Wiki Posts
Search

El Nido vs Boracay vs ???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2023, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
El Nido vs Boracay vs ???

Hey all, family of 4 (2 adults, 6 and 2 year old), going to Philippines and SE Asia. Trying to figure out which island to go to. We would love a nice resort, all inclusive but not necessarily. Both island look amazing, is it worth going to both or picking one, if so which one? We are adventurous, but will be hard with the 2 year old, so swimming, boats, and relaxation is the goal.

TIA
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
My family that lives in Manila prefer el Nido to Boracay. I’ve also been to Boracay (pre-covid) and had a fine time, but largely stayed on the resort.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
We took a family vacation to Boracay some years before the pandemic and enjoyed it. It’s a pretty small place and easy to get around. We mostly spent time on the beaches and I think we did a boat trip or two. Overall it was a great stay.

The only negative I remember is the part about getting there and back. There is no airport on Boracay itself so you have to either fly to Caticlan or Kalibo. From Kalibo, it’s a good 45-50 minute ride as I remember, and then you have to take a ferry across from Caticlan. Caticlan airport is easier but still requires getting to the ferry terminal. And once you get off the ferry at the island, there’s another 15-20 minute ride to most hotels. Our kids were older but were still pretty tired after the journey from/to Manila. If El Nido is easier to get to, I’d definitely factor that in given you kiddos ages.
TravelDoorsOut likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 11:43 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by samplat
We took a family vacation to Boracay some years before the pandemic and enjoyed it. It’s a pretty small place and easy to get around. We mostly spent time on the beaches and I think we did a boat trip or two. Overall it was a great stay.

The only negative I remember is the part about getting there and back. There is no airport on Boracay itself so you have to either fly to Caticlan or Kalibo. From Kalibo, it’s a good 45-50 minute ride as I remember, and then you have to take a ferry across from Caticlan. Caticlan airport is easier but still requires getting to the ferry terminal. And once you get off the ferry at the island, there’s another 15-20 minute ride to most hotels. Our kids were older but were still pretty tired after the journey from/to Manila. If El Nido is easier to get to, I’d definitely factor that in given you kiddos ages.
several hotels (eg Hennan) offer there own transfer service which is easier
Old Nov 6, 2023, 6:52 pm

That's a tough choice! Both look absolutely beautiful. A couple thoughts based on the other responses:

It does sound like El Nido might be a bit easier to navigate with little ones since Boracay requires that ferry ride each way, which could be tiring for a 2-year-old. Being able to just relax on the beach without too much traveling around would probably be ideal.

Did you have any particular resorts in mind for either location? Having an all-inclusive option that takes care of meals could make things less stressful too. Off the top of my head, I think El Nido maybe has fewer large resorts than Boracay, so availability could be a factor too.

Since relaxing and swimming are the main priorities, have you considered looking at resorts on other islands that may have a bit calmer, smaller vibe than Boracay? Somewhere like Coron or Apo might still give you the gorgeous scenery without quite as many crowds.
TravelDoorsOut and Davvidd like this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by ElaineWChatman
That's a tough choice! Both look absolutely beautiful. A couple thoughts based on the other responses:

It does sound like El Nido might be a bit easier to navigate with little ones since Boracay requires that ferry ride each way, which could be tiring for a 2-year-old. Being able to just relax on the beach without too much traveling around would probably be ideal.

Did you have any particular resorts in mind for either location? Having an all-inclusive option that takes care of meals could make things less stressful too. Off the top of my head, I think El Nido maybe has fewer large resorts than Boracay, so availability could be a factor too.

Since relaxing and swimming are the main priorities, have you considered looking at resorts on other islands that may have a bit calmer, smaller vibe than Boracay? Somewhere like Coron or Apo might still give you the gorgeous scenery without quite as many crowds.
dont overplay the ferry - its a fairly easy process '- you can also take your time as there is no rush
Davvidd likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Boracay is much better unless you want to stay in a big resort and get struck inside there. If so El Nido. Boracay has a lot more activities for everyone and of course the beach is better overall around.
That said some fantastic local bands in El Nido generally. Better than Boracay as they are all local and much more friendly being a much smaller place.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 7:32 pm

This is certainly a difficult choice to make. El Nido would be my choice if relaxation is the primary goal. However, the many activities available in Boracay could be very appealing for the adults in the group. If you're considering expanding your destination options, I'd suggest looking into Cebu. You really can't go wrong with any of these destinations, no matter where you decide to visit.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 6:59 am

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Originally Posted by thomasfly
This is certainly a difficult choice to make. El Nido would be my choice if relaxation is the primary goal. However, the many activities available in Boracay could be very appealing for the adults in the group. If you're considering expanding your destination options, I'd suggest looking into Cebu. You really can't go wrong with any of these destinations, no matter where you decide to visit.
I was not very much impressed by Cebu. But if el Nido or Boracay are not considered either, what would be next best alternative?
Old Dec 6, 2023, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by kaspars
I was not very much impressed by Cebu. But if el Nido or Boracay are not considered either, what would be next best alternative?
It is a different situation. The beaches are better In Boracay and hence swimming is much better. A bigger crowd on the beach always. EL Nido in the evening is almost dead.
Bear in mind that getting to El Nido is not that easy either. Either you have to fly the private airline of Airswift on an. ATR 72 or a 4 hour drive at least to Puerto Princessa. The Airsw2ift is very unreliable and they have only 2 aircraft and no one else operate into that private aiport.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Originally Posted by Davvidd
It is a different situation. The beaches are better In Boracay and hence swimming is much better. A bigger crowd on the beach always. EL Nido in the evening is almost dead.
Bear in mind that getting to El Nido is not that easy either. Either you have to fly the private airline of Airswift on an. ATR 72 or a 4 hour drive at least to Puerto Princessa. The Airsw2ift is very unreliable and they have only 2 aircraft and no one else operate into that private aiport.
is Puerto Princessa a good alternative maybe? To skip el Nido, and stay around PP there... Nice beaches close by?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 7:55 am

is Puerto Princessa a good alternative maybe? To skip el Nido, and stay around PP there... Nice beaches close by?
No I would not choose PP over El Nido. El Nido has a life of its own. If you like the laid back bars and live music then El Nido is even better than Boracay. It is that it is a very small place compared to Boracay.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Davvidd
No I would not choose PP over El Nido. El Nido has a life of its own. If you like the laid back bars and live music then El Nido is even better than Boracay. It is that it is a very small place compared to Boracay.
I am just considering to be there for max 3 days. and to go/return 4 hours each way to el Nido seems too much... so I was thinking to stay in PP. I get the vibe is different... but are there nice beaches in or around PP? Any recommendations?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 6:50 pm

I am just considering to be there for max 3 days. and to go/return 4 hours each way to el Nido seems too much... so I was thinking to stay in PP. I get the vibe is different... but are there nice beaches in or around PP? Any recommendations?
They have good beaches south of PP. It is worth visiting a signature restaurant too in PP. (I forgot the name but I will find out) Yes completely different vibe. But you can fly to El Nido from MNL but it is fairly expensive on Air Swift and if you have any connection to make in MNL in the same day I would not trust it.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 7:56 pm

Since you'll only have 3 days, staying in or near Puerto Princesa does make sense to avoid the long travel to El Nido. Davvidd mentioned some nice beaches south of PP - have you looked into beaches like Cowrie Island or Sabang? They might be good options if you want to relax on the sand but don't want huge crowds. Also, any thoughts on if you want budget, mid-range or luxury accommodations? That could help folks with resort recommendations for the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.