Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

How is the Weather in This Part of the World in January?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2023, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

How are the weather in these places in this part of the world in January?

El Nido and Coron in the Philippines
Singapore
Kuala Lumpur
Bali

I hope that the weather is good in these places as I hope the weather is not so hot and humid. Also, hoping that the rain isn't so bad or so frequent.

If January isn't the best time to go to any of these places, please provide recommendations of better months to visit. Thanks.

Especially hope to hear from people who have been to all 4 of these places. Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2023, 10:46 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by costaricageorge
I hope that the weather is good in these places as I hope the weather is not so hot and humid.
Also, hoping that the rain isn't so bad or so frequent.
You need to do a little bit more homework. All the parts are in the tropics. Singapore is 1 degree north of the Equator.

That means 90-95F during the day, 82F at night with 75-80% of humidity for 365 days a year. It can rain at any time of the day/night without any advance warning and rain can be torrential - my personal record is to get completely soaked (TMI - including socks and underwear) within five seconds - ofbeing caught in such a rain.

KL and Bali are similar and can be worse in certain terms - it can feel hotter there.
Jaytraveller and brenc3 like this.

Last edited by invisible; Oct 14, 2023 at 10:31 pm
Old Oct 14, 2023, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC
And in terms of rain, whilst it can rain literally any day, and often does, there are monsoon seasons when it rains more frequently and can be more prolonged and sometimes relentless. The monsoon season varies location to location, Singapore is typically December to March, Kuala Lumpur is October to January, and Bali is November to April. And with climate change YMMV.
Jaytraveller likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 3:10 pm

Darn! We will be in Singapore in second week of February. I hope and pray it does not rain when we are out on the road.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 3:14 pm

What's a weather in Angkor Wat in 3rd week of February? I guess, hot and humid. Are evenings pleasant? Similarly, how is weather in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai at the end of February? Same story of hot and humid mess??
Old Oct 14, 2023, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jaytraveller
Darn! We will be in Singapore in second week of February. I hope and pray it does not rain when we are out on the road.
You probably want to explain what is your definition 'on the road' applied to Singapore. Because you need to seriously look hard to find a place in Singapore without a building or something that can serve as a shelter.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 10:27 pm

What's a weather in Angkor Wat in 3rd week of February?
February is dry season
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siem_Reap#Climate
Jaytraveller likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 12:44 pm

I am sorry if I confused you with my 'on the road' query. The usage of those words loosely means somewhat akin to 'on the trip'. Specially, what I mean by 'on the road' in Singapore is about the situation when we are out sightseeing in park or in an open area crowded by people then what to do while it pours. The common sense of course, is to carry an umbrella if rain is in forecast for a given day to avoid mad rush to seek shelter or building with masses. My expression was more of a loud wishful thinking. Take care.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 12:49 pm

Great! Dry season with bearable humidity. No problem! Thank you so much for providing the link that details numerous helpful information including all year weather!
Old Oct 15, 2023, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
Great! Dry season with bearable humidity. No problem! Thank you so much for providing the link that details numerous helpful information including all year weather!
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:08 am

Specially, what I mean by 'on the road' in Singapore is about the situation when we are out sightseeing in park or in an open area crowded by people then what to do while it pours.
Well, a couple of things - first you can check the weather forecast on your smartphone hour by hour, I found the iPhone weather app to be fairly accurate. Then, as mentioned, unless you are in Pulau Ubin, McRitchie, or Sungei Bulong, getting shelter by running into a nearby building is quite easy. Carrying an umbrella with you can help you to get to the nearest building with only your feet wet but it won't help you to stay dry if you are in the rain for more than a couple of min. And finally - if you have not experienced tropical rain yet, consider this as a fun opportunity.

For all Singapore-related questions you can ask in the Singapore forum, there are plenty of people who can help.

signed - former Singapore resident for >10 years.
Jaytraveller likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 1:52 pm

Thank you for clarification about rain and potential downpours that drench a person in few minutes even under umbrella! We are not that fond of adventures to willingly get drenched and hence will pay good heed to weather forecast. I must look up Singapore forum to learn more about various aspects that are relevant to our planned trip. Thank you for this suggestion!
Old Dec 6, 2023, 7:36 pm

The weather in El Nido and Coron in January is fairly similar, though Coron tends to be a bit drier.

In El Nido, the climate in January is generally warm and wet. The average temperature is around 83°F with partly sunny skies. There is a moderate chance of rain most days, ranging from 25% for light rains to 10% for heavier downpours.

Coron sees better conditions during the same period. While temperatures also average 83°F, skies are sunnier. Chances of rain are lower too, with around 10% odds of moderate rains and only a 5% risk of heavy precipitation. Overall, the climate in Coron is quite pleasant in January compared to El Nido's wetter weather during this month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.