Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel location in Bangkok/Chiangmai

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Best hotel location in Bangkok/Chiangmai

Okay, so we've decided to just go to Chiangmai and Bangkok. Now here's the $64 question: the Mrs. is a shopper, no doubt about that. So where is the best area to stay in Bangkok and Chiangmai?

We prefer more the street stall shopping experience as opposed to the western department store mall experience.

As I look on the list of hotels on sites like 2Bangkok.com, it's clear that there are dozens and dozens of hotels to stay at in all price ranges. Too many choices.

I would appreciate a few names of hotels in good locations for shopping and even if I don't stay at those hotels, it would give me a sense of the area.

Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2004, 6:03 am

In Bangkok, stay anywhere near the Skytrain to be able to zip around the city easily. This means Sukhumvit or Silom.

In Chiang Mai, opt for something near the Night Bazaar on the eastern side of town.

You'll need to give us a hint about your budget though if you want recommendations...
Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:24 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Bangkok & Chiang Mai

The previous poster is right on about access to BTS Skytrain, although taxis are cheap. The ground level problem is traffic.

I would consider staying on the Chao Phraya river at the Marriott Resort, Shangra-la or Peninsula each of which have boat service to the BTS. Also almost anywhere in Sukhumvit or Siam Square vacinity is convenient. Upscale shopping exists along much of the BTS 2 routes. I think that the best Bangkok market shopping easily accessable to tourists would be at Chatuchuck (Mo Chit BTS station). This market operates weekends only. Be aware of your surroundings and watch for pick-pockets and purse slashers.

In Chiang Mai, we stay at the Royal Princess. To be honest the rooms are somewhat worn, but the staff is quite good. The reason for staying there is that one walks out the door and is in the night market. There are a number of other hotels in the same area. Tourist Chiang Mai is compact and walkable. The sidewalks are in better shape than those in Bangkok. Chiang Mai shopping is less expensive than Bangkok. There is a long shopping street that requires a car to access. Don't be afraid to rent a car for the day and spend an afternoon going from one large specialized store to another along this stretch of road. Types of products tend to be located according to the village that produces them. A car gives you flexibility and will probably cost less than one of the guided tours in a mini-van. Your wife can go where she wants to shop and not to where the van driver gets a commission. Avis, Budget and North Wheels have locations in downtown. Be sure to pick up the tourist literature. There is a Chiang Mai guide that shows the shopping areas.

Caveat: In Chiang Mai do not stay at the Novotel. It is far from the market and not particularly upscale. The Sheraton (formerly Westin) is IMHO too far from the center of things. Requires a tuk-tuk or taxi ride to most everything.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the insights. As far as rates go, we're looking at around $60-80 a night. I know that there's an incredible number of hotels available andthat's why location is more important than the actual property itself.

I checked and the Royal Princess is $46 a night until the end of October. I think it will go up a few bucks after that but this is more than a great rate.

Would you recommend spending more time in Chiangmai than Bangkok?

Last edited by honmani2; Jun 20, 2004 at 1:14 pm
Old Jun 20, 2004, 1:41 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Don't forget to give priceline a go! There's been a lot of success, including myself, of landing the Shangri-la for $55 or so. I also have the Westin in Sukhumvit lined up in Nov for $61 ($78 all-in).
Old Jun 20, 2004, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Actually, I've been trying for weeks with the 5* by the River (which would mean the Shangri-la) and up to $70 but, so far, no success. Is the Westin a good choice? $61 sounds good, too.

I guess what I'm saying is that as I look at the various websites, there are a lot of hotels in the $70 range. But I guess if you can get the Westin/Shangri-la at that rate, hey, even better, right?
Old Jun 21, 2004, 1:06 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
"Would you recommend spending more time in Chiangmai than Bangkok?"

