Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Vietnam open to tourists ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2022, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Is Vietnam open to tourists ?

Lots of words @ https://vietnam.travel/things-to-do/...avirus-vietnam - anyone with practical info ?

Would be interested in the "independent travel" part and not a booked tour
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Looks like Vietnam is opening to all tourist at the end of March or April. Yet, I can’t seem to be able to find flights between the USA and Vietnam through Seoul or Tokyo. Not even direct from ICN or NRT to HAN or SGN.

Does any one have any insight on how to book?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
I just checked Japan Airlines from LAX to SGN (via NRT) in April there are flights on sale, around $1100 rt on economy.
As far as the country lifting COVID restriction by Mar/Apr time frame, speaking for myself, I am going to wait for the actual measures to take place before I start thinking about a trip. It is important for me to see how the provinces will apply the decree, assumed that it will be released as promised.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by fromYXU
Looks like Vietnam is opening to all tourist at the end of March or April. Yet, I can’t seem to be able to find flights between the USA and Vietnam through Seoul or Tokyo. Not even direct from ICN or NRT to HAN or SGN.

Does any one have any insight on how to book?
There are flights on sale via Japan and Korea, and also some brand spanking new direct flights SGN-SFO-SGN on VN. These are operating already, but independent tourism isn't open yet (i.e. you can't get a visa unless you're coming on a package tour). Various sources say March, April or May for independent tourism reopening. I would suggest waiting until you hear about some people actually doing it, as the government here is quite reactionary and things can change at short notice.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:25 pm

Likewise have this question. My mother would like to visit her family, but I’m confused if they’re offering tourist / family visit visas. There are third-party sites (eVisa or MyVietnamVisa) which appear to accepting orders, I’m confused if that means that anyone can enter at this time.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:28 pm

There are no normal tourist visas (for independent travel) yet. There are tourist visas for organised group tours only. If your mother's family are willing to sponsor her, an agent should be able to get you a family visit visa. I would suggest working with an inbound travel agent here in Vietnam rather than those sites.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
All reports suggest next month:
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...th-2022-02-15/
Vietnam's tourism ministry on Tuesday proposed a full reopening of the country to foreign visitors and a lifting of nearly all travel restrictions from March 15, three months earlier than planned.
Each traveler must also buy Covid-19 medical insurance coverage worth $10,000, the government statement said. How and where do you get that?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 6:33 pm

Each traveler must also buy Covid-19 medical insurance coverage worth $10,000, the government statement said. How and where do you get that?
As a tourist, any reputable travel insurance with sufficient cover should suffice. Note that this is just a proposal at this stage, and could (i.e. will) change. In particular it's very common in Vietnam for onerous restrictions to be applied at first and then quickly scrapped.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/...5-4428237.html
The referenced article seems to imply that the inbound traveler will purchase that $10,000 COVID medical insurance policy from the government(?) for USD 30.
Personally, I would not plan any trip to Vietnam until June or July at the earliest to let the kinks in the laws work themselves out, at the national level as well as at the local provincial/town level. I look at this 3/15 opening date similar to a restaurant soft opening date, as adjustments are likely needed.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by hxhbk
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/...5-4428237.html
The referenced article seems to imply that the inbound traveler will purchase that $10,000 COVID medical insurance policy from the government(?) for USD 30.
Personally, I would not plan any trip to Vietnam until June or July at the earliest to let the kinks in the laws work themselves out, at the national level as well as at the local provincial/town level. I look at this 3/15 opening date similar to a restaurant soft opening date, as adjustments are likely needed.
The actual article quote is:
International visitors to Vietnam need to have medical insurance cover for Covid treatment worth at least $10,000, which costs around $30.
I don't interpret that as the government getting into the insurance business, but rather as the newspaper giving a rough guideline as to what that level of insurance cover costs.

Agreed that unless you are comfortable with sudden changes in rules and thus potentially needing to change your plans at short notice, it would be best to wait a while. As usual, those who don't feel the need to book months in advance will have the easiest time of it...
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:24 am

So Vietnam in general hasn't opened to tourists, however I am unclear if Phu Quoc is an exemption, like it was before.
There are lots of flights to Vietnam now, the only direct from the US is VN from SFO, but otherwise the standard connections seem to be back in place.
As for now, the current rule is PCR within 72 hours of arrival so that makes circuitous itineraries harder.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
So Vietnam in general hasn't opened to tourists, however I am unclear if Phu Quoc is an exemption, like it was before.
There are lots of flights to Vietnam now, the only direct from the US is VN from SFO, but otherwise the standard connections seem to be back in place.
As for now, the current rule is PCR within 72 hours of arrival so that makes circuitous itineraries harder.
Phu Quoc along with several other localities have been participating in a pilot scheme allowing tourists to visit on a scheduled itinerary organised by a travel agent (i.e. tour groups).

There are indeed many international flights running, and if you have an existing visa that is valid (or can get one, either via the abovementioned pilot scheme or for a non-tourism purpose) you can come already. Independent tourism starts March 15.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:22 pm

Question

Originally Posted by s0ssos
which flight is that direct one you mentioned?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Mentioned upthread. Vietnam Airlines started flying direct SGN-SFO-SGN in November. One rotation on each of Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun. It's bookable in both directions but in the SFO-SGN direction you need to already have a valid visa (and tourist visa issuance hasn't started yet except for approved group tours).
Old Feb 18, 2022, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by flyingsloth
vn99 sfo sgn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.