Grab in Phnom Penh PNH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grab in Phnom Penh PNH

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2023, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, CX Silver, OW Ruby, Travala Smart Diamond
Grab in Phnom Penh PNH

Looking for recent reports about Grab in Phnom Penh.

Does Grab pick up directly from arrivals at PNH?
In the Grab app, can you pay for rides with cards you have saved as payment methods in your account, even if your credit or debit card is not from a bank in Cambodia? E.g. saved payment method is from another SEA country.
Could it be that Grab rides in Cambodia can only be paid for with cash, in that case, what currencies are accepted by the drivers, USD or KHR?
Old Nov 14, 2023, 5:19 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by goodgirl

Could it be that Grab rides in Cambodia can only be paid for with cash, in that case, what currencies are accepted by the drivers, USD or KHR?
Grab App quotes in USD in Cambodia, but I am sure you could pay in either currency if doing cash.
I did not actually use Grab on my recent trip so cannot say if they take CC in Cambodia, however I know that in some places (such as KL), while the App indicates cash or cc, good luck getting anyone to accept your ride request unless you set payment method to cash
Old Nov 14, 2023, 9:43 am
Community Director Emerita

It's been not quite a year but we had to pay cash when we used Grab. Prices were amazing and it was worth having cash in our pocket.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's been not quite a year but we had to pay cash when we used Grab. Prices were amazing and it was worth having cash in our pocket.
What currency did you use?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 1:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Davvidd
What currency did you use?
Local. We used a hotel card to get to our hotel so that was charged to the hotel. BUT the price was at least 10x that of Grab. We hope to get cash from the airport ATM for an upcoming trip. If not, we will ask the GRAB driver to stop at an ATM. Our final option is to pay in US currency which I hate to do; I don't think it is respectful.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:53 am

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...

Does Grab pick up directly from arrivals at PNH?
In the Grab app, can you pay for rides with cards you have saved as payment methods in your account, even if your credit or debit card is not from a bank in Cambodia? E.g. saved payment method is from another SEA country.
You need to go to street side after arrivals, to the indicated Grab pick up point.
Yes, you can use international cards in Grab
The prices are quoted in Grab in Riel, but the exchange rate is 4000 Riel to 1 USD, so quite easy to understand.
Tested 2 weeks ago personally
goodgirl likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, CX Silver, OW Ruby, Travala Smart Diamond
Thanks Kaspars, that's the best case. No cash needed when using Grab with saved credit or debit card.

In the meantime I have found some information that sounds like a good backup plan:

In Cambodia an app called "PassApp" seems to be used for rides as well. To sign up you need a Cambodian number, which is easily available because local SIM cards are extremely cheap, either for free or for just a few USD at the airport or mobile phone carriers shops like "Smart".
Here is an overview of the networks / SIM card options in Cambodia: https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/Cambodia
Old Nov 16, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Thanks Kaspars, that's the best case. No cash needed when using Grab with saved credit or debit card.

In Cambodia an app called "PassApp" seems to be used for rides as well. To sign up you need a Cambodian number, which is easily available because local SIM cards are extremely cheap, either for free or for just a few USD at the airport or mobile phone carriers shops like "Smart".
Here is an overview of the networks / SIM card options in Cambodia: https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/Cambodia
Yes, PassApp is indeed the Cambodian "Grab" - very similar, and probably slightly cheaper. But like you said, it requires Cambodian number, what was not the case before Covid. Not everyone has/wants Cambodian number to activate it.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 8:56 am

and I am not sure if you can link PassApp with international payment card...
Old Nov 25, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver // Miles&Smiles Elite // LATAM Pass Black
Grab works well from PNH, and you get picked up at the dedicated Grab point to the right of arrivals. A few weeks ago, I used Grab to get a Tuk Tuk into the city when I arrived. Then switched to using an app called Tada (available in Singapore, Vietnam & Cambodia) because they have electric Tuk Tuks - smoother, quieter, better for the environment and often had fans to keep you cool. 😁 Can pay by Card or Cash with either, and both charge in KHR. You can sign up to either using an international number.

Grab going to the city

Tada going to the airport
goodgirl likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 2:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In the meantime I have found some information that sounds like a good backup plan:

Wouldn't pulling cash out of an ATM be a better/easier backup plan than getting a local SIM?
Old Nov 26, 2023, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Wouldn't pulling cash out of an ATM be a better/easier backup plan than getting a local SIM?
Sure, my number one choice and first thing I do whenever I land in a new country, unless I still have local currency from a past trip. If you have the right cards that might be reliable.
I had some issues recently and learned that I'm better off not to rely solely on being able to get cash from ATMs for my transfers from the airport. xD
As a result I now plan for the worst case, assuming I won't get any cash and I bring some foreign currency to exchange if all else fails.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Cambodia and neighboring Laos are one of these countries where on a streets you get better exchange rates than via ATM. Also rate depends on denomination -when bringing stack if $5 bills, you rate is 5-10% worse compared to $100.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 1:48 am

And dont forget that in many countries now the local banks ATM withdrawal fee is added to the amount to be withdrawn, in addition to your standard bank fee for ATM withdrawals (if any), so, especially if you withdraw smaller amounts, be ready to pay 10-20% local ATM fee
Old Dec 1, 2023, 4:42 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
USD and Riels are interchangeable. They are very careful about the quality of the US bills they accept. No writing or rips allowed. And small denominations are best.

This doesn't answer your Grab question but may help if you decide to go down the cash path.

Once in town we took Tuk Tuks almost exclusively and they are cash. We only took a cab to go to the Killing Fields. (Well worth it by the way.)

I tried Passapp. In my experience it was cheaper than Grab but with less availability. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.