Search

Taipei EasyCard

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2023, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Taipei EasyCard

Can this card be used in Kaohsiung’s transit system? If not, is there an island wide card that exist?

Can any of these cars be reloaded with a credit card or only cash?

Is there a mobile card that can be added to iOS or Android?
Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:49 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Good question, as I recently looked into this myself.

My understanding is the EasyCard does NOT work with Apple Wallet due to various technical and commercial reasons (the best article I found is here, in Chinese: https://www.bnext.com.tw/article/721...percard-2022q4)

As for recharging, I've only used cash, but my suggestion is to try at 7-11 and use a credit card.

And lastly I believe the card will work in Kaohsiung. I've never tried myself, but I've seen Youtube videos.
lsquare and Cryofern like this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
Can this card be used in Kaohsiung’s transit system? If not, is there an island wide card that exist?

Yes, EasyCard works in Kaohsiung. Both EasyCard and iPass work literally nationwide.

I have credit cards with EasyCard or iPass functions attached, those could be reloaded with said credit card.

For standalone EasyCards, I think you can only reload them with cash. MRT stations have reloading machines and they are a great way to dispose off your coins (into EasyCard).

Not too sure about mobile cards.

Originally Posted by YariGuy
As for recharging, I've only used cash, but my suggestion is to try at 7-11 and use a credit card.
Convenient stores can recharge your card with cash, but probably not with a credit card.
lsquare and gudugan like this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 2:19 pm

There are multiple ways to achieve similar things if you're a local. There are NFC supported sim cards that by which people can use their cell phone as their EasyCard. Through Easy Pay app people can tap their SuperCard, an advanced type of EasyCard, to their NFC-supported phone to fund the card with their bank account. You can also generate a transportation QR code on your phone to take bus, TPE MRT and Kaohsiung MRT using Easy Pay app. But unfortunately it requires Taiwan ID number or resident certificate number to register Easy Pay app.

I can confirm that convenient stores only accept cash to fund a EasyCard. They do not accept funding with credit card or Apple Pay because I asked and they said no They take Apple Pay for normal in-store purchase tho. If you plan to keep the card as a souvenir, you can stop by a convenient store first to check out special designed EasyCards. There are even key chain types of EasyCard but they cost more. It's called 3D EasyCard. Most MRT stations does not offer any EasyCards with special designs or the 3D ones.

I got my EasyCard with beautiful illustration of Taipei 101, fireworks and street food at a convenient store for $150 ntd. a few years ago and I like it very much! To refund a EasyCard you actually lose the money you pay for the empty card, that's at least $100 ntd for adult. So if carefully planned you won't have too much left in the card by the end of your trip, and so many vendors take EasyCard so it's really easy to spend the remaining amount and keep the card.

3D EasyCards:
google.com/search?q=%E9%80%A0%E5%9E%8B%E6%82%A0%E9%81%8A%E5%8 D%A1+&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiFmsvTrpP9AhUoIDQIHepcB_ sQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=%E9%80%A0%E5%9E%8B%E6%82%A0%E9%81%8A %E5%8D%A1+&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIFCAAQgAQyBggAEAcQHjIH CAAQgAQQGDIHCAAQgAQQGDIHCAAQgAQQGDIHCAAQgAQQGDIHCA AQgAQQGDIHCAAQgAQQGDIGCAAQBRAeMgYIABAFEB5QrwtY6CRg sChoAHAAeACAAUGIAaMDkgEBOZgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW 1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=N6HqY8WiBajA0PEP6rmd2A8&bih= 961&biw=1856
Old Feb 14, 2023, 1:20 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Actually it looks like you can attach a credit card to your EasyCard and charge it that way. HOWEVER, only cards issued by Taiwan banks work:

https://easywallet.easycard.com.tw/t...cls3=142000000
lsquare and jysim like this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:12 am

7-11 only accepts local credit cards from certain issuers. All Hi-Life and some newer FamilyMarts accept foreign credit cards. But as many has pointed out, none of them will let you top-up an EasyCard with a credit card.

Actually it looks like you can attach a credit card to your EasyCard and charge it that way. HOWEVER, only cards issued by Taiwan banks work:

https://easywallet.easycard.com.tw/t...cls3=142000000
EasyWallet (or is it called Easy Pay?) is actually different that EasyCard. EasyWalet is a payment app, which the merchant scans a QR code (or NFC chip on the phone?) and then EasyWallet charges either your linked card or bank account.

