Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

KUL day trip

KUL day trip

Old Feb 28, 19, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX points
KUL day trip

I'll be in SIN and was thinking about a day trip to KUL, but not having been there before I don't know if it's a fools errand with immigration inbound and outbound. I see there's rapid transport to the city center so if I land at 9 am and depart at 9 pm, how much time will I have realistically have in KUL city? It also appears the "must see" areas are very spread out so I may not get much accomplished.

I won't have access to any priority lines and will be traveling on a US passport.
Old Feb 28, 19, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Try doing a search "KUL layover" has been discussed before ... 7 hour layover in KL
Old Feb 28, 19, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Yes, I had read several threads. My concern is with current and typical immigration lines and how much time should be budgeted to enter and leave the country. 30 minutes each entry/exit or 90 minutes each entry/exit is a big difference when you are only spending the day. Is landing at 9 am worse than landing at 7 am, etc.
Old Mar 1, 19, 1:19 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
This is a crazy idea IMO. You will spend most of the day traveling rather than sightseing. KLIA is far from the city center. Spend at least 1 night in KUL; otherwise your time is much better spent in SIN. If you really want to visit Malaysia you can make a day trip to JB just across the SG/Malaysian border.
Old Mar 1, 19, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
This is a crazy idea IMO. You will spend most of the day traveling rather than sightseing. KLIA is far from the city center. Spend at least 1 night in KUL; otherwise your time is much better spent in SIN. If you really want to visit Malaysia you can make a day trip to JB just across the SG/Malaysian border.
There are guides who offer 6+ hour layover itineraries which are highly rated. Not to throw myself OT, but is JB worth it for a day trip because I have no interest in legoland or hello kitty town.
Old Mar 2, 19, 7:02 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Its 30 minutes on the KL Ekspres to the city centre.
I've had various occasions in the past few years where I've had a half day layover, gone for lunch or shopping in the city centre (much better dim sum than where I'm based) and still made it back to the airport with time to enjoy the lounge. Enjoyable, easy to get around, and worthwhile.

What's particularly crazy about this, please do tell?

Besides, the OP doesn't say "I'm staying overnight", or "I want to visit JB", it asks for advice about a day trip in KL.
downinit likes this.
Old Mar 2, 19, 7:07 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
I'll be in SIN and was thinking about a day trip to KUL, but not having been there before I don't know if it's a fools errand with immigration inbound and outbound. I see there's rapid transport to the city center so if I land at 9 am and depart at 9 pm, how much time will I have realistically have in KUL city? It also appears the "must see" areas are very spread out so I may not get much accomplished.

I won't have access to any priority lines and will be traveling on a US passport.
Figure on having from 10.30-18.00 in the city from your timings above. Also depends on which airline you use, as therest two different terminals. KLIA 2 can have long walks between gate and immigration.

But your plan will work fine. KL is a great city to wander around for the day.
Old Mar 2, 19, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seavisionburma View Post
Figure on having from 10.30-18.00 in the city from your timings above. Also depends on which airline you use, as therest two different terminals. KLIA 2 can have long walks between gate and immigration.

But your plan will work fine. KL is a great city to wander around for the day.
Thanks. I guess I could take any airline... Scoot, air Asia, SQ, MH...

I don't mind the walk, but if the immigration line is typically much longer at one terminal over the other, I'm happy to take advice on which carrier I should fly.
Old Mar 2, 19, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Immigration lines can be slow at both KLIA and KLIA 2, although I doubt I ever spent longer than 20 - 30 minutes in either. I fully recommend doing the day trip, as mentioned up thread, you have enough time to do quite a "few" things. KILA Express will drop you at KL Sentral Station. From there you can take a Grab car to get a shot of the Petronas Towers on the corner of Jalan Ampang and Jalan Ramlee. You can walk from there over to the KLCC shopping mall for a bit of lunch (food court is decent), or just a bit of wandering. After a that, you can take another grab over to the Batu Caves. I wouldn't recommend going up the steps, not that fascinating up there, but still a photo outside is probably warranted. After, you can take Grab again, this time over to Bukit Bintang. Quite touristy on that end, but worth a stop. If you want local fare, it will be a bit early for the closest true hawker experience (Jalan Alor), but you can visit the food court in the basement of the LOT 10 shopping plaza. They have a great selection of dishes from across Malaysia, really good I'd say. After eating again, you can head over to the Pavilion shopping plaza for a bit of shopping or wandering in AirCon. If you want to try KL tower and still have time, consider taking the ride up.

Not a whole lot to do in KL other than eat from my perspective. Lots of great restaurants and bars, but as you will not stay the night, not worth mentioning. I was on assignment for 6 months in 2016/2017 and generally left the city for trips to other countries in true FlyerTalker fashion. Visited all of ASEAN minus the Philippines . I go back 2 to 3 times per year.

In short, you have more than enough time to get a flavor for KL. Note, traffic can be terrible in the city center and the KLIA Express is the fastest way to get into KL. Don't bother with a taxi until you are in town. If you are comfortable with taking public transportation, LRT / Monorail are okay options as well. Use Grab, regular taxis will generally be a hassle.

Cheers
Old Mar 3, 19, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good advice! Will definitely start researching.
Old Mar 3, 19, 9:52 pm

Immigration at KLIA is a bit unpredictable. I've travelled there a number of times in the last 5 years and sometimes I can be through immigration in no time, and sometimes, it's a long wait.

Also depending on how you plan to get around KL, traffic can be appalling both in the morning and evening rush hours.

I realise someone has already said you are talking about KL, but I would seriously consider other Malaysia locations - JB (Johor Baru) is just over the border to Singapore and it reduces any chances of missed flights; other places worth a visit which may be less busy - Penang and Malacca.