Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8 hours in KUL - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2007, 3:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fijaircan
Is it possible to use the MH lounge while flying SQ? If not, we will change to MH.
Not AFAIK.

However if you are arriving at KUL on a MH flight in C or F, you are entitled to use MH's Golden Lounge. But be prepared for funny looks when you enter the lounge at 8.30pm if your MH flight arrived at 12.00 noon
Old May 26, 2007, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mario33
Not AFAIK.

However if you are arriving at KUL on a MH flight in C or F, you are entitled to use MH's Golden Lounge. But be prepared for funny looks when you enter the lounge at 8.30pm if your MH flight arrived at 12.00 noon
Thanks again.

I think we will change to the 10:30pm MH flight out of KUL.
Old May 26, 2007, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Chinatown

Thanks again.

I think we will change to the 10:30pm MH flight out of KUL.
and since its Saturday, you can actually include a quick look around Chinatown in your itinerary instead of having drinks at Traders Hotel. My suggestion as follows :

1730 Take a taxi from KLCC to Hotel Malaya http://www.hotelmalaya.com.my/index....34CC72DAB0D5A2 which is located in Chinatown. Set off on foot from Hotel Malaya to "Petaling Street" which is where the stalls are located. Have a look around and get back to Hotel Malaya before 7.45pm.

1945 Depart from Hotel Malaya to KLIA with your prearranged airport limo (or a city taxi)

2045-2100 Arrive at KLIA and check-in for your 2230 MH flight to SIN. (You will have one hour at the F section of the Golden Lounge).
Old May 26, 2007, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
and since its Saturday, you can actually include a quick look around Chinatown in your itinerary instead of having drinks at Traders Hotel. My suggestion as follows :

1730 Take a taxi from KLCC to Hotel Malaya http://www.hotelmalaya.com.my/index....34CC72DAB0D5A2 which is located in Chinatown. Set off on foot from Hotel Malaya to "Petaling Street" which is where the stalls are located. Have a look around and get back to Hotel Malaya before 7.45pm.

1945 Depart from Hotel Malaya to KLIA with your prearranged airport limo (or a city taxi)

2045-2100 Arrive at KLIA and check-in for your 2230 MH flight to SIN. (You will have one hour at the F section of the Golden Lounge).
You must have been reading my mind as I was thinking about Chinatown when I decided to change my flights. Still wasn't sure if it was safe (ie enough time) to include Chinatown in the trip.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 2:11 pm

Is Limo/Taxi really the best way to get to the city at $20?

No cheaper trains that arent a mess to take?
Old Jun 2, 2007, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by dennisbarton
Is Limo/Taxi really the best way to get to the city at $20? No cheaper trains that arent a mess to take?
No, there are no cheaper trains -- you can take the (marginally) slower KLIA Transit instead, but it costs you exactly the same, RM 35.

Again, I prefer the comfort and predictability of the trains over the lumpy KLIA limos and random KL traffic jams. But obviously some disagree, so it's your call in the end...
Old Jun 2, 2007, 8:04 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by jpatokal
.... the lumpy KLIA limos and random KL traffic jams....
and the white-knuckle experience of a tropical thunderstorm which seems to be the key for some local drivers to put their foot down to try and get there quicker
Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:52 am

Programs: CXAM BAEC
The biggest rip-off in Kuala Lumpur is the KLIA Ekspress !

The airport taxis (also known as Airport Limos) has fixed fares. Fare into the city is around MYR70-80 (USD20-23) and MYR60-70 (USD17-20) to the airport.....

For 4 adults the KLIA Express + taxi into/from CBD will cost around MYR300 (USD86); while the Airport Limo option will cost around MYR150 (USD43). As a KL resident, I also find it a lot less hassle taking the Airport Limo since it delivers you from door to door; I just cannot imagine a group of 4 first time visitors to KL with only 8hrs in the city trying to figure out the complicated, inefficient and downright stupid public transport system in KL.

What about if we are a group of 6, would it be possible to have one Limo/Van like the MPV? How much would that cost?
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sohoboy
What about if we are a group of 6, would it be possible to have one Limo/Van like the MPV? How much would that cost?
Actually some of the vehicles that they use for the standard (budget) service includes Renault Enviro MPV which I hate due to the uncomfortable seating. If you fold down the rear facing seat, you could fit up to 5 passengers but I am sure they will try to sell you a more expensive service.

They do have a "family service" which uses Kia Pregio van and I believe the van seat up to 8 passengers. I dont know the fare for this service (never used it before) but my "guess" would be MYR100-120.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 7:34 pm

Actually some of the vehicles that they use for the standard (budget) service includes Renault Enviro MPV which I hate due to the uncomfortable seating. If you fold down the rear facing seat, you could fit up to 5 passengers but I am sure they will try to sell you a more expensive service.

They do have a "family service" which uses Kia Pregio van and I believe the van seat up to 8 passengers. I dont know the fare for this service (never used it before) but my "guess" would be MYR100-120.
Thanks a lot. BTW, we shall stay at Traders Hotel. How is the hotel and any "must go" in KL?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sohoboy
Thanks a lot. BTW, we shall stay at Traders Hotel. How is the hotel and any "must go" in KL?
Traders Hotel is located above the KLCC Convention Centre and across the park from the Petronas Twin Towers and KLCC Suria shopping mall. They have a buggy service that brings you to/from the mall. The hotel is new and very modern; but I thought they tried too hard to be "hip". Its actually much nicer than what I expect a Traders hotel would be. This hotel also has the best view of the Petronas Twin Towers with direct frontage, giving a full "H-shape view" of the towers; so be sure to reserve a high floor twin towers view room.

KL is not quite a tourist city but popular tourist sites are :
1) Chinatown
2) Twin Towers/KLCC
3) Batu Caves
4) KL Tower
5) Bukit Bintang (shopping)
6) Selangor Pewter Centre (seems popular but never been)
Old Jun 14, 2007, 9:26 am

Traders Hotel is located above the KLCC ...
Thanks a lot mario33
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Still wasn't sure if it was safe (ie enough time) to include Chinatown in the trip.
You should be fine if you take taxis everywhere. I wouldn't suggest negotiating the transit system in KL as the lines don't inter-connect as seamlessly as the maps suggest and the tropical heat and humidity is quite stifling especially during midday.

You should note that even on a Saturday, traffic in KL can get quite bad especially if there's a downpour (which would make an outing to Chinatown/Petaling Street quite wet). But the taxis should be able to find their way around jams. Whatever you do, make sure they turn on their meters when you get in a taxi. If they don't, get off immediately.

As previously suggested, Menara KL/KL Tower is a good place to start to get a fantastic view of the city (go by taxi). The view is far better than the view from the Skybridge of the Twin Towers but you still must go to the Twin Towers area for a look-see. The architecture is quite remarkable. If it rains, you could go to Central Market instead if you want to shop for souvenirs under a covered roof, or stay in Suria KLCC at the base of the Twin Towers. Or you can also wander up to the Sky Bar (it's partially covered) for a jaw-dropping view of the Petronas Twin Towers.

An additional suggestion for a place to go at Suria KLCC for a great sampling of Malaysian food is Madam Kwan's. No view, though, but the food quality is higher than that of the food court itself (which is not shabby either). Prices are also higher but not outrageously so. Or pop in next door to Lai Po Heen at the Mandarin Oriental for good Chinese food in refined elegance with prices to match.

Enjoy my hometown! I was just there last week
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueDC
You should be fine if you take taxis everywhere. I wouldn't suggest negotiating the transit system in KL as the lines don't inter-connect as seamlessly as the maps suggest and the tropical heat and humidity is quite stifling especially during midday.

You should note that even on a Saturday, traffic in KL can get quite bad especially if there's a downpour (which would make an outing to Chinatown/Petaling Street quite wet). But the taxis should be able to find their way around jams. Whatever you do, make sure they turn on their meters when you get in a taxi. If they don't, get off immediately.

As previously suggested, Menara KL/KL Tower is a good place to start to get a fantastic view of the city (go by taxi). The view is far better than the view from the Skybridge of the Twin Towers but you still must go to the Twin Towers area for a look-see. The architecture is quite remarkable. If it rains, you could go to Central Market instead if you want to shop for souvenirs under a covered roof, or stay in Suria KLCC at the base of the Twin Towers. Or you can also wander up to the Sky Bar (it's partially covered) for a jaw-dropping view of the Petronas Twin Towers.

An additional suggestion for a place to go at Suria KLCC for a great sampling of Malaysian food is Madam Kwan's. No view, though, but the food quality is higher than that of the food court itself (which is not shabby either). Prices are also higher but not outrageously so. Or pop in next door to Lai Po Heen at the Mandarin Oriental for good Chinese food in refined elegance with prices to match.

Enjoy my hometown! I was just there last week
Thanks for the tips. Really looking forward to this visit next month.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA CO DL
Originally Posted by dennisbarton
Is Limo/Taxi really the best way to get to the city at $20?

No cheaper trains that arent a mess to take?

the express train from the airport is the way to go....into sentral station, then grab the putra trains....efficient and fast....you also get to see some of the real KL. twin towers is good, nice park in the back..top flight eats up on top floor.

putra will also take you to china town/central market....(central market is) historical and great selection of affordable items.

traffic is terrible in KL, i always take the trains. the best time i ever did in a cab or limo from the airport was 65 minutes..the train is 26...and comfy.

batu caves....too far out of town....forget it.
KL tower is no big deal....just another CN or Space Needle ....and the city is hardley ever clear of haze....so you can almost forget the view.

the twin towers has the shopping, central market has the old world flavor, and china town has a couple of nice temples....one chinese....and one indian if i remember right. they are worth a look.

lots to pick from...enjoy your trip..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.