Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Day trips from Singapore to Malaysia?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2001, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Day trips from Singapore to Malaysia?

I am considering staying in Singapore for approximately one week, and spending part of that time doing day trips to Malaysia. I would probably be redeeming hotel points for my stay; also, I specifically want to fly to Singapore (from SFO) as it is a very good "mileage run" -- lots of air miles for very low cost; i.e., 16,888 miles roundtrip for as little as $500 to $600 on United Airlines.

One thing I would definitely want to do would be to fly to Kuala Lumpur for one of the day trips. I see that the regular (advance reservation) price of the round trip flight SIN-KUL is approximately $200. Can it be done cheaper?

Any other suggestions for day trips from Singapore? Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2001, 7:47 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
There are three other ways to get to KUL from SIN. Bus, Train, and drive yourself. The first two are cheaper than flying, but the time spent on the bus or train is not worth it IMO. That leaves driving yourself. The roads in SIN and Malaysia are very well marked and easy to traverse. Driving would also allow you to spend some time along the shoreline of Malaysia.

Make sure to check out Singapore dining in the Flyer Talk dining section, YUM!!!!!

If you wear glasses, Eyewear is extremely cheap in SIN, bring your prescription.

Old Aug 25, 2001, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Sweet Willie:

Thanks for your suggestions.

How long does it take to drive from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur? (I see that the flight is only an hour.)

Kathy
Old Aug 27, 2001, 6:49 pm

From Johor Bahru on the southern tip of Malaysia (20miles from downtown Singapore),
it is 221 Miles to KUL. Total trip if driven straight through should take no more than 4.5 hours (DON'T speed, 110 kilometres max!). this would be on the North-South Highway on the west side of Malaysia.

The roads on the east coast of Malaysia are narrower and older, but they pass through many old palm oil and rubber plantations.

Old Aug 27, 2001, 6:51 pm

From Johor Bahru on the southern tip of Malaysia (20miles from downtown Singapore),
it is 221 Miles to KUL. Total trip if driven straight through should take no more than 4.5 hours (DON'T speed, 110 kilometres max!). this would be on the North-South Highway on the west side of Malaysia.

The roads on the east coast of Malaysia are narrower and older, but they pass through many old palm oil and rubber plantations.

I've heard that a slightly cheaper way to rent a car is to take the ferry from SIN to Johor Bahru and renting a car there. Another option may be driving to and flying back?

Old Aug 28, 2001, 1:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:
One thing I would definitely want to do would be to fly to Kuala Lumpur for one of the day trips. I see that the regular (advance reservation) price of the round trip flight SIN-KUL is approximately $200. Can it be done cheaper?

Any other suggestions for day trips from Singapore? Thanks!
</font>
I recommend flying, if time and comfort are important concerns. It's a nice 1-hour flight from SIN-KUL, then a cab ride into the city (costs something like 75 RM or $20 US). SIN-KUL is a popular shuttle route so you can either go standby and buy a ticket (first-come, first-serve) or contact Malaysia Airlines when you get to Singapore and buy a full-fare ticket (thus guaranteed a seat). Either way, it should be considerably cheaper than booking it with Travelocity beforehand. If you want to go even cheaper, I hear it's slightly less if you fly from Johor Bahru to KUL, although SIN airport is more accessible.

Malaysia is fairly affordable by US standards, so it would be worth an overnight stay in Kuala Lumpur or Penang.
Old Aug 29, 2001, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
On my last and only (so far) trip to SIN we were wanting to go to KL. Since we were still trying to save money we decided to fly out of JB. One can take a taxi to a bus terminal still in SIN and they then take you into Malaysia. Unfortunately our outbound flight was delayed 2-3 hours which would have made the time in KL too short, so we just went back downtown.

Nobbi
Old Sep 2, 2001, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA 1.5MM & RC of an employee, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
My friend and I flew into SIN on our way to the Prentian Islands April 2000. The cheapest option was to fly through KUL to North Eastern Malaysia.

I do not remember the price, but tix out of Johor Baru were much, much cheper than out of SIN and first class was just a few dollars more. Malyasian Airlines has a bus from SIN to Johor Baru that went from airport to airport for a small fee. Also with the first class tix it permits lounge access in both JB and KL.

------------------
The world is a book, and for those who do not travel, read only a page.
-Saint Augustine
Old Sep 3, 2001, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all your helpful replies.

What about Johor Bahru and Melaka (Malacca) in Malaysia? Been there? Interesting day trips from Singapore?

And what about Bintan and Batam (islands of Indonesia)?

Kathy

Old Sep 3, 2001, 5:39 pm

Johor Bahru - pretty easy to get there from Singapore. There's special taxi's and buses, both from the bus station. Take either the taxi or the Express bus (less than $2 US), not the local bus. The biggest hassle (if by bus)is going through Malaysian immigration as you fight the hordes to get over to the "Other" passport line, assuming you go in the morning. The taxi would just be in one of the car lanes. However, IMO, once you're there, there's nothing much to see or do. I'm told there are good places for food, but I don't know where either.

ps. If you return in the afternoon, you'll avoid the crowds at Singapore immigration. Buy the Express bus ticket at Merlin Tower (just keep asking until you get to the right travel agency that sells them) opposite the train station or take the special taxi back.

Malacca - I haven't been there myself. My wife joined a one day tour while I went to work once. The only thing memorable she told me about was being mistaken to be Thai while shopping because she happened to be wearing a Phuket t-shirt, a present she got before leaving the US. So, the Malaysian Chinese would speak Cantonese or Mandarin in front of her, which she understood perfectly, but didn't let on until later.

Batam and Bintam - Singaporeans go to these nearby islands for vacations at the resort hotels. Unless you go to one of the resorts for an overnight stay (check the Straits Times travel agency ads when you're there), I'd suggest joining a one day tour that you can sign up for at your hotel. The other areas of the islands don't seem safe for a Western woman by herself (again IMO), although there's plenty of local color such as visiting an outdoor marketplace.
Old Sep 9, 2001, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Again, thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

I've now purchased the flight, so I'm committed! Also made a reservation at the Hilton on Orchard Road at a bargain rate. (Earning points rather than spending them....)

I will book the day trips once I'm there and have more details on the various options. But keep the suggestions coming!

Kathy

Old Sep 27, 2001, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Given the planned service cuts on United, I don't know whether I'll be able to take this trip or not.

http://www.uatimetable.com/United.pdf

Kathy
Old Sep 30, 2001, 3:22 am

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:
Given the planned service cuts on United, I don't know whether I'll be able to take this trip or not.

http://www.uatimetable.com/United.pdf

Kathy
</font>
Everything happens for a reason. If your flight is cancelled it may be for the best.

Not to be an alarmist, but Malaysia = Muslims. And, while Muslim does not = Terrorist, there are many who are sympathizers and, if going, now may not be the time to get the best reception there.

Either way, may fate guide you well.
Old May 16, 2010, 2:44 pm

Lightbulb Singapore to Kuala Lumpur

Take the Bus or the Train. There are a few executive express buses directly from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. Very comfortable.
Old May 16, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
You posted to 9 year old thread why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.