Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Day in Kathmandu?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

One Day in Kathmandu?

Heading to Nepal on a short work trip (never been before) and I'll have exactly one personal day to spend in Kathmandu.

I'm a woman biz traveler in my early 30s - travel a bunch for work, so pretty street smart, I hope/think?! - and I usually am fine planning my own "free day" so to speak. However I'm thinking I'd like to do a more structured "tour" or similar when I'm in Kathmandu as it's going to be at the very end of a very long work trip all over Asia, I'll be tired by the time I end up in Nepal, and I don't want to have to think too hard about where I'm going, how to get there, safety, etc.

Can anyone recommend any one-day tours/tour operators? Or companies they've used before for something similar in Kathmandu? Would love to hit the "famous" stupas (even if just for a quick stop) and see various parts of "must-see" Kathmandu.

(Yes, there's the "hire a driver and do it yourself" option, but hoping to make this easy on myself...). Searched the forum but didn't see anything.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:31 pm

If staying in town you can easily do it yourself with a full-day taxi. Patan Durbar Square is good - have a tea in the garden restaurant. Also the small town of Kirtipur (10 minutes from town). Lunch or dinner or Caroline's at Babar Mahal. And a look at Bodha also worth it. That gives you a nice overall perspective of the city.

If you want a guided city tour - or a half or full day trek or similar (easy to do depending on weather) you can check with socialtours.com. Highly rated and offers more than cookie-cutter options.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
I was there last October and had two personal days. I found Balaram from Thamel Travels and Tours and he and his wife took me around for a few days. Was structured, organized, good communication, and he gave me some great recommendations on things to do after our day ended (similar to what erik123 did above). I also thought he was very reasonably priced and made it a smooth, enjoyable, and memorable trip.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
FWIW, my best day in Kathmandu in a March of one year was in renting a bicycle and taking it around the Kathmandu valley. It was surprisingly workable intown and did well for the outer areas (very picturesque). Admittedly I had three full days so it was easier within that, but I might not have thought to do it if the Lonely Planet hadn't recommended it.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:41 am

Location: Dorset, United Kingdom. Frequently at higher altitudes.
Programs: BAEC Gold and a few others
Kathmandu is great fun, we were there a few weeks ago.

Welcome to drop me a PM and we can sort a local guide for you. It is inexpensive and worth it, as you say, to avoid the hassle, or a taxi driver who can't tell you much about what you see!

Oh and make sure you have a pizza at Fire and Ice. it is a bit of an institution, and the pizzas are fantastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.