No, even though Chiang Mai is the second largest city in Thailand, Bangkok has much more to see and do. I would fly into Chiang Mai on a flight between 10a.m and 1p.m. By the time you have transferred to the hotel and checked in, you will have the afternoon to explore the compact center of Chiang Mai. Night market starts at around 6p.m. It is not huge and can be done thoroughly in an hour or two depending on what you are seeking. I would spend the second day doing the shopping tour and revisit the night market and the shops adjacent. If you desire a third day, the Chiang Mai Zoo has 2 pandas on loan. The remainder of the zoo, unfortunately, is pretty decepid and it is very spread out on a hilly site. It sounds like you are not really up to go trekking with a "shop-a-holic" other. Chiang Mai is the center for booking treks. It also is tourist friendly for elephant rides and similar activities. If you are staying at the Royal Princess, Avis has an office at the hotel and the parking is free. The hotel has a van that meets every arriving and departing flight. Be sure to e-mail the hotel to tell them that you want to use the van service and include your arrival flight # You can also return Avis to the airport or Budget near the airport. Despite having been to Chiang Mai 3x in the last year, I prefer to ask the rental agency to deliver us back to the airport. They normally will, other-wise, ride the van.

It would be helpful in terms of advice if you were to post the amount of time you have available. For our interests, 3-4 days in Bangkok and 2 nights in Chiang Mai have been sufficient.

Last edited by opushomes; Jun 21, 2004 at 1:10 am
Old Jun 21, 2004, 1:14 am

I'd add in a visit to Doi Suthep to any Chiang Mai itinerary... it's less than an hour away, a few merciful degrees cooler, and has nice views and an interesting wat.

But generally agreed, Bangkok has a lot more to offer.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 1:16 am
Original Poster

We will be in Thailand a total of 8 nights so I was thinking two nights in Bangkok, two in Chiangmai and then three back in Bangkok. We could stay in Chiangmai for three nights and then the last two nights in Bangkok.

We did want to do the obligatory elephant, river raft, village trek for one day in Chiangmai. So I guess if we arrive around noonish, that would give us time to do the night market excursion that night and then the trek the next day. I'm not clear what you mean by these shopping stops that you can do by renting a car. Is it a series of villages along a stretch of highway that feature certain items like crafts, etc?

My wife is probably interested in clothes (for the grandkids), small knick knacks and the like. We don't buy art, pottery, paintings, furniture, antiques, etc.

Thanks for all the advice!

p.s. What would I need to rent a car? Just an int'l driver's license? Oh, and how much does a car rental go for on a daily basis?
Old Jun 21, 2004, 6:51 am

Programs: BA, LH, BD
why are u going bkk-chiang mai-bkk
i think you are wasting to much time to and from airports/ bangkok..

i would recommend that you stay in bkk at the beginning or end and not go to and from you loose at least 6 hrs travel

also i would recommend going to the golden triangle and in particular staying here http://www.anantara.com/flash/anantara.swf

i payed $90 a night last time and it was faaaaanntastic

the old meridien baan boraan

in bkk- if you can stretch to $200 the peninsula is not to be missed one of the best hotels in the world..

for
late rates in bkk try www.latestays.com or www.wotif.com

Last edited by ajinlondon; Jun 21, 2004 at 6:58 am
Old Jun 21, 2004, 9:16 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
FYI, I bid 5*= $55 riverside, added siam square and raised to $60, then added Sukumvit and went to $61. It was for one night Friday after Thanksgiving and the Westin took it.

I'm still trying to work on low-balling the JW Marriott in Phuket.

I've never stayed at the Westin in BKK. I've always stayed at the Sheraton Grande until this month when I caught wind of the Shang at $55 and then scored it.

You can read up o nthe Westin on the Starwod Board. A lot of people like it. I toured it and it seemed nice but not at the level of the Sheraton Grande across the street.

Good Luck.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 10:15 am

car rental & itin.

Expedia will give you a general idea of car rental costs. That said, 1500 Baht shoud be approximately what it will cost for an Avis or Budget sub-compact. That is a Toyota Soluna or, perhaps, a Honda Civic. Big enough for 2 plus 2 carryons and 2 27" rollaboards in the trunk.

Avis and Budget have Thai Websites and I have booked on both web-sites. North Wheels is the other major (Northern Thailand only) and it also has a web site. All can be found with a google search. An international drivers license is mandatory for Thai rentals. That and a credit card gets you into the car. Credit card generally means a VISA or MasterCard. Expect a 1/2 hour for the paperwork to be done once you show up (or they come to your hotel in Chiang Mai). Remember to drive left and be aware of swarms of scooters.

