New airport in Siem Reap: transportation options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2023, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...

Siem Reap old airport (REP) is closing on 16 October and all the flights are moved to the new airport (SAI), much more far away and the new highway not yet 100% completed. The hotels already started to offer quite exorbitant (for Siem Reap) pick-up fees (60 USD per car or higher). I understand there will be regular bus connection, going every hour, but the information is not clear and the new website of the SAI airport is quite dead. Any information from the insiders?
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by kaspars
Siem Reap old airport (REP) is closing on 16 October and all the flights are moved to the new airport (SAI), much more far away and the new highway not yet 100% completed. The hotels already started to offer quite exorbitant (for Siem Reap) pick-up fees (60 USD per car or higher). I understand there will be regular bus connection, going every hour, but the information is not clear and the new website of the SAI airport is quite dead. Any information from the insiders?
This is an excellent idea! Thank you for starting this new link to gain helpful information about the new airport in Siem Reap. Since about 2.6 million tourists visit Angkor Wat every year, the new airport impacts almost all tourists! We are planning to visit this place in February 2024 and hence will eagerly await to read any new details about this airport.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
as of now there is no clear information... I hope more clarity will be there as soon the operations start from there-in 3 days from today
Jaytraveller likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 11:19 am

Old Oct 13, 2023, 1:55 pm

Thumbs up Looks Great!

Thank you for posting this very helpful and informative video! New Airport looks good! About 44 kilometers from town is not that bad. I am excited to visit Siem Reap, come February 2024!!

Jay
Old Oct 14, 2023, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing, Lets see how it will go in real life with the transfers etc... 14.50 USD per way (plus 1+ hr in transit) in a shared bus is VERY steep for Cambodia for 40km, but I guess they will have some monopoly.

Missing the 15 min journey time and 5 USD tuk tuk drive from the old airport already...

Last edited by kaspars; Oct 14, 2023 at 3:04 am
Old Oct 14, 2023, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
I recall getting a horse drawn tuktuk to REP, good memories. Possibly not useful for the thread but a memory nevertheless. Apologies for my ramblings.
uanj and kaspars like this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I will be among the ones who will regret also the old airport. It was so convenient and easy/cheap to reach. 44 km is really super far for Cambodia and I really don't know why they did it so far when you see all this empty land everywhere.
60 USD is certainly expensive for Cambodia but not that much for a 44 km distant airport. I am more concerned about the time it takes to go there as I am not sure they have built highways.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
60 USD is certainly expensive for Cambodia but not that much for a 44 km distant airport. I am more concerned about the time it takes to go there as I am not sure they have built highways.
I hope the prices will stabilize over time, I heard some of the taxis already offer better prices. I would say 25 USD would be my target price but not sure if that will happen. I will aim for shared bus personally. There is a new highway now, apparently 90% finished, but not fully until SR...
Jaytraveller likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
very interesting video linked above. Looks beautiful. But at the same time, I worry about the future conditions to visit Angkor, with such a big airport and the crowd it will cater
Jaytraveller likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 2:30 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Sofitel has just told me its transfer costs - not sure if that is per person or car.

Hotel airport transfer service is available at USD 70.00 per way and USD 130.00 for round trip, rate is subject to 18.80% of service charge and tax.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by hotel_user
Sofitel has just told me its transfer costs - not sure if that is per person or car.

Hotel airport transfer service is available at USD 70.00 per way and USD 130.00 for round trip, rate is subject to 18.80% of service charge and tax.
certainly per car.
Jaytraveller likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotel_user

wow, that is incredible amount... so far highest I heard was 60 USD per way. And be warned: they will even add 18% more....
hotel_user likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
very interesting video linked above. Looks beautiful. But at the same time, I worry about the future conditions to visit Angkor, with such a big airport and the crowd it will cater
The runway is longer, so they could land widebody aircrafts. So yes, in theory they could make Angkor complex overflow with Chinese tourists. But to me the project is more to "manage" nice big project with Chinese company, and pocket some money in between...
Old Oct 16, 2023, 2:36 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Back in 2016 we had a car and driver hired for 10 hours for $35 to drive around at a distant temples totally about 120 km for the whole day. Plus $$8 for petrol and $5 - tip.

$130 plus 18% is something like 20x markup of driver and fuel costs.

I am glad that I visited Angkor when entrance fee was ‘just’ USD $40 for foreign tourists. And even before Covid, Cambodia was more expensive than Vietnam or Indonesia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.