The only ways to top-up EasyCards with a credit card is by getting a credit credit that has EasyCard built-in. But it’s just for convenience and you don’t get points for top-up charges.

It might be a bit late for OP, but Kaohsiung MRT now accepts NFC credit card payment at the entry gates.
lsquare and ProleOnParole like this.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; Feb 24, 2023 at 2:18 am
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
7-11 only accepts local credit cards from certain issuers. All Hi-Life and some newer FamilyMarts accept foreign credit cards. But as many has pointed out, none of them will let you top-up an EasyCard with a credit card.

EasyWallet (or is it called Easy Pay?) is actually different that EasyCard. EasyWalet is a payment app, which the merchant scans a QR code (or NFC chip on the phone?) and then EasyWallet charges either your linked card or bank account.

The only ways to top-up EasyCards with a credit card is by getting a credit credit that has EasyCard built-in. But it’s just for convenience and you don’t get points for top-up charges.

It might be a bit late for OP, but Kaohsiung MRT now accepts NFC credit card payment at the entry gates.
It's been a while since I was in Taiwan, but I'm pretty sure I was able to use my foreign credit cards in 7/11 and Family Mart to purchase food and not top up my EasyCard.

I don't get why the TW-issued credit cards with EasyCard don't earn any points.

Is it similar to Singapore and London where I can tap my CSR to enter? Any surcharge? Is there any talk of Taipei MRT allowing this in the future?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:43 am

It's been a while since I was in Taiwan, but I'm pretty sure I was able to use my foreign credit cards in 7/11 and Family Mart to purchase food and not top up my EasyCard.

I don't get why the TW-issued credit cards with EasyCard don't earn any points.

Is it similar to Singapore and London where I can tap my CSR to enter? Any surcharge? Is there any talk of Taipei MRT allowing this in the future?
Some FamilyMarts accept foreign credit cards, but I’d say at least 1/3 don’t. I’m not aware of any 7-11 that accepts foreign credit cards.

Some credit cards offered points when auto reloading EasyCards, but usually as a promotion and not the norm.

I haven’t taken metro in London or Singapore for a while, but yes you tap your credit card at entry and exit gates. There’s no surcharge.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; Feb 24, 2023 at 5:40 am
Old Feb 24, 2023, 5:43 am

I am a local Taiwanese from Taipei. Yes, you can use EasyCard in Kaohsiung and around Taiwan.

You can only reload it with cash.

There is no mobile card.

Hope you have a nice trip in Taiwan!
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 11:38 am

Just a friendly reminder: you can tie eligible credit cards to Easy Pay app to use as a payment method with participating merchants, but when funding an EasyCard with the app, it won't let you do it with the existing credits cards. Confusing and inconvinient, I know.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 2:57 pm

You can use either card island-wide but last I checked there were some extra benefits limited to EasyCard in Taipei and iPass in Kaohsiung respectively. For this reason, staying longer or visiting often, it might be worth it to have both. Otherwise get the one for the place you'll spend the most of your time in Taiwan (i.e. EasyCard for Taipei).

Top-ups are cash only. Fastest way is to use self-service machines (such as at any MRT station in Taipei). You can also top up at any convenience store.

On a general note, sometimes in Taiwan when you see credit cards accepted, this applies to local (Taiwan-issued) cards only, and not even all of them. Best to always have some cash on you. Exchanging foreign currency can also be cumbersome (done at bank branches with relatively short opening hours, and have to fill out some forms). ATMs are ubiquituous though and generally work with all foreign cards.

There are smaller-sized EasyCards available as souvenirs, such as these:

Souvenir EasyCard (smaller)

Maybe this helps.
YariGuy, lsquare, Seriko and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:46 pm

Can I buy an EasyCard at the airport (arrivals hall) with a credit card, or does this also have to be cash? Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stmaus
Can I buy an EasyCard at the airport (arrivals hall) with a credit card, or does this also have to be cash? Thanks.
Pre-COVID, it was cash. I've seen no indication anything has changed.
stmaus likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:06 am

Pre-COVID, it was cash. I've seen no indication anything has changed.
Some OTAs do sell EasyCards, either just the card for TWD 100, or with a few hundreds TWD preloaded, for pickup at TPE. I assume they just eat the credit card transaction fees.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Some OTAs do sell EasyCards, either just the card for TWD 100, or with a few hundreds TWD preloaded, for pickup at TPE. I assume they just eat the credit card transaction fees.
If it's 1:1, that's a pretty good deal! Easy 3x UR with CSR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.