Search

Same plane turnaround at CGK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Same plane turnaround at CGK

Just wondering if a same-flight turnaround at CGK is possible. KL flight arriving from and returning to KUL.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Jakarta is one place I would never try this. Although they have transit signs in the arrival passageway, I have never seen
a manned transit counter, nor seen anyone attempt a transit.I would assume you would have to pass entry and exit immigration
having obtained an e-VOA before arrival. I would strongly advise against this. If you need to do something like that, why not SIN?
Old Nov 7, 2023, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Jakarta is one place I would never try this. Although they have transit signs in the arrival passageway, I have never seen
a manned transit counter, nor seen anyone attempt a transit.I would assume you would have to pass entry and exit immigration
having obtained an e-VOA before arrival. I would strongly advise against this. If you need to do something like that, why not SIN?
I second that, although i have managed an airside transfer within T3, but that entailed getting the transfer desk agents interested (they keep a low profile behind those desks) and I was in possession of a boarding card (MH to KL) with a couple of hours to spare.

It's probably doable If you are equipped with a boarding card, but time isn't on your side: the hike to the immigration/transfer area can be long, and procedures can be slow - and of course a return-to-origin isn't a transfer (though I'm not sure that's a technicality that would worry the transfer/immigration folk).

All in all it's probably best to bite the bullet and buy a visa, stay overnight: there are a bunch of low cost airport hotels.

You won't have time to do the turnround if you have to go through immigration then check-in.

In theory, at least as I understand it, everyone should be able to make an airside transfer within T3. The problem is (most) airlines have become sticky about examining travel documents at CGK check-in, and seem unwilling to hand the responsibility over to the transfer desk or carry out checks at the gate. Maybe you can get KLM to issue a boarding card for the return flight when you check in at (BKK?).
Old Nov 7, 2023, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Thanks all. I guess CGK doesn't have the common airside for departing and arriiving pax as, say, KUL and AMS.

Looking at doing a KUL-CGK-KUL (will be in KUL anyway) for the 30 XP for less than buying them (€10/XP) for environmental offsets + get miles and huisjes to boot. KL SIN-DPS runs about 2.5x as much for the same XP (and only slightly more miles) and looks like KQ BKK-CAN runs about the same (though flex on the latter and lite on the former). Has to be on ST airlines and there are not many 5th freedoms around Asia.

Did a KL BKK-TPE-BKK turnaround a few years ago and that was easy. Just wasn't sure about CGK.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Nov 7, 2023 at 12:28 pm
Old Nov 8, 2023, 11:30 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
I've done a transfer as well earlier this year from SQ to NH...but as stated above, it's not at all straightforward nor quick (which I was prepared for). I would definitely avoid a same plane turn. Wrote about some of it here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35256535-post1041.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.