Wiki Posts
Search

Intl to Dom transfers in SGN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2023, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Intl to Dom transfers in SGN

How much time should I allot between arrival time from an international flight, connecting to a domestic flight in SGN? And vv?

Two separate tickets that I am booking.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 11:56 pm

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Originally Posted by hikouki
How much time should I allot between arrival time from an international flight, connecting to a domestic flight in SGN? And vv?

Two separate tickets that I am booking.
That really depends on the risk of flight delays and the time for visa/passport control. I would say minimum 3 hours to be on the safe side
Old Nov 6, 2023, 1:59 am

Just a 5 minute walk from Intl to Dom terminal (Arrive at Dom terminal at around 2 hours ahead of departure time is good).
Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Immigration at SGN

Immigration as SGN is a nightmare horrendous experience and could easily take 2 hours.

While the physical transfer in terms of distance is small, the process is awful.

Done it 5x this year, unfortunately!
Old Nov 7, 2023, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SGN Immigration is one of the worst in Asia. Can take 2-3 hours if you come in at the wrong time. I'd budget 4 hours for the INTL-DOM transfer. 3 hours going the other way.

It really gives people a bad image coming into a country that supposedly wants to increase tourism.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by kaspars
That really depends on the risk of flight delays and the time for visa/passport control. I would say minimum 3 hours to be on the safe side
Originally Posted by Cris L
Immigration as SGN is a nightmare horrendous experience and could easily take 2 hours.

While the physical transfer in terms of distance is small, the process is awful.

Done it 5x this year, unfortunately!
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
SGN Immigration is one of the worst in Asia. Can take 2-3 hours if you come in at the wrong time. I'd budget 4 hours for the INTL-DOM transfer. 3 hours going the other way.

It really gives people a bad image coming into a country that supposedly wants to increase tourism.
Apparently, VN does sell tickets combining their international codeshare partners' and their own domestic flights.

If ticketed on the same ticket, will a VN agent facilitate my transfer from my international arrival gate to connect to the domestic flight?
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:29 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by hikouki
will a VN agent facilitate my transfer from my international arrival gate to connect to the domestic flight?
If you a communist party boss - probably...
plunet likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
So, if arriving in SGN is such a mess, would someone visiting VN for a tour best land in HAN and depart from SGN?
Old Nov 11, 2023, 3:12 pm

Twice now I have come into SGN with the immigration hall packed and both times it took no longer than 45 mins to clear immigration.
after you collect your luggage and clear customs and you are on connecting domestic ticket with VN airlines you can go right before you go outside and they have staff there that will check you off their list for connections then you can proceed to the domestic terminal.

​​​​​
Old Nov 13, 2023, 10:07 pm

Data point from yesterday
my wife arrived to SGN on Vietnam Airlines, bus gate, immigration hall was packed and she was through immi within 60 mins from landing.
As she had a connecting domestic ticket, she deposited her luggage to Vietnam Airlines staff just past customs and walked directly to the domestic terminal, cleared security and was at her gate 85 minutes after landing.
uanj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.