Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sri Lanka visa warning

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Sri Lanka visa warning

Going on a cruise in 7 weeks that starts in India and ends in Colombo. Will arrive 7 AM and fly out that night at 3AM (Emirates Dubai to LAX). Found out I need a Sri Lanka visa and went on the site but was refused because my passport expires in 2 months and they want a 6 month passport duration. I called the consulat and he said no 6 month valid passport- no visa. I explained I arrive by boat and leave about 18 hours later but he still said no luck. I asked him what would happpen to me at customs if I told my story and he said he "didn't know" , What do I do if I chance it and they refuse- go back to the boat and wait for the next cruise?
Now I have to get an expidited renewal and hope it arrives on time.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 11:34 pm

Programs: BAEC
So many countries impose a requirement of six months validity in a passport so I am not sure why you are surprised when you are rejected for a visa when the passport does not comply with the stated requirements for Sri Lanka. Just get your passport replaced and move on. Most frequent travellers would be looking to get their passports replaced between 10 and 6 months before expiry.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by plunet
Most frequent travellers would be looking to get their passports replaced between 10 and 6 months before expiry.

Do any other passport issuing authorities adopt the passport renewal procedure previously followed by the UK?

Here (and then) the new document was credited with lost months from the old one. Sadly, that helpfulness was abandoned with Brexit.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
If you are leaving in 7 weeks, and the passport expires in 2 months, I would think you need a new passport anyway.
Seven weeks should not require expedited service in most countries.
Are you from India? You would need a visa for there as well.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, so I don't see what the problem is. Apply for a new passport, request expedited service, get your visa.

Problem [probably] solved, barring any unusual hiccups.

I just renewed my passport in August by mail, and I had it in two weeks. Now, I know it's a little different for us expats living abroad, as my application was made through the US consulate proxy here in Taiwan. They are pretty efficient with passport renewals, but I checked on the USDOS website, and for US-based applications, they're currently quoting expedited lead times of 3-5 weeks*. So get on it now.

Definitely do NOT try to leave it to chance, hoping that Sri Lanka will take pity on you after you share your sob story. The more likely outcome will be that the cruise ship won't let you board, or will require that you disembark in India (assuming you already have an Indian visa).

And let this be a good lesson to never let your passport expire (which, for all practical purposes, happens at 6 months before the printed renewal date).

*assuming you're a US citizen--my assumption since you said you're flying back to LAX after the cruise
Davvidd and seavisionburma like this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skyman65
Yeah, so I don't see what the problem is. Apply for a new passport, request expedited service, get your visa.

Problem [probably] solved, barring any unusual hiccups.

I just renewed my passport in August by mail, and I had it in two weeks. Now, I know it's a little different for us expats living abroad, as my application was made through the US consulate proxy here in Taiwan. They are pretty efficient with passport renewals, but I checked on the USDOS website, and for US-based applications, they're currently quoting expedited lead times of 3-5 weeks*. So get on it now.

Definitely do NOT try to leave it to chance, hoping that Sri Lanka will take pity on you after you share your sob story. The more likely outcome will be that the cruise ship won't let you board, or will require that you disembark in India (assuming you already have an Indian visa).

And let this be a good lesson to never let your passport expire (which, for all practical purposes, happens at 6 months before the printed renewal date).

*assuming you're a US citizen--my assumption since you said you're flying back to LAX after the cruise
not much choice - was on a travel streak and need it every month for now.

Question what do these people do that need a passport every 3-4 weeks for travel.
I have met business people that basically commute from England or France to the east coast every 10 days.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ente_09

Question what do these people do that need a passport every 3-4 weeks for travel.
I have met business people that basically commute from England or France to the east coast every 10 days.
Some countries including the UK have a procedure which needs some justification whereby people who need their passports most of the time due to frequent travel can be issued a 2nd passport so one can be off being visa'd or renewed whilst you're using the other one.
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Some countries you can apply for a passport and they cancel the old passport when you are getting the new one. Which means you use the old passport until you collect the new one.
The 6 months expiry is there for most of the countries. Sri Lanka would not accept it and as another OP said the cruise probably would not let you board either.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 6:34 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by ente_09
If you want to get on that cruise, better stop responding with 'justification' why you could not do it and get your new passport now.
LETTERBOY and seavisionburma like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.