In terms of your shopping desires, what is located on the shopping road (requiring transportation) is everything that you listed as not interested. I would walk downtown and if you decide to go to Doi Suthup, then rent. Based on your sight-seeing desires, I would forgo the car and just book an excursion with one of the many travel agencies. There is also a tour desk in the Royal Princess lobby. BTW: The coffee shop off the lobby is where breakfast is served. Pretty good buffet including hot items cooked to order. Thailand has the best fruit in Asia (IMO). This coffee shop is also quite good for dinner, if you are in a rush. For a splurge, there is a real Italian restaurant a few blocks away from the hotel. Exit hotel to the right, walk to the traffic light at the major intersection, turn left, go to end of street (entrance to bridge and construction site directly in front of you). Restaurant is on corner to the right. If interested PM me for research on name.

I think your plan of a couple (3 would be better in BKK) and then Chiang Mai with return to BKK works quite well. I note that the poster who suggested otherwise is European. Going back to the USA usually requires an overnight in Bangkok and an early morning departure. There is no way to make a connection CNX-BKK-USA for these flights unless you want to sleep on the airport floor. The train connection does not work either.

Enjoy
Old Jun 21, 2004, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by opushomes

I think your plan of a couple (3 would be better in BKK) and then Chiang Mai with return to BKK works quite well. I note that the poster who suggested otherwise is European. Going back to the USA usually requires an overnight in Bangkok and an early morning departure. There is no way to make a connection CNX-BKK-USA for these flights unless you want to sleep on the airport floor. The train connection does not work either.

Enjoy

i suggest you do your research before posting made up connection times.. the train arrives into don muang from 4:41am i don't beleive there are any US flights till around 7am (apart from the NW one) and if you plan on getting up at 2-3am to be there for the 6am flight then get back on the last flight from cnx and save a nights accom..
Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:52 pm

Red face Trying to be helpful, not start a "p" contest

I stand by my statement that the train connection does not work for return to the U.S. NW, JL, and UA all have NRT departures between 0605-0735. I personally would not risk a departure at Don Muang based upon a train from Chiang Mai arriving on time. Excuse me, but I have done the research just as I have actually traveled to Don Muang Railway station.

Here is the NRT schedule.

Expedia.com is searching for flights. Please wait.

Sort by: Price Shortest flights Departure time Arrival time

$217.00
7:00 am Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 3:10 pm Wed 7-Jul
Duration: 6hr 10mn
United Airlines 838
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

$705.00
6:00 am Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 2:15 pm Wed 7-Jul
Duration: 6hr 15mn
Northwest 28
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

$738.20
8:35 am Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 4:35 pm Wed 7-Jul
Duration: 6hr 0mn
Japan Airlines 708
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

$738.20
10:15 pm Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 6:15 am +1 day Wed 7-Jul
Japan Airlines 718
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

$738.20
All Nippon Airways 7054
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

$738.20
11:20 am Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 7:30 pm Wed 7-Jul
All Nippon Airways 5952
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

$740.00
12:15 am Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 8:00 am Wed 7-Jul
Duration: 5hr 45mn
Air India 302
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

$747.50
7:30 am Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 3:40 pm Wed 7-Jul
Thai Air International 676
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

$749.00
8:20 am Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 8:20 pm Wed 7-Jul
Duration: 10hr 0mn
Cathay Pacific 700 / 500
Connect in Hong Kong (HKG)
Choose this flight

$755.00
8:25 am Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 6:30 pm Wed 7-Jul
Duration: 8hr 5mn
China Airlines 66 / 18
Connect in Taipei (Chiang Kai Shek)
Choose this flight

$755.00
6:50 am Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 6:30 pm Wed 7-Jul
Duration: 9hr 40mn
China Airlines 68 / 18
Connect in Taipei (Chiang Kai Shek)
Choose this flight

$863.20
11:10 pm Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 7:30 am +1 day Wed 7-Jul
Duration: 6hr 20mn
All Nippon Airways 5954
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

Most flights connect thru NRT. Obviously one can fly SQ thru Singapore, nope connection will not work.

Depart BKK late and miss connection possibility at NRT.

Fly thru HKG (probably works), ICN, PEK. BTW, there are no non-stops from BKK to the U.S.

Returning by train and making a departure via Europe works, but most of us in the U.S. seem to fly trans-pacific rather than trans-atlantic. Hmmm?? Could it be fare driven?? Yes, one could fly a later return and inter-line thru Tokyo with a transit thru HNL. I doubt that the poster has booked a mileage run. He is on vacation.

Fly multiple airlines and extend duration of the return. Since this has been researched, I would suggest that you temper your attitude. We each have differing opinions, that is what makes these forums valuable.

