Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Dave510
I certainly hope (and believe it's very likely) that you're both right, but COVID and its endless strains have really curbed my optimism.

Some countries might have greater regulation and enforcement (for a while), but the country with the greatest number of wet markets is unlikely to change anything substantial. They're painting everything as a East vs. West thing now, and shutting down wet markets will be seen as a loss for the "east".
I'm aware that it'll be controversial to shut down the wet markets, but do we want another pandemic at the end of the day?

I already went to Singapore twice this year, and that's more travel than I've done in the past two years! I don't want to go back to lockdown!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm aware that it'll be controversial to shut down the wet markets, but do we want another pandemic at the end of the day?

I already went to Singapore twice this year, and that's more travel than I've done in the past two years! I don't want to go back to lockdown!
No objections here, sadly none of us (or even the citizens of that particular country) have any say on whether their policy makers follow common sense.
lsquare and gudugan like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Weyland Yutani Corp
First time I went to Taiwan to visit my in-laws in Taichung, who live in a nice townhome, they said "let's go to the market". That was an eye-opener. While the fruit and veggies were beautiful looking, I couldn't get past the stink, live chickens and wet potholed walking surfaces. Chaotic as well, and now being even more germ conscious I wouldn't go near that place without double-masking or just not going.
Yeah, those older markets can be like that. But wet markets can also be done right. I go to one here in Tainan that is relatively new, clean, brightly lit, doesn't stink.

There's another one closer to my house that is old, dark, dirty, and very sketch. I generally avoid that one.
Old May 28, 2022, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skyman65
Yeah, those older markets can be like that. But wet markets can also be done right. I go to one here in Tainan that is relatively new, clean, brightly lit, doesn't stink.

There's another one closer to my house that is old, dark, dirty, and very sketch. I generally avoid that one.
It's not just avoiding those sketchy markets. There have to be protocols to minimize the possibility of transmitting viruses from animal to human. This is what we think happened in Wuhan. It can happen anywhere, and who knows what this time will be like. Quite frankly, I don't want to know!
Old May 28, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: Alaska
It's not just avoiding those sketchy markets. There have to be protocols to minimize the possibility of transmitting viruses from animal to human. This is what we think happened in Wuhan. It can happen anywhere, and who knows what this time will be like. Quite frankly, I don't want to know!

There are more instances of virus jumping from farm animals to human being as there are new variants of bird flu, swine flu every year than coronavirus.
Old May 28, 2022, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freed0m
There are more instances of virus jumping from farm animals to human being as there are new variants of bird flu, swine flu every year than coronavirus.
Knowing what we know, we just need to do things differently. We're finally emerging from the pandemic. Let's make sure we have best practices so that no one else here will go through another pandemic in their lifetime. One is enough for me!
Old May 28, 2022, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yeah, but in Taiwan, they're really not selling the "exotic" stuff in these markets. Just chicken, pork, beef, and fish.
Old May 28, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: Alaska
Knowing what we know, we just need to do things differently. We're finally emerging from the pandemic. Let's make sure we have best practices so that no one else here will go through another pandemic in their lifetime. One is enough for me!
it is part of nature. Virus mutates and jumps from one specie to another specie. Most of virus is of little harm to human beings. Every once in a while, we get a bad one, it is just by chance and random.

what is more important is to timely report and collective prevention to stop the spread early.
Cryofern likes this.

Last edited by freed0m; May 28, 2022 at 4:28 am
Old May 30, 2022, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So, I just finished listening to the CECC's daily press conference. Regarding any changes to the current traveler quarantine requirements, nothing was officially announced. However, Director Chen was asked if they are leaning toward moving to a 3+4 quarantine + self monitoring, or 0+7 (no quarantine, 7 days of self monitoring). The response was that they are looking at a gradual reduction of quarantine, but are unlikely in the near term to eliminate it altogether.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:16 pm

My wife and kids just went to Taiwan a few days ago, I'm heading there first week of July. Signs are good based on today's conference that quarantine will be reduced by the time I go but unfortunately not likely to be eliminated. Also hoping by then I don't need to take a quarantine taxi and can take MRT. They had a long line to get taxis and were made to take 2 (there were 4 of them and could only have 3 passengers max). Their driver indicated he believed it was going to go away in next week or two. I also haven't gotten by Visa yet as the folks at TECO suggested I wait until a week or two before I leave, I don't see that requirement disappearing. We first booked in January but had to change a couple times due to Eva keep cancelling flights (so all on United now) and University plans for my oldest changing up our summer schedule. Looking forward to getting back there (it's been 3 years) so I haven't even seen our new place yet where I plan to retire. I also need to diet this month so I can enjoy some tasty food.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:19 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by Ice Machine
I also need to diet this month so I can enjoy some tasty food.
The REAL reason to go is always in the final statement!

Are you taking SFO>TPE on UA?
Cryofern likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ice Machine
........... I'm heading there first week of July. Signs are good based on today's conference that quarantine will be reduced by the time I go but unfortunately not likely to be eliminated.........
I see the quarantine will likely be 3 to 5 days based on how the announcement was phrased.
Old May 30, 2022, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
I see the quarantine will likely be 3 to 5 days based on how the announcement was phrased.
General consensus in the rumor mill is 3+4, which it seems is the best we can hope for now. But I've also heard speculation of a 5+5.
Old May 30, 2022, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Weyland Yutani Corp
Are you taking SFO>TPE on UA?
I'll also be taking UA next month, via SFO.
Old May 30, 2022, 4:56 pm

Yes IAH-SFO-TPE, July 7 to 31. Original flights were EVA direct and then through NRT on UA but last leg to TPE on EVA which also ended up being cancelled. Originally all 5 of us were going for 2 months and I was going to work remotely but we had to make some schedule changes anyhow so the EVA cancellations worked in our favour as no additional fees, we were using miles so the new flights would have been more. United had also cancelled my wife and one of my child's flights for no discernable reason they could figure out. Took my wife 5 hours on the phone with them last week just a couple days before they left but it got fixed. We have such an odd schedule with folks going and leaving at different times and my youngest, a minor coming back with me so needed to link them so she's not considered unaccompanied. Oldest is only there for 2 weeks since she has University orientation, she still wanted to really go even though she has to quarantine for a week. At least the fact that I had to delay 5 weeks to accommodate her schedule will mean less quarantine for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.