struggling with agonizingly dysfunctional TRA English site -- for example, Chiayi is rendered variously "Chiai" and "Ghia-i" (!?), and any attempts to look up trains from Chungli to Chiayi result in "Order Ticket Fail: Do not stop at this station or invalid inquiry !!" -- I gave up and tried the Chinese side, which promptly directed me to the separate TWTraffic site, which has an English mode too. Turns out there are a few trains that should more or less match our schedule and would get us to Chiayi in 2:46. Would I need to book tickets in advance for a Sat night, because the online booking site just doesn't seem to be cooperating?

And oh: I don't speak or understand Chinese, but I can more or less read and write it, thanks to studying Japanese for a decade and counting
Old May 24, 2007, 9:29 am

So the High Speed Train or the regular train?

Quoting 2+ hours sounds like you want the regular train.

Reservations is for seats. If you don't mind standing that reservations are not necessary. If you want seats then you should try to reserve in the dysfunctional english site.

PS - reasons why the English names are so odd is because depending on the year that the sign was written, different forms of English signs were used.
Wade-Giles format is the most popular but they also use weird formats like MPS II and Tongyong Pinyin.

Today the most common form of romanized pinyin is Hanyu Pinyin. Which China standardized. (which is probably the reason why Taiwan doesn't use it)
Old May 24, 2007, 8:56 pm

Alishan National Park

If you are going to Alishan, then the 4 am sunrise hike is worth it. It is pretty cool to be in pitch black, then see that hot white line on the horizon and then the sun rising. Never forget it - inadequate to describe in words.
Must experience.

I personally love Fenqihu over the other locations. The little town with the historic railroad and the real "China" feel. They have a little hike path that is worth walking. Only about a hour and on a hot day the cool pool of water at the mid way point of the hike is really nice. They will phone and wake you up at 4 am if you want to take the hike to see the sunrise. You will be amazed how many people do this.

And bring a good camera.

I can't comment on Dinghu or Ruili but I hear it is very similar hiking experience. I just like the town of Fenqihu better.
Old May 25, 2007, 10:07 am
Original Poster

So the High Speed Train or the regular train?
That's what we're still trying to decide

Reservations is for seats. If you don't mind standing that reservations are not necessary. If you want seats then you should try to reserve in the dysfunctional english site.
But are they really that full? Sat evening wouldn't seem to be a top time for travel, and I'd imagine the HSR has stolen quite a few pax from the mainline.

PS - reasons why the English names are so odd is because depending on the year that the sign was written, different forms of English signs were used. Wade-Giles format is the most popular but they also use weird formats like MPS II and Tongyong Pinyin.
Yeah, I was vaguely aware of this, although the full force of just how irritating the sheer plethora of names is only struck me when I started seriously researching this trip. Chiayi, Chiai, Jiayi I can still deal with, but "Ghia-i" is just perverse -- I had to match up the station name list with the Chinese side until I realized that it was the same place.
Old May 25, 2007, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by jpatokal
That's what we're still trying to decide

But are they really that full? Sat evening wouldn't seem to be a top time for travel, and I'd imagine the HSR has stolen quite a few pax from the mainline.
On weekends yeah they are pretty full. The regular folks can't afford the HSR that regularly. Also lots of peple live in the city during the week and go home during the weekend. Most work a 6 day week so Saturday is usually busy.
Old May 30, 2007, 1:14 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Well if you can read Chinese, I rely on 嘉義市 for Jaiyi City. Taiwan uses too many different systems to translate into English words as mentioned before. Also keep in mind many Taiwanese speakers will pronounce the city different in Taiwanese vs. Mandarin speakers, so sometimes translated into English is based on Taiwanese words into English.

I am Japanese-American in Taiwan, I can rad most (75%) of the Chinese here, and guess the rest(most of time but not all the time), so if you can read Japanese you should ok, just write it to show people. Also many people speak Japanese in tourist areas, so you could commicate in that if you problem in English.

About reservations, weekends are busy periods, if possible best times to get seats is mid week. The 台灣高速鐵路 has taken some passengers from other forms transport, but I think most from domestic airflights. Maybe 嘉義市 has no more flights, not sure.

[

QUOTE=jpatokal;7798021]That's what we're still trying to decide

Yeah, I was vaguely aware of this, although the full force of just how irritating the sheer plethora of names is only struck me when I started seriously researching this trip. Chiayi, Chiai, Jiayi I can still deal with, but "Ghia-i" is just perverse -- I had to match up the station name list with the Chinese side until I realized that it was the same place. [/QUOTE]
Old Jun 3, 2007, 5:04 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
Alishan National Park

If you are going to Alishan, then the 4 am sunrise hike is worth it. It is pretty cool to be in pitch black, then see that hot white line on the horizon and then the sun rising. Never forget it - inadequate to describe in words.
Must experience.
I agree, did this hike last October and it was brilliant (but freezing!). I was surprised how many people were there. Don't forget your camera (and jacket), I took some amazing pics. Only downside was the locals with their mega-phones broadcasting to the crowd (kind of diminished the quiet beauty of the area).
Old Jun 3, 2007, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by splatnz
I agree, did this hike last October and it was brilliant (but freezing!). I was surprised how many people were there. Don't forget your camera (and jacket), I took some amazing pics. Only downside was the locals with their mega-phones broadcasting to the crowd (kind of diminished the quiet beauty of the area).
LOL - I forgot about that.

The megaphone guy. I thought we were just unlucky.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:53 am
Original Poster

So, we're going to go with the THSR. Our flight lands at 16:40, and there's only one southbound train per hour stopping at THSR Taoyuan. With carry-on luggage only, is catching the 17:52 realistic (meaning we need to catch the 17:20 bus), or should we play safe and get the 18:52? If I understand the site correctly, making a reservation by phone is free, so if I want to be evil I could even reserve both...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.