Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Four Hours in Kuala Lumpur: Worth it to go into the city?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:54 am
Original Poster

I will have a four hour layover in KUL next month and I am trying to determine whether it is worth it and feasible to take the KLIA Expres into the city for dinner (time frame is a 5:50P arrival with a 9:45P departure). From what I have read on the these forums and the Expres website, it runs at 15 minute intervals, takes ~ 30 minutes and is very reliable. With that, passing through immigration (only hand luggage), checking back in and (worst case) just missing trains on either end, I could have about two hours in the city.

I have never been to the city, but if were possible, would be interested to take the train into the city as I have never been there. Obviously I will not have time to do anything but have a light meal and walk around. Also, I understand that it will be nightfall in a city that I have no experience in and certainly will not know my way around.

I guess what I am asking is, is there anything around KL Central that I can do to pass a couple of hours. Are there any good local cuisine restaurants in that area? Or, should I just pass the time at the airport?

I have transited through KUL before and while I found it to be a very nice airport, I don't know that I would be able to find interesting things to do for the four hours. I will have access to Star Lounges as I will be traveling on a International F ticket, and my cursory knowledge leads me to believe that that means the Singapore and Thai lounges and I have read that the SQ lounge is not among their best. Incidentally, if I choose to transit into the city, would either of the lounges allow me to leave my carry-on baggage there so I do not have to carry it with?

Of course, all of this assumes that my arrival to KUL is on time, but for the sake of this, I will assume that to be the case.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:02 am

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
4 hours is cutting it close but if you want to chance it, take the airport express to Sentral and switch to the Putra line and head towards KLCC. You will emerge directly below the Petronas Twin Towers. If you haven't seen the Towers before, this would be the #1 thing to do by day or night for any tourist to KL. If you do only one thing in KL, this should be it. After that, you can sample some local cuisine (Malay, Indian, Chinese, etc.) at the food court in the Suria KLCC mall located directly beneath the Petronas Twin Towers. The food is (dirt) cheap and pretty good. If you prefer a restaurant setting (although I doubt you'll have time for it), Madam Kwan's on the top floor of the mall serves pretty good local cuisine Nyonya-style.

You definitely don't want to linger too long in the city. An hour at the most. If immigration lines are long entering Malaysia, I would just turn around and go to the lounge.

Your alternative is to take the airport express to Putrajaya, the new capital city. It's much closer to the airport than KL. Once there, you should be able to cab to the local mall (called Alamanda) and sample local cuisine at the food court. I've never been so I can't vouch for it. There are also some interesting sights in Putrajaya. Ask the cabbie to take you to Dataran Putra (or Putra Square). Might not be much at night though but worth a look for the impressive Islamic architecture.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueDC
4 hours is cutting it close but if you want to chance it, take the airport express to Sentral and switch to the Putra line and head towards KLCC. You will emerge directly below the Petronas Twin Towers. If you haven't seen the Towers before, this would be the #1 thing to do by day or night for any tourist to KL. If you do only one thing in KL, this should be it.
Thanks for your quick response and feedback.

I understand that a lot will depend on whether my arriving flight is on time and how quickly I can move through immigration. If I can be on the Express no later than 6:45, I should be in KL at ~7:15. If I want to be back at the airport no later than 8:45 (which means the 8:15 train), then you are correct, that only gives me about 60 minutes to play with, which really is not much.

If I had an hour, would I even have the time to make the switch to the Putra line to head to KLCC, get off, walk for a bit in time to take the train back the Expres line for the 8:15 train? Would I be walking around for 30 minutes just for the sake of walking around?

Upon further reflection, this may not be such a good idea.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:28 am

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Originally Posted by dsimon
Upon further reflection, this may not be such a good idea.
I don't want to rain on your parade - and you really must see the Twin Towers - but if you had 6 hours, I'd say go for it. 4 hours? I would just relax in the airport. Note that the food in the TG/SQ lounge (I have no experience, someone else could chime in probably) will most likely be better than anything they have to offer at KUL.

You could still chance it if you make the 6:45 (immigration would have to be on your side). You'll have about 30 minutes to walk around KLCC and wolf down a plate of noodles or somethin'. Not sure about getting to KUL an hour before departure but that's your call.

BTW, I think the subway from Sentral to KLCC takes only about 10 mins (5 stops). Not sure about the frequency but since it's rush hour, it should be pretty frequent.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueDC
I don't want to rain on your parade.
No, you are probably correct, and I certainly do not want to risk missing my 9:55PM departure as it is the last one of the evening.

I appreciate your comments.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
The problem is traffic from the Sentral Station to anywhere....You will be cutting it close.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:00 am

From Sentral to KLCC (the base of the towers) takes ~15 minutes on the Putra LRT. But yeah, you would be pretty squeezed for time, and I'm tempted to second the Putrajaya suggestion -- although you'd be better off chartering a taxi for the trip as you need a car to get around, Transit services that stop there only run every 30 min, and the station is poorly located and usually taxiless.

Alternatively, if you choose to kill time in KLIA, there's a comparatively cheap and pretty decent food court on Level 2 (landside).
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpatokal
From Sentral to KLCC (the base of the towers) takes ~15 minutes on the Putra LRT. But yeah, you would be pretty squeezed for time, and I'm tempted to second the Putrajaya suggestion -- although you'd be better off chartering a taxi for the trip as you need a car to get around, Transit services that stop there only run every 30 min, and the station is poorly located and usually taxiless.

Alternatively, if you choose to kill time in KLIA, there's a comparatively cheap and pretty decent food court on Level 2 (landside).
Thanks for your thoughts as well.

After reading through this thread and thinking about it, I am just going to stay at the airport.

Is there any decent place for food airside, or would I necessarily have to clear immigration and go landside to do so?
Old Nov 14, 2005, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsimon
Is there any decent place for food airside, or would I necessarily have to clear immigration and go landside to do so?
If you want to eat like a local, you have to go landside. There is a stall at the Foodcourt on Level 2 that serves very good Roti Canai . Most diners at this foodcourt are airport employees and prices are very reasonable.

Airside, I used to eat at a cafe on the upper level with an artificial jungle setting (cant remember the name ..Rimba ??) Decent local food but rather expensive for local standards, these days I just make do with whatever the airline lounge has to offer.

Last edited by mario33; Nov 14, 2005 at 5:23 pm Reason: Rimba
Old Nov 14, 2005, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mario33
If you want to eat like a local, you have to go landside. There is a stall at the Foodcourt on Level 2 that serves very good Roti Canai . Most diners at this foodcourt are airport employees and prices are very reasonable.
Thank you for the suggestion.

With almost four hours in transit (and presumably boarding pass for connection in hand prior to arrival in KUL), I see no reason not to go airside and get some fresh air outside and walk around inside.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 5:14 am

If you had enough time, I'd suggest that you definitely explore the place. Sadly, you only have four hours, but KLIA is a nice airport to play in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.