Edit to add link to Thai Railways schedule, 12 hour trip departing at 2 p.m.
http://www.chiangmai1.com/chiang_mai...rain_bus.shtml

Well, after much searching, I finally found the Londoner a safe connection from the train. Cathay Pacific departs at 0820 connecting thru HKG to Vancouver.
CX2700 BKK 08:20 HKG 12:15 SMT...S 330 0 02:55 ET
CX888 HKG 14:55 YVR 12:00 SMT...S 34C 0 12:05 ET
CX700 BKK 08:20 HKG 12:15 SMT...S 773 0 02:55 ET
CX888 HKG 14:55 YVR 12:00 SMT...S 34C 0 12:05 ET
CX700 BKK 08:20 HKG 12:15 SMT...S 773 0 02:55 ET
CX838 HKG 16:20 YVR 13:05 SMT...S 744 0 11:45 ET
CX2700 BKK 08:20 HKG 12:15 SMT...S 330 0 02:55

So if our traveler is booked on Cathay, he and his wife could take the train trip and save a night's worth of hotel and two taxi rides. She, of course, will have to sleep in the upper bunk. Wonder if there is a restaurant car?? Suspect that it is vendors wandering through with all sorts of goodies.

Last edited by opushomes; Jun 22, 2004 at 12:16 am Reason: finally found a connection
Old Jun 22, 2004, 4:03 am

um, i suggest you be consistent with your advice-

I stand by my statement that the train connection does not work for return to the U.S. NW, JL, and UA all have NRT departures between 0605-0735. I personally would not risk a departure at Don Muang based upon a train from Chiang Mai arriving on time. Excuse me, but I have done the research just as I have actually traveled to Don Muang Railway station.
Fair enough about poss missing the departure through bad trains...

What has july prices got anything to do with October departures

Here is the NRT schedule.

Expedia.com is searching for flights. Please wait.

Sort by: Price Shortest flights Departure time Arrival time

$217.00
United Airlines 838
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

$705.00
6:00 am Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 2:15 pm Wed 7-Jul
Duration: 6hr 15mn
Northwest 28
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

$738.20
8:35 am Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 4:35 pm Wed 7-Jul
Japan Airlines 708
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

$738.20
10:15 pm Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 6:15 am +1 day Wed 7-Jul
Japan Airlines 718
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

$738.20
All Nippon Airways 7054
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

$738.20
11:20 am Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 7:30 pm Wed 7-Jul
All Nippon Airways 5952
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight

$740.00
12:15 am Depart Bangkok (BKK)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 8:00 am Wed 7-Jul
Duration: 5hr 45mn
Air India 302
Nonstop flight
Choose this flight
nice attitude... based on miss information (july prices) ^
. Hmmm?? Could it be fare driven?? Yes, one could fly a later return and inter-line thru Tokyo with a transit thru HNL. I doubt that the poster has booked a mileage run. He is on vacation.

Fly multiple airlines and extend duration of the return. Since this has been researched, I would suggest that you temper your attitude. We each have differing opinions, that is what makes these forums valuable..

above say you have travelled/ or just looked at thai rail - so why do you not say what your own experience on thai rail has given you, instead of being sarcastic about what you might expect - have you travelled first class? yes you do get at bed/bunk service - even in the worst seats.. (2nd class/ with the dogs) - they even make your beds..
Edit to add link to Thai Railways schedule, 12 hour trip departing at 2 p.m.
http://www.chiangmai1.com/chiang_mai...rain_bus.shtml

So if our traveler is booked on Cathay, he and his wife could take the train trip and save a night's worth of hotel and two taxi rides. She, of course, will have to sleep in the upper bunk. Wonder if there is a restaurant car?? Suspect that it is vendors wandering through with all sorts of goodies.

edited to add - and even your train schedule is wrong ---

12hr trip dep 2pm would arive at 2am... it infact departs at 5 and arrives at 5am

if it was a matter of opinion i would agree - but i have alot of personal exp in thailand and when mis information is given - that to me is worse than anything else - in a country where proper information is invaluable

FYI- the last flight i can find from cnx- bkk arrives at 00:35 so if you were getting a 6am - that would prob involve a 4-5 hr wait. so its up to you...

Last edited by ajinlondon; Jun 22, 2004 at 5:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.