Taipei EasyCard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taipei EasyCard

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2023, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
If it's 1:1, that's a pretty good deal! Easy 3x UR with CSR.
Or 5x on Citi Prestige. However, the largest preloaded amount I've seen is TWD 400 and can only be done once for those without an EasyCard (since the TWD 100 is non-refundable). 80 TYP or 50 MR/UR is probably not worth the trouble of going through a shady OTA and risking getting Magecarted
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It looks like there are some apps released for the EasyCard but it’s totally confusing and unclear if you can get a virtual EasyCard on your iPhone if you don’t have a postpaid local telecom account. There are two apps, the explanations and descriptions are horrible.

Is there a way to transfer my existing plastic Easycard on to my iPhone or create a new virtual Easycard via the app and recharge it using Apple Pay and a non Taiwan credit card?
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It looks like there are some apps released for the EasyCard but it’s totally confusing and unclear if you can get a virtual EasyCard on your iPhone if you don’t have a postpaid local telecom account. There are two apps, the explanations and descriptions are horrible.

Is there a way to transfer my existing plastic Easycard on to my iPhone or create a new virtual Easycard via the app and recharge it using Apple Pay and a non Taiwan credit card?
I wanna know too.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:40 am

On Android there are a few ways (NFC SIM, Easy Wallet, and some payment apps like Samsung Pay). But none works on iPhone.

Taipei Metro plans to upgrade the ticket gates in 2026. The new gates will support NFC credit card payment (like Taoyuan Metro and Kaohsiung Metro).
bocastephen and lsquare like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
On Android there are a few ways (NFC SIM, Easy Wallet, and some payment apps like Samsung Pay). But none works on iPhone.

Taipei Metro plans to upgrade the ticket gates in 2026. The new gates will support NFC credit card payment (like Taoyuan Metro and Kaohsiung Metro).
I thought Easy Wallet was available for iPhone per the website
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Source? That's awesome if true! 3x Chase UR from my CSR!!!
Old Nov 15, 2023, 1:15 am

I thought Easy Wallet was available for iPhone per the website
It is. But you can only use QR code payment on iPhone.

Source? That's awesome if true! 3x Chase UR from my CSR!!!
It was according to the testimonial Taipei Metro gave to the Taipei City Council earlier this year. You can read its entirety (in Chinese) here (page 22 onward). Bonus content: Taipei Metro and Easy Card's many excuses perspective of why there is no Apple Pay/Easy Card integration.

Better yet, if you have Citi Rewards+, you'll be getting 6-16x TYP
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It is. But you can only use QR code payment on iPhone.

It was according to the testimonial Taipei Metro gave to the Taipei City Council earlier this year. You can read its entirety (in Chinese) here (page 22 onward). Bonus content: Taipei Metro and Easy Card's many excuses perspective of why there is no Apple Pay/Easy Card integration.

Better yet, if you have Citi Rewards+, you'll be getting 6-16x TYP
How does that card work? Isn't there an FX fee? Wouldn't that make that card better than CSR for all travel purchases?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:21 am

How does that card work? Isn't there an FX fee? Wouldn't that make that card better than CSR for all travel purchases?
Rewards+ rounds up your purchase to the next 10 points. So if you take a short ride that costs TWD 20 ($0.62), you would be earning 10 points. I did forget about the 3% foreign transaction fee, so the effective earning rate would be 13%.

The Rewards+ works well only because public transit in Taiwan is very cheap, at least comparing to NA/EU/JP.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rewards+ rounds up your purchase to the next 10 points. So if you take a short ride that costs TWD 20 ($0.62), you would be earning 10 points. I did forget about the 3% foreign transaction fee, so the effective earning rate would be 13%.

The Rewards+ works well only because public transit in Taiwan is very cheap, at least comparing to NA/EU/JP.
Wouldn't it work well in transit systems around the world including London and Singapore?
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 7:13 am

Wouldn't it work well in transit systems around the world including London and Singapore?
No idea about London public transit, but definitely in Singapore
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.