Community
Wiki Posts
Search

things to buy in Bangkok...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2001, 9:37 am
Original Poster

things to buy in Bangkok...

Any suggestions on Tailors or special, unique purchases while in Bangkok...? I will be there for a few days next week and always like to find the unusual...?
Tks,
MJW
Old Sep 1, 2001, 11:50 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Tailors here are inexpensive and plentiful, but remember, you get what you pay for. Hotel tailors tend to be a bit more expensive, but usually provide marginally better service and quality. No matter where you go, the trick is to pay the minimal amount down when you place your order, and then keep coming back for multiple fittings, only accepting and paying the balance on the final product when you are happy with it.

As far as souvenirs and the like goes, Bangkok has an amazing range. Only your personal taste is necessary for guidance. You will find everything from upscale malls (e.g. World Trade Center and Emporium... both accessible from the Skytrain) with all sorts of high-end Thai handicrafts, Thai silk, and Thai jewelery... to wonderful open-air markets, such as Jatujak Weekend Market (only Sat/Sun, and easily reached by Skytrain: Mor Chit station at the northern end of the Sukhumvit line) which I highly recommend, if you are here over a weekend. You can just wander the myriad of alleyways that make up the market, and will be absolutely amazed at the offerings. If you can't find the unusual there... well, I don't know what to say.

If you are into antiques, probably the best area for legitimate goods is the River City complex.

You will also find thousands of street vendors along Sukhumvit (a heavy concentration between Soi Nana and Soi Asoke). There are also many in the Silom/Suriwongse district, which brackets the infamous Patpong, which itself has an interesting night market. Wander among the stalls, and get a feel for what is being offered. When you decide you'd like to buy something, inquire about the price. Then divide by 2.5 to 3, and make that your offer. After some bargaining, you should pay no more than about 50-60% of the original asking price. Even though the asking price may seem quite inexpensive in its own right, do not pay it. If you do, you will actually insult most vendors who expect you to bargain. This advice also goes for Jatujak, but not the nicer indoor malls and stores, which will have obvious, fixed prices.

BTW, IMO, if you decide you'd like some Thai Silk, you might want to consider a quick trip to Jim Thompson's house. There, you can get an idea about what sort of silk products and styles are offered. My advice, though, is not to buy anything there, as the prices are both fixed and unreasonably high. Better, take your new-found knowledge with you to some of the small shops along Sukhumvit (near Soi 7) that specialize in Jim Thompson type products. Having seen the real merchandise, you can decide which pieces look best. You will probably find a few that are indistinguishable from you've already seen, but at 5-10% the price. Again, bargain.

Have fun and happy shopping.
Old Sep 4, 2001, 5:17 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UAL Traveler:
Tailors here are inexpensive and plentiful, but remember, you get what you pay for. Hotel tailors.....</font>
Thanks for the tips on BKK UAL Traveler.

Any tailors you would recommend?

Also, have you done any shopping in Chaing Mai? I have read that it is cheaper than BKK and a real bargin center.

Old Sep 9, 2001, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
Any tailors you would recommend?</font>
Perry's on Silom near the Sala Daeng skytrain station isn't too bad, but quite expensive.

A number of the expensive hotel tailors have taken to adding VAT if you use a CC. I hate that practice, as it is supposed to be included in the base price, and further they are ripping off the government with their cash sales.

Normally, I wouldn't recommend specific tailors in the tourist area, as they tend to use the same contract shops for fabrication, but recently Manhattan tailors (Sukhumvit Soi 11/2 - which is the little soi about 50m to the east of Soi 11) has expanded and imported some staff from down in Phuket who are very meticulous in their overall supervision. They are also quite inexpensive. BTW, after one fitting, they got it right, which was a first for me.

Other than the night market up in Chiang Mai, I really haven't done much shopping there. However, almost four years ago I got some knock-off Nikes in a local shop for US$10. They have proven to be the best pair I've had in at least 15 years.

[This message has been edited by UAL Traveler (edited 09-